Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who is upset?

I can dislike something a whole lot and not be upset about it. :laugh:
This move I can't say I like it, and I can look at the opportunity cost of it, and even discuss that easily without being upset.
I am not going to hate him being in the lineup. Its just for me personally, I would have gone in a different direction .. but that has happened a lot with the decisions mr. Dorion and co have made.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Glad they added sand paper.
We had some guys in the system that would have worked, but they were too busy getting arrested at Disney world.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There are valid reasons to like the signing, while also being valid reasons to dislike the signing. Not everything around here needs to be so black and white all the time.

Sabourin is cheap, knows his role and we won't stunt his development if he sits in the press box or plays 8 minutes a game.

Signing a 27 year old AHL lifer with limited upside and giving him NHL minutes is ill-advised. Having a guy like that eating up a valuable roster spot days before younger, better, higher ceiling players get waived and are available for free is a bit silly.

Both these statements can be true at the same time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
[mod]

anyways, good move for the team, a nice bit of energy, toughness, and a response to other teams taking liberties. It also represents rewarding hard work and effectiveness in your role.

it also shows that we aren’t going to rush kids onto the team in a 4th line role if we want them to be top six forwards.

also, this is a local guy who has already shown that he might be able to play in the 4th line and is showing signs that he could become a fan favourite due to his aggressiveness. For a team, and certain fans, looking for positives in a season where we’re likely to finish last, this is a good thing for the entertainment value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There are valid reasons to like the signing, while also being valid reasons to dislike the signing. Not everything around here needs to be so black and white all the time.

Sabourin is cheap, knows his role and we won't stunt his development if he sits in the press box or plays 8 minutes a game.

Signing a 27 year old AHL lifer with limited upside and giving him NHL minutes is ill-advised. Having a guy like that eating up a valuable roster spot days before younger, better, higher ceiling players get waived and are available for free is a bit silly.

Nobody wanted to give any of those ‘high ceiling’ guys a shot. That should close the book on that idea. Perhaps the ceilings aren’t that high, or the issues reach higher than the ceiling.

either way, this happens every year, and virtually no one is willing to pick up another teams throwaways...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Nobody wanted to give any of those ‘high ceiling’ guys a shot. That should close the book on that idea. Perhaps the ceilings aren’t that high, or the issues reach higher than the ceiling.

either way, this happens every year, and virtually no one is willing to pick up another teams throwaways...

They all have warts, I'm not denying that. But so does Sabourin, imo. If the Sens didn't have this fascination with local face punchers he would have slid through waivers unclaimed as well. The timing is the issue for a lot of these guys, because teams don't typically put in claims after camp (after their own rosters are set). We saw the same thing happen with Zack Smith last year, okay player, but got sent down at an inopportune time and his high salary kept him from being claimed.

Sven Baertschi has scored more points in the NHL (3 times) than Sabourin has in the AHL (and that was his career high by a lot). He's also younger, which should matter in a rebuild. I'm not denying these guys have vastly different roles, but when you give a contract (and valuable contract slot) to a guy like Sabourin it has the potential to limit future moves. Today it was picking up a younger/more offensive player via waivers, at the deadline it could be the difference between trading for another draft pick or someone further along in their development.

It's far from the end of the world and I'm sure he'll bring some level of entertainment value on occasion, but there's two sides to this particular coin.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They all have warts, I'm not denying that. But so does Sabourin, imo. If the Sens didn't have this fascination with local face punchers he would have slid through waivers unclaimed as well. The timing is the issue for a lot of these guys, because teams don't typically put in claims after camp (after their own rosters are set). We saw the same thing happen with Zack Smith last year, okay player, but got sent down at an inopportune time and his high salary kept him from being claimed.

Sven Baertschi has scored more points in the NHL (3 times) than Sabourin has in the AHL (and that was his career high by a lot). He's also younger, which should matter in a rebuild. I'm not denying these guys have vastly different roles, but when you give a contract (and valuable contract slot) to a guy like Sabourin it has the potential to limit future moves. Today it was picking up a younger/more offensive player via waivers, at the deadline it could be the difference between trading for another draft pick or someone further along in their development.

It's far from the end of the world and I'm sure he'll bring some level of entertainment value on occasion, but there's two sides to this particular coin.

I agree that Sven was the most (only) somewhat attractive player.

But on the other hand he’s not exactly 4th line winger material, and while he might be flippable at the deadline, he might not provide what is needed for this particular group.

I think there would also be an argument to be made that if we wanted a Sven type player on the roster, we could have kept up one of our kids.

I honestly think we’re going to need what Scott brings this season, when frustration boils over, when guys take liberties on our kids, and when the world starts point and laughing about how much we suck. This group will have to band together and will need several different roles available to keep their heads up.

must suck to play through the beginning of a rebuild, with Domi types mocking you game in and game out.... Uhg... I’m looking forward to some face punching from our guys....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Just like when we waived Hoffman? His issue wasn't his ceiling being too low, or his issues reaching higher than his ceiling, he just wasn't quite NHL ready yet and had reached waiver eligibility.

Sometimes good prospects get waived and make it through. We just don't have space to give those guys a shot at the moment (partially because we signed Sabourin).

guys getting through waivers is often because the ones teams would be willing to try out only get waived too late in the process. We can't bring Ho Sang in today and see how he does in pre-season or if he meshes before the reg season begins. Teams, like us, have filled out their rosters, they've approached the 50 contract limit, and they've made their beds for the season. A last minute pickup is probably only happening in the event of an injury because at this stage it's less about willingness to take a chance, and more about room to do so.

Reactions: Slack

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
[mod qep]

anyways, good move for the team, a nice bit of energy, toughness, and a response to other teams taking liberties. It also represents rewarding hard work and effectiveness in your role.

it also shows that we aren’t going to rush kids onto the team in a 4th line role if we want them to be top six forwards.

also, this is a local guy who has already shown that he might be able to play in the 4th line and is showing signs that he could become a fan favourite due to his aggressiveness. For a team, and certain fans, looking for positives in a season where we’re likely to finish last, this is a good thing for the entertainment value.

I disagree. Almost everyone universally liked the Chabot signing.

I get why lots of people dislike this signing. The guy is most likely going to have zero value to the team. For me, I just want to see him goon it up and add entertainment because we suck. I would be okay with adding a few more goons too even though the role doesn't even exist, once again, for entertainment value because we stink.

PD's comments about this signing are completely antiquated thinking at this point. I also actually dont believe he believes anything he really said, he just wanted a cheap body.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I wanted some physicality and sandpaper in the lineup but Sabourin was not the one I had in mind.

I plan to enjoy the tank, gazing covetously at the top prospects we might add in the draft. :)

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Just like when we waived Hoffman? His issue wasn't his ceiling being too low, or his issues reaching higher than his ceiling, he just wasn't quite NHL ready yet and had reached waiver eligibility.

Sometimes good prospects get waived and make it through. We just don't have space to give those guys a shot at the moment (partially because we signed Sabourin).

guys getting through waivers is often because the ones teams would be willing to try out only get waived too late in the process. We can't bring Ho Sang in today and see how he does in pre-season or if he meshes before the reg season begins. Teams, like us, have filled out their rosters, they've approached the 50 contract limit, and they've made their beds for the season. A last minute pickup is probably only happening in the event of an injury because at this stage it's less about willingness to take a chance, and more about room to do so.

Hoffman was the first thing to cross my mind when I read his comment.

I don't really get the signing. We already have Boro on our team to make sure guys don't "take liberties" on our young players, so now we need 2 goons? Also, is anyone really concerned about people "taking liberties" on a guy like Brady Tkachuk? IMO he's going to be the one distributing the liberties most nights.

Would have loved to have seen Ho-Sang or Sprong be given a shot. Would be much more entertaining/interesting to watch them play (even if it doesn't work out) than to watch Sabourin play 5 minutes a night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoffman was the first thing to cross my mind when I read his comment.

I don't really get the signing. We already have Boro on our team to make sure guys don't "take liberties" on our young players, so now we need 2 goons? Also, is anyone really concerned about people "taking liberties" on a guy like Brady Tkachuk? IMO he's going to be the one distributing the liberties most nights.

Would have loved to have seen Ho-Sang or Sprong be given a shot. Would be much more entertaining/interesting to watch them play (even if it doesn't work out) than to watch Sabourin play 5 minutes a night.

In all honesty, I think we as an organization are allergic to players with perceived character flaws. Ho-Sang or Sprong were likely never going to be considered.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Who is upset?

I can dislike something a whole lot and not be upset about it. :laugh:
This move I can't say I like it, and I can look at the opportunity cost of it, and even discuss that easily without being upset.
I am not going to hate him being in the lineup. Its just for me personally, I would have gone in a different direction .. but that has happened a lot with the decisions mr. Dorion and co have made.

With all due respect, since you are one of the better users on here, if you post a whole bunch about something you disagree with, it is hard not to get the impression that you are upset about it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With all due respect, since you are one of the better users on here, if you post a whole bunch about something you disagree with, it is hard not to get the impression that you are upset about it.
that would be on you or anyone else misreading my temperament. On this I think it was whitewashed a bit too much. There is room for discussion on balancing 4 lines to avoid the 6-7 minutes TOI and how people feel they should structure those lines and who should be in the lineup and why , its not anything upsetting. If the majority of people are willing to not discuss it or think its not worthy of discussion, and we should just accept it as a great idea , fine , not much discussion. I took a side but its not like my kids lives depend on it.

Last edited:

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
In all honesty, I think we as an organization are allergic to players with perceived character flaws. Ho-Sang or Sprong were likely never going to be considered.
I’m glad that they at least offered Duclair a contract this summer. Sometimes the talent is undeniable and you have to look away from those issues.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
[Mod qdp]

That said I have no problem with this signing or anything they do this season as long as we finish near the bottom. If Dorion let's other teams out tank him I will be very disappointed.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If anything this is a good thing. The most important part of this season imo is unquestionably finishing as close to the bottom as possible for the lottery odds, and this probably helps that. Fill the lineup with plugs like Sabs and Boro and send them packing after this season.

That said, I have no doubt in my mind that coach and local bias played a role here, I don't believe the "he earned it" stuff or that this was an area they wanted to address, considering they made no effort to address it all summer and this just sort of happened.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It was totally disrespectful. No class from Matthews. Maybe Class is a lot to hope for from Matthews considering the story that broke right after this.
Not at all surprised. There's a lot of big heads in hockey in general and when you're one of the top dogs getting paid and being idolized all the way through, it can lead to one shitty human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad