Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Scott Sabourin (27), from Orleans On. the hometown of none other than our beloved GM, Pierre Dorion played his junior hockey in the OHL with Oshawa and played for our current coach DJ Smith.

Sabourin has had quite a tryout with Ottawa

Game 1 vs Toronto he should have been yelling "What's my name" at Harpur

and then this

And in g1 in Vancouver we got

Jury is out but on this so far career minor leaguer
Some people like the rock 'm sock 'm 'ol time hockey he brings and others well...
Trevor S. on Twitter

Reactions: Back in Black

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Could fill a bottom line role

Rather have him there than wasting away a prospect .

Reactions: Hinterland

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
With the amount of young players we have now, I honestly think a guy like Sabourin looking out for them on the ice could be helpful.

Chabot in particular had a target on his back last year and Borowiecki wasn't enough to keep guys away from him.

I know Tkachuk likes to get into things but he really shouldn't always be the one to step up.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He has quickly displaced Julius Honka as my favourite speculative/potential Senator.

Sabu army. Ride or die.

If he makes the team and does the taunt I'm buying a jersey

225px-Sabu_AWR_2009.JPG

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dude is a sub par AHLer who should have never been invited to training camp, and yet he's still here with 1 preseason game to go before the season starts.

Embarrasing how you can get ahead in this organization just by being born in Ottawa and being DJ's buddy.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Dude is a sub par AHLer who should have never been invited to training camp, and yet he's still here with 1 preseason game to go before the season starts.

Embarrasing how you can get ahead in this organization just by being born in Ottawa and being DJ's buddy.
Pretty sure most teams have grinders in camp, no just Ottawa. Management and scouts also like to see guys play to the best of their role which Sabourin has been doing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
After reading the Scherwey interview it was pretty clear that Smith was looking for some added grit. Not idea if they were trying to negotiate with Bern or why Sabourin wasn't in the Camp from the beginning but every team needs vets able and willing to do damage and defend kids if necessary.

Sabourin, won't play 82 games in the NHL so I don't see the problem here.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Let's be real here, this is a guy who has 77P in his combined 311 games at the AHL level. Works out to an average of about 17P over a full AHL season.

Guy has zero talent and should be stapled to the 4th line of an AHL team, not an NHL team. Only reason he's up is because of favouritism.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He is not an NHL player. If he makes the team, I would hope it's because we know that despite our public statements about contending for the playoffs that internally we don't expect to win a lot. That we need a guy to be a face puncher and dissuade people power bombing a 120 pound Brannstrom when we're being blown out.

It's probably an out dated way of thinking, but at the same time if you go back and watch our games last year (one against St.Louis comes to mind) nobody stepped up and we got manhandled.

I don't know if it's the right idea. I'm just trying to see the logic behind it.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not going to argue that Sabourin is a willing combatant .. IMO he should be signed to a 2 way to go play in Belleville. I would give Chlapik/Balcers the 4th line 12th forward. And have Boedker as my 13th forward to start. The kids don't sit more than 4 games or so if they are here for 82. Ryan will need a rest here and there. Injuries and rest days vs playing hurt .. will be available so no one sits too long.

The kids can stand up for themselves. I am not worried about that.. Its not like they are coming in from some fairy leagues. If they played junior, AHL .. they can stand up for themselves. 1 player is not going to make us run anyone out of the rink.

Keep Sabourin in Belleville , give him some games when we need to inject some toughness.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't understand this though of "who's going to stand up for the kids?"

Tkachuk can take care of himself. Hainsey has been in the league for 100 years. Batherson is 6'3, 200 lbs. Connor Brown will be fine. So will Jaros. I'm assuming Borowiecki will play every game.

This isn't 1999, and even if it was, it's not like Sabourin is some imposing tough guy. Did Smith or Harpur "deter" anyone the last two years? No? Well Sabourin will be no more effective.

I was hoping that with a new coaching staff, the days of dressing players who can't keep up and have no future was over... but maybe it isn't.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Hope he lays out mattthews first game

Let’s be real this season is gonna be hella boring after 15 games in

If Sabourin is on the ice against Matthews, on purpose, there is a much greater chance of Matthews scoring a goal than getting layed out.

Besides, Matthews has 20 lbs on Sabourin. If they made contact, my guess is Sabourin would be the one on the ice.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If Sabourin is on the ice against Matthews, on purpose, there is a much greater chance of Matthews scoring a goal than getting layed out.

Besides, Matthews has 20 lbs on Sabourin. If they made contact, my guess is Sabourin would be the one on the ice.

Yeah, i don't want Sabourin with Matthews on the ice lol

Beside, if Sabourin was to do anything to Matthews, the pre season game was the time to do it.

The guy is a 13th forward at most, if he is kept. I believe i'm overly generous by saying 13th forward

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

If Sabu is on the ice with BareAss Matthews, think one or the other is definitely getting laid.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
IMO Sabourin is a situation specific player, and I accept he has a value this year:
1 Ottawa will not be contending for a playoff position so if he scores less than a more skilled player on the 4th line, I don't care;
2 I don't think there is any benefit to playing one of our good prospects on the 4th line for 6 minutes per game;
3 apart from Parker Kelly, what other player has shown his kind of heart and willingness to do the dirty work. Not referring to playing dirty, merely sacrificing for the team by making and taking hits and working hard;
4 if he is frequently scratched, it isn't going to hurt his development;
5 other than Boro, we don't have a tough guy to give or take a beating and I certainly wouldn't want Tkachuk to take on that job. If he is up as a 13th forward he can come into games they know will be physical or into the lineup when Boro is out or being sat to rotate in the 7th D;
6 a number of people have commented that we have several prospects that have had opportunities at this tryout but didn't look like they wanted it, this might send a message to the more skilled players that they have to elevate their compete levels;
7 there are a lot of marginal players on a lot of teams, Sabourin will be hard to play against and will bring the type of energy and grit the team is looking for. If he stops doing it, he is easily sent down to Belleville;
8 he is a stop gap player that will let our other prospects develop hockey skills and get stronger;
9 Ottawa seems committed to having our younger players spend at least 1 year in Belleville, save for Tkachuk, we are buying more time for them to develop and then come up at the TDL.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Pretty much this.

If we need toughness why not bring back Neil? Or get some other real tough guy.

Sabourin runs around burying people from behind. If anything that's going to invite our young guys getting buried into the boards themselves.

Hes absolutely atrocious with the puck, makes terrible decisions with it.

Oh but wait.

Local guy? Check!

Comes with a cheap contract? Check!

From Orleans? BONUS POINTS!!!!!!!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Im up for a bit of Scotty in what will assuredly be a spectacle of a season, get Brady and him out there playing reckless drive hard to the net hockey in a tank year and enjoy the show!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who cares if he is here this year, we all want them to finish last, he's not going to take minutes away from any of our prospects, he doesn't have a future with the team,he will sit in the pressbox more often then not. Nothing about him making the team seems to have anything negative about what we hope happens for the Sens this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad