Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
PD's comments about this signing are completely antiquated thinking at this point. I also actually dont believe he believes anything he really said, he just wanted a cheap body.

He reminds me a lot of Chris Neil: good fighter who is able to keep up with the play.

I don't think the deterrent effect is what it used to be (and I always believed it was overstated anyway) but hard to not see what PD meant when Sabourin went to town on Domi.

I don't think anyone takes liberties physically like it sometimes happened but there is always value in pushing back. The nature of the push back has changed but grit is eternal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
... That's still up for debate, as far as I'm concerned.

I suppose it might depend on what it means. In my mind he tracked the game well and played within the limits of his abilities.

Obviously very small sample size but I can't say that what I saw has me worried about him being a liability on the ice. I still remember seeing Boro play for the first time and thinking "this guy is terrible with the puck and without it! Not to mention he is always falling down...."

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I didn’t mind what Matthews did at all. It’s trash talk.

The diverging perspective on this matter are fascinating.

I find most Americans love this stuff while we Canadians frown on it. I thought it was mostly dumb, I didn't even "get it" until after the fact. We frown on show boating while you guys celebrate it.

No right or wrong here. Just interesting cultural differences.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I suppose it might depend on what it means. In my mind he tracked the game well and played within the limits of his abilities.

Obviously very small sample size but I can't say that what I saw has me worried about him being a liability on the ice.
I'm perfectly fine with him being on the roster this year, but he's been a healthy scratch every year in the AHL aside from his rookie season, that usually means liability in the league, whether offensively, defensively, or both.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The diverging perspective on this matter are fascinating.

I find most Americans love this stuff while we Canadians frown on it. I thought it was mostly dumb, I didn't even "get it" until after the fact. We frown on show boating while you guys celebrate it.

No right or wrong here. Just interesting cultural differences.

Yeah I mean I loooved Ruutu so.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm perfectly fine with him being on the roster this year, but he's been a healthy scratch every year in the AHL aside from his rookie season, that usually means liability in the league, whether offensively, defensively, or both.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came to that, we only saw him do ok in pre season. Seems reasonable to think he might get left in the dust once the games count. So far so good is how I'd characterize my feeling on him at this point.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think this is more a message to our players, than anyone else.

Don't give it 100% in camp, then you don't make the team....even if it's the worst roster in the league. And yes, it's a feel good story and opportunity to get some "nice" pres clipping for the team for a day or two.

I'd be shocked if Sabourin was still in Ottawa past xmas.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
To be fair, Ruutu had a comedic side to his game that really elevated it.

That gif of him tripping some guy who wanted to fight him (I think it was Phaneuf?) as he gets off the ice is such a classic :laugh:

CharmingDirtyHousefly-size_restricted.gif

It's even better with commentary

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd assume he will, he struggles in the AHL. He's definitely nothing like Neil.

Here's hoping he doesn't, it's a great story

I was just reminded of Chris Neil when I watched Sabourin: good tough guy who can also play hockey instead of being one-dimensional.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Here's how I see it so far;

Start of training camp: This guy has character I like him.

Beats up Max Domi: Yup, he's already earned that contract.

Beats up any Leaf on opening day: Please keep him around all year.

Although I'm completely on board with eliminating the "goon" and ban fighting in general from hockey, I sometimes miss having a Neil, Carkner or McGrattan around...just incase.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Here's how I see it so far;

Start of training camp: This guy has character I like him.

Beats up Max Domi: Yup, he's already earned that contract.

Beats up any Leaf on opening day: Please keep him around all year.

Although I'm completely on board with eliminating the "goon" and ban fighting in general from hockey, I sometimes miss having a Neil, Carkner or McGrattan around...just incase.

I enjoy being entertained. Loved NEIL! And Carkner on our teams.

I also loved pests like Ruutu and Barnaby.

Reactions: Rand0m and Slack

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
All this talk of Ruutu reminds me that I like having a pest on the team. Am hoping Parker Kelly can fill that quota in the future for us.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Technically Tkachuk is a highly skilled pest. I'd rather him than a Neil or Ruutu anyday, but yes I see your point.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
BT isn’t a pest, at least in my definition.

A pest is a guy that agitates to the point where the other player goes after them, and then they turtle or refuse to drop their gloves.

BT is far more in your face with his irritations, and I don’t think he’s the type that will back down if his actions lead to fists.

Marchand is a pest, Ruutu was a pest. BT is shaping up to be like his father.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I didn’t mind what Matthews did at all. It’s trash talk.
honestrly, I think its unoriginal, and because it was the leafs sportsnet and tsn acted like it was the best chirp they had ever heard/seen and also the first time they had ever seen it. like they had segments asking the leafs players what they thought of the chirp... the team and the media surrounding it are getting out of control. easiest team to hate in pro sports at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia