3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is that what you took away from watching Fox? I thought he was composed and made some really smart plays. He was far from perfect but he showed himself well in his first playoff game.
Remember, unless your last name is Orr, a successful breakout is a more about team structure than individual ability. There were many times that Fox escaped the forecheck, made the first pass, only to have the puck turned right back at him.
I think Fox is already a borderline elite player, so a “far from perfect” game by him will have a disastrous effect on the game.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
No one was great.
The team work was worse, weak at both ends of the ice, unimpressive on specials.
I am not a fairweather guy,
I totally believe they can win 3 of 4.
By playing much better 1 thru 19

Reactions: CasusBelli

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Canes are a much more polished, better coached and well rounded team. Much deeper (and that was without Hamilton and Pesce), with the elite talent to match anyone, practically the perfect team for playoff hockey as long as their goaltending holds up.

A nightmare draw really. Those 4 wins during the regular season might as well been a decade ago.

We are a team two years into a rebuild that has nothing to show for it's most important trade and 2nd highest draft pick.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The reason we’ve been successful against Carolina in recent years, this year included, is that we’ve gotten good goaltending - but more importantly IMO is that we are a quality over quantity team. We have/had goalies good enough to eat up the quantity being thrown at them but ultimately we would win out on quality or chances. We would have better high danger chances and we would capitalize on them. Happened with AV and it’s happened with Quinn.

Tonight we did not own the quality battle. I could count on one hand the amount of times Mrazek had to make a nice save or the amount of times it felt like we might score.

It was endless dump and chase and out for the first two periods. And normally that would suck but could be a fact of life in the playoffs but tonight it was even worse bc we were gifted so many PP chances and we did nothing with them, let alone the no goals but barely generated any momentum. Just atrocious those PPs were.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Best surprise for me were especially Smith but also Staal. Kreider by far biggest disappointment.

Hank was strong too. Really tough situation. Think he should have started over Shesty no matter what. Look at EDM. We could have had a collapse too. If Hank gets one, who cares 12 months from now? A horrible game from Shesty could have had career impact.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No one was great.
The team work was worse, weak at both ends of the ice, unimpressive on specials.
I am not a fairweather guy,
I totally believe they can win 3 of 4.
By playing much better 1 thru 19

I think there's some weird belief amongst some fans that if you think the Rangers will lose a series you're a bad or fairweather fan. I don't get it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Our biggest problem is that we clearly have top players who takes things into their own hands while we have a coach who just don’t get the game at an elite level.

Sure this is the POs, but compare how we looked against Carolina earlier in the season to today. What is the difference? Roughly it was that we didn’t buy our self any time on the ice anywhere. Without any single doubt. We made it super easy for Carolina.

And not only didn’t we do what needed to be done, we instead digged a deeper hole by doing the exact opposite things. “Getting on the inside”. “Putting pucks on the net”. No it was not time to throw pucks away or skate around finishing every hit. We should have been patient. Gone back to the basics — of this team’s — game.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm going to murder a dead horse here . . . today's game but the Rangers took Necas and the Canes Andersson.

Reactions: McSauer

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Stat cards up for anyone bored.

BXj4lfF.png

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Pretty sweet though that Kakko got to play 6:48 with Panarin. That’s more than he played with any other player. Kakko also played more 5v5 shifts than again any other player sans Panarin with 19.

He was our best forward. If he keeps it up I want him playing more.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Remember this post next time you yourself want to say what a player should do on a hockey message board. As if you’re above it. Just remember it.
Will do, I'll even bookmark it.

Honestly, I don't even care when people share their opinion on what a player should do. That's fine. You're just so intensely negative with Lundqvist all the f***ing time and it's old. Like today, dude goes out there not knowing he's going to start until the previous night and plays a damn good game. And your response to that is that he should retire? Come on.

The post I quoted where you concluded he should retire was probably the most neutral thing you've said about him in years.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Best surprise for me were especially Smith but also Staal. Kreider by far biggest disappointment.

Hank was strong too. Really tough situation. Think he should have started over Shesty no matter what. Look at EDM. We could have had a collapse too. If Hank gets one, who cares 12 months from now? A horrible game from Shesty could have had career impact.

Lundqvist got obliterated in his first playoff start

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

I recall him getting lit up the first couple series. Wasn't there a narrative for a while that he was big game choker?

The sooner Igor gets in his playoff reps the better. The experience helps.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
At least Kakko and Gauthier looked like they took some big steps forward. That's the only nice thing I have to say about that.

Hank kept it close.
This. The Carolinas played great defense on our best players. It’s that simple. Some of the depth guys stepped up but not nearly enough. As happens in the playoffs, depth, timely scoring, goaltending...it’s a game of inches and being cool under pressure. They will take away a ton from this game. Hopefully they are quick studies.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
This thread brings me back to the good ole days - abysmal special teams, defense and offense not clicking, yet goaltending is the focal point of conversation despite Hank playing a solid game.

Never change, HF.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I recall him getting lit up the first couple series. Wasn't there a narrative for a while that he was big game choker?

Just that first series against the Devils. He was really good against the Thrashers, Sabres and then the 2nd Devils series.

Then he had a bad stretch until the 2012 playoffs.

Reactions: Crease

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

His first playoff series he had one start the final three weeks or whatever because he had the hip injury. That coincided with the vision issues he complained about which were apparently severe migraines, which he started being treated for with medication (this was alternately reported as headaches caused by grinding his teeth at night).

Reactions: McSauer and Crease
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad