Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Proven wrong so far...

EF63mU6WwAA2eIz

5:09 --> no longer true for his NHL career.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I honestly don't mind him at all and I am usually the first to call out useless 4th line plugs. Our 4th line this year actually doesn't get caved in as much as previous years, even when we were good. Even though they barely played I really like that line yesterday, they kept it simple and actually had some chances.

Reactions: gab6511 and Deku

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Call me crazy, but I think Boro has been better this season, thanks in small part to Sabourin.

Last year, Boro was the only one to play the enforcer role, which probably took away from his focus. Kinda like how Neil became a more effective player in 2006 when McGrattan came along. Now Boro can just focus on playing hockey.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sabourin plays while Ryan sits. It’s a fine line from being called an NHL player. One day you are, the next you’re not. One day you’re not, the next you are.

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sabourin plays while Ryan sits. It’s a fine line from being called an NHL player. One day you are, the next you’re not. One day you’re not, the next you are.

It really is a fine line, so many players like Sabourin (and even better players than him) fighting like crazy to make it and never will. At his age this is basically a miracle.

Reactions: Tuna99

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would not have made him a fixture. Balcers coming back. Ryan and Boedker were healthies last game . Ennis is unlikely to be scratched due to his tml ties to Smith. White and Anisimov coming back means that changes will be needed. Other prospects need to get into games when they are producing in Belleville.
L Brown and Paul have looked good enough to stay imo. Easier to move players down to Belleville than to get takers on Boedker, Ennis, Ryan, Sabourin

Reactions: Sensfan4life

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would not have made him a fixture. Balcers coming back. Ryan and Boedker were healthies last game . Ennis is unlikely to be scratched due to his tml ties to Smith. White and Anisimov coming back means that changes will be needed. Other prospects need to get into games when they are producing in Belleville.
L Brown and Paul have looked good enough to stay imo. Easier to move players down to Belleville than to get takers on Boedker, Ennis, Ryan, Sabourin

Honestly at this point our salary is already very low, if you have a young player that plays better than Boedker and Ryan you can always waive them, especially Boedker. Ennis has played better lately but Smith gave it to him pretty good 2 or 3 games ago. I don't think he'd hesitate to scratch him or send him down if he doesn't play well enough and I'm sure Ennis is aware of it too.

Also remember that it's very likely that one or two of the following guys will get traded going forward: Tierney, Pageau, Namestnikov. There should be enough space going forward. You have to make sure that the young guys earn their way up and that you have options if they feel overwhelmed or are underperforming like Batherson earlier this season.

I think they'll try hard to make a Ryan trade happen as well.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Call me crazy, but I think Boro has been better this season, thanks in small part to Sabourin.

Last year, Boro was the only one to play the enforcer role, which probably took away from his focus. Kinda like how Neil became a more effective player in 2006 when McGrattan came along. Now Boro can just focus on playing hockey.
I doubt it. Fighting is dying in the NHL and Sabourin averages about six minutes a game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Ryan has no one to blame but himself. I'm not a Sabourin fan, but I'd much rather watch a guy putting 100% effort out there, than a guy who has been mailing it in since signing his big contract. At least Sab will do the dirty jobs and work on the ice. I don't expect him to ever get another goal, but he won't make life easy for our opponents when he's on the ice.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

He is still pretty bad.

He played well and physical last game though I'll give you that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Is Balcers game that much different from Boedker? I'm not a huge Ryan fan but he has more skill & is a better playmaker than most of those you mentioned, he's just a lazy SOB. I'm also not sure EM wants to pay NHL salaries for some of these PD mistakes to play in Belleville in a yr where attendance is very low & he's probably losing a ton of money & will not get any playoff money. Although he should get some of that Seattle money soon enough, can he wait that long or last that long?

It should be interesting to see what happens with a good number of these players especially the UFAs who most should be moved by the trade deadline which will open up a few roster spots. Patience is required, but they have already lost so many fans I'm not so sure it will matter & what will bring them back other than consistent winning which is likely a few yrs away. It should also be interesting to see which UFAs they might re-sign although on this team, I'd consider moving them all out & continue with the rebuild.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Balcers is a far cry from Boedker at this stage IMO. He can skate, shoot and he goes to the net - plus he is hungry to play.

As far as player salaries are concerned, they are all a sunk cost unless they are moved so being waived and down in Belleville is the same as sitting in the press box except fans might start to come around that the team is making intelligent moves rather than the same old dumb mistakes.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Nice to see him smiling yeah, but man that's some nasty looking damage. What a wicked smash, Backes surely is on concussion protocol too? Hope the warrior gets back soon, he was making that role work.

Reactions: Matsens15

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not sure how Backes is doing, but for Sabourin... IMO it looks like the majority of the (visible) damage wasn't done on the hit with Backes, but rather the hit with the ice afterwards.
Backes is out for the next few games. Cassidy said he was a little better than last night but outside of that, he didn’t offer anything else.

Glad Sabourin is doing better

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure how Backes is doing, but for Sabourin... IMO it looks like the majority of the (visible) damage wasn't done on the hit with Backes, but rather the hit with the ice afterwards.
definitely could have been cut by the visor. Hope he ends up ok. Can't take too many of those knocked unconscious type hits to the head though. I hope he listens to his body before trying to go to battle again on the hill that is.

Reactions: Alex1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad