scoutman1's early look at 2017 NHL draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kostin at 44 and Mittlestadt at 47 are way off from what I've seen. I have both as at least top 15, maybe top 10 or top 5.

Know nothing about Kostin, but agree with Mittelstadt. Unlike some in MN HS hockey(i.e. Jaxon Nelson 2018), he was playing against the strong teams week after week, not padding stats in weaker conferences.

SQJ

Jan 2, 2015
Vaakanainen and Välimäki are solid prospects. But both going that high would mean that 2017 group of D-men is quite mediocre. First rounders yes, both top 10 not likely. Tolvanen is really interesting prospect. Vesalainen is not first round material yet.

How is Vesalainen not a first round prospect? 24 games for Swedish champions as 16 year old this season and is extremely talented. In my opinion he has the biggest potential from this group of Finns.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
How is Vesalainen not a first round prospect? 24 games for Swedish champions as 16 year old this season and is extremely talented. In my opinion he has the biggest potential from this group of Finns.

Too inconsistent and somewhat lacking hockey IQ. However, I expect him mature to mid/late first-rounder during next season.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Vaakanainen and Välimäki way too high. Vesalainen way too low. I have Vesalainen top on my list on finnish players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
nice list as always scoutman.

Farrance has looked like the better dman over Gildon but Gildon should be in the top 60.

Casey Mittelstadt that low is a head scratcher for me. after the year he had and how well he looked at the u-18 with Yamamoto and Brown, I would be shocked if any scouting ranking has him outside the top 20 for this draft.

keep up the good work, always enjoy the reads.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
can someone break the top 20 into tiers ?

Pointless at this stage really, so much is going to change over the next 14 months the list itself is more of a "who to watch" so to say.

Breaking them into tiers would be extremely hard to accurately do as well as something that is changing so rapidly at this point.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Think Nolan Patrick is pretty much the consensus #1 at this point is he not?

Yup. He is a great talent. Cant wait to go watch him again Friday night. Hopefully they win the series and I can squeak out a few more games of live WHL playoff hockey to watch.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
nice list as always scoutman.

Farrance has looked like the better dman over Gildon but Gildon should be in the top 60.

Casey Mittelstadt that low is a head scratcher for me. after the year he had and how well he looked at the u-18 with Yamamoto and Brown, I would be shocked if any scouting ranking has him outside the top 20 for this draft.

keep up the good work, always enjoy the reads.
i might be hard on Gildon, I expected A LOT more out of him this year....Mittelstadt I have to say i have not seen much of him only saw him twice play, saw he was ultra talented did not know where to rank him limited view....hard to see everyone in depth

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scoutman

Mittelstadt plays HS in the suburb next to me on a traditionally strong team in the MPLS area. Wanted to emphasize that, unlike many other MN HS players, he plays agains the toughest competition night in, night out, in the league. I've forgotten if they played against Shattuck this year, also.

Bottom line is that his stats aren't padded by playing weaker teams.

If he fills out, I see him being a top 6 player in the NHL. His hands and quickness are special. He has this unique ability to Beat defenders in close quarters in the slot....you think he's trapped, and has nowhere to go, then you blink and he's squirted past them with a good scoring chance. In that ability I would liken him to a P. Kane. Really slick, quick hands.

If he keeps eating his Cheerios over the summer I see him being a top 10 guy. He should have decent size and strength...maybe 6' +? He won't be a " small" player, in any event.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Elias Pettersson, 6"1/152 lbs(!), I can see him rising after having some weight put on in the summer and work on his strength and skating to utilize his shot and amazing hockey sense.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
47. Casey Mittelstadt—F—Eden Prairie High 5’11/190
Not to pile on (because kudos to scoutman, having the knowledge and bravery to compile and publish such a thorough list garners respect) but barring major injury or illness the odds Mittelstadt is still available at pick #47 in the 2017 draft are extremely low. Right now he'd be way more likely to go #7 than #47. I mean just about any way you slice it he's a minimum top 15 prospect at this point in time.

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
WJC 18

1:Yamamoto 7 7 6 13
2 Tolvanen 7 7 2 9
3: Andersson 7 5 4 9
4: Mittelstadt 7 4 5 9
5: Krastenbergs 7 2 6 8
6: Pettersson 7 1 7 8
7: Shaw 7 1 6 7
8: Vesalainen 7 2 4 6
9: Liljegren 7 1 5 6
10: Bucek 5 4 1 5

Goals

1: Yamamoto/Tolvanen 7 7
3: Andersson 7 5
4: Bucek 5 4
5: Mittelstadt 7 4
6: Alexeyev / Marushev 5 3
8: Smirnovs 7 3
9: Davidsson 4 2
10: Ruzicka / Simic 5 2

Assist:
1: Pettersson 7 7
2: Yamamoto / Krastenbergs / Shaw 7 6
5: Mittelstadt / Liljegren 7 5
7: Samorukov / Kostin 5 4
9: Kotkansalo 6 4
10: Andersson / Vesalainen / Gatz Nielsen/ Martin 7 4

Scoutman1´s Top 10
Nolan Patrick Not playing
T Liljegren 7 1 5 6
Maxime Comtois 7 1 1 2
Urho Vaakanainen 7 1 2 3
Juuso Välimäki 6 0 2 2
Gabe Vilardi Not playing
Eeli Tolvanen 7 7 2 9
Kailer Yamamoto 7 7 6 13
Cal Foote Not playing
Scott Reedy Not playing

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just goaltender wise, what puts Scott ahead of Skinner and Baribeau in front of DiPietro in your opinion?

Good list as usual.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Just goaltender wise, what puts Scott ahead of Skinner and Baribeau in front of DiPietro in your opinion?

Good list as usual.
I'm torn with Scott and skinner...skinner right now is better but Scott is younger...I really like skinner though and probably should have him 1st amongst goalies....baribeau I really like his size and raw skill...dipietro the name scares me lol jk...I have not seen enough of dipetro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad