scoutman1's early look at 2017 NHL draft

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Vesalainen to the 1st round, Välimäki and Vaakanainen maybe a bit too high I'm just doubtful they'd be that good. Vesalainen will go TOP 15 I believe.

Tolvanen to the TOP-5 otherwise a good list i guess.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nice list, don't agree with everything here (Hischier is too low IMO), but can understand why players are where they're at. Curious question, why does Liljegren have the edge over Vaakanainen and Valimaki? And how does Comtois go over Vilardi? I'm a big Gabriel fan, so I might overrate his playing ability.

Vesalainen definitely top10. Tolvanen is too high at 7, more like 15-30. Same with Yamamoto, no hell in 2017 midgets will be drafted top10
I can guarantee you that Yamamoto will be drafted in the top 10.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Nice list, don't agree with everything here (Hischier is too low IMO), but can understand why players are where they're at. Curious question, why does Liljegren have the edge over Vaakanainen and Valimaki? And how does Comtois go over Vilardi? I'm a big Gabriel fan, so I might overrate his playing ability.

I can guarantee you that Yamamoto will be drafted in the top 10.

Well for starters he just made the u18 team that Vilardi was cut from.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
This draft looks very interesting a year out. Other than Patrick and maybe Liljegren and Comtois, there hasn't been many players that have separated themselves from the pack. This looks like a draft where the lists in the beginning of the year will look very different from the one at the end, even more so than the average draft.

Josh Brooks is a player not in this top 60 list that I like, has battled injuries this year but I've been impressed since watching him play at the Canada winter games.

I also noticed that Max Gildon wasn't in the top 60, has he disappointed similarly to Griffin Luce?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I haven't really started to pay attention to the 2017 draft yet, but I have to echo the calls here of Vesalainen being too low. I also think that the other Finns might be a bit too high. Thanks for the list anyway!

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Lias Andersson Boqvist, Pettersson and Brännström is better than Davidsson and Hugg at this moment. I would have Vesalainen in top 30, but he is starting to become little bit overrated on this board. He has talent, but is to inconsistent he has not been at the same level as those I just mention during this season. He can become the better player, he has some intresting tools, but he hasnt been the last season.

I would go so far and say that Brännström has been better than Liljegren this season, so to see Liljegren as number 2 and Brännström not at all on the list is little weird. I can buy that he is before him on this list, but not by that much. If liljegren is top 2, then Brännström should easily be top 15 at this moemtn. Then we will se how they do next year when they shall take the next step. But he should absolutly be rank before Tilander at this moment at least. Brännström is already much better and one year younger.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Good list, I just want to know why you rate the two Finnish D so highly? Also I thought, Middelstadt, L.Andersson, and the Russians Kostin and Slepets were low.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Very good list, but Vesalainen (4 time champion this year), is top10 or at least very close that. Also those midgeds wont go that high, doesn't matter if they score 200 points (or maybe then), if you are 5'9 all smaller, you don't get drafter top10 maybe even not top15. That's the case always and Yamamoto is actually 5'8.

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Good list, I just want to know why you rate the two Finnish D so highly? Also I thought, Middelstadt, L.Andersson, and the Russians Kostin and Slepets were low.

Cause they are highly toughed prospect, big, skates very good, play very comfort in D and they will rise up to help offensive, they play pretty hard in boards and wins the battles, very good in defensive and positioning also point product is very good (same level offensive than Liljegren). They won U18 gold and was one of the best's defenders in championship, both were close to get U20 team this year already. I think they can even rise those list when everything is say and done. Maybe you don't seen them that much, but they are absolutely good in they age group. Vaakanainen is lot like Olli Juolevi and Välimäki is like young Ristolainen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for putting together this list, and at least it gives us whom to watch and pay attention to. It's also fun looking back at last years list, and seeing how much the rankings have changed over time.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Vaakanainen and Välimäki are solid prospects. But both going that high would mean that 2017 group of D-men is quite mediocre. First rounders yes, both top 10 not likely. Tolvanen is really interesting prospect. Vesalainen is not first round material yet.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Is it just me or does this 2017 draft seem a bit weaker than normal?

I'd also love to know how this draft competes to 2016 draft this year?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How does Patrick compare to this years top three?

Patrick had the third highest primary points in the CHL this past season, for players who as at this point are undrafted, behind Dubois and DeBrincat. He certainly compares well to the top three in this draft.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Patrick had the third highest primary points in the CHL this past season, for players who as at this point are undrafted, behind Dubois and DeBrincat. He certainly compares well to the top three in this draft.

That doesn't make sense. The top three in the draft aren't in the CHL.

By your logic, does DeBrincat also compare to the top three?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That doesn't make sense. The top three in the draft aren't in the CHL.

By your logic, does DeBrincat also compare to the top three?

Sorry, you've completely misunderstood the information provided, and it's intent.

It's simply to state, that in his draft -1 year, he's outscored all draft year players, except two, in primary points. That is pretty impressive. The only player to score more points than him in the CHL this year, that is draft eligible is Tkachuk.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mismash must be a power forward who plays a straight forward physical game.

I know this is a joke, but sort of. Speedy, skilled, with decent size. Not overly punishing. I actually like him better than Bellows, but he isn't the truck that he is. Haven't seen either play for a year or so.

Mittelstadt has got to be higher. He's a gifted scorer, with great hands, and decent size.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Vaakanainen and Välimäki are solid prospects. But both going that high would mean that 2017 group of D-men is quite mediocre. First rounders yes, both top 10 not likely. Tolvanen is really interesting prospect. Vesalainen is not first round material yet.

Vaakanainen is better than both Juolevi and Maatta. He's Ristolainen level prospect, maybe even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad