Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He was at the Sens Gala last night and looked well, unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to chat with him

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I get that but I really like bringing in players like Beaudin, Versonneau and Davidsson on the 4th line to give them some NHL experience. It will bode well for the future. Sabourin should likely not have been signed as contract 49 and certainly not for the reasons spewed at the time we signed him. I am not criticizing his play or his role which he filled admirably. I think we have enough guys knocking on the door to give them a taste. We are not getting run out of any rinks

It’s not playoff time. I would still like biggest meanest son of a bushwhacker available during the playoffs. Reaves is what I want. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He makes the fourth line unplayable. Probably one of the worst players in the NHL right now.

Who cares? He’s fine for the tank that many want, and he’s keeping a roster spot warm so kids can stay in Belleville. Don’t see a problem here...

Last edited:
Reactions: philb613

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Who cares? He’s fine for the tank that many want, and he’s keeping a roster spot warm so kids can stay in Belleville. Don’t see a problem here...
For some reason, I am not shocked that you don't see a problem here.

Problem 1: He is taking up one of the team's 50 roster spots, which forced the Sens to move a depth defenceman (Nick Ebert) in the Names trade, both Belleville and Ottawa were both having injury issues at different parts of the season. This may also hamper the club from signing a college FA, or a KHL player. Just a terrible contract to give out in the first place. PD should have learned his lesson about coach's pets from the GB days. Now, the coach doesn't even trust the player to play more than 3 minutes a game. Just a complete waste.

Problem 2: He would be a healthy scratch in the AHL. This isn't a "feel good" story.

Problem 3: A rebuilding team, that supposedly has a "plan", should be taking the opportunity in a lost season to evaluate players who may have a future with the big club. Your player evaluations for next year should be happening now. Calling up guys like Klimchuk, Veranneau, Davidsson and giving them ice time in the bigs and a chance to show the coach what they can do is what should be happening. Rewarding guys in Belleville with strong play should be whats happening. Its one roster spot. Give Norris a week, then Balcers, then Abramov, etc, etc. Lets be honest here, every single player in Belleville would 100% much rather be in the bigs on the worst team in the league than playing in the beautiful city of Belleville and riding busses for the first place team.

Chalk this one up to another FA signing bumbled by Dorion, right up there with Alex Burrows, Gab Dumont, Tom Pyatt, Nate Thompson, Johnny Oduya. This one may actually be the worst of them all.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
For some reason, I am not shocked that you don't see a problem here.

Problem 1: He is taking up one of the team's 50 roster spots, which forced the Sens to move a depth defenceman (Nick Ebert) in the Names trade, both Belleville and Ottawa were both having injury issues at different parts of the season. This may also hamper the club from signing a college FA, or a KHL player. Just a terrible contract to give out in the first place. PD should have learned his lesson about coach's pets from the GB days. Now, the coach doesn't even trust the player to play more than 3 minutes a game. Just a complete waste.

Problem 2: He would be a healthy scratch in the AHL. This isn't a "feel good" story.

Problem 3: A rebuilding team, that supposedly has a "plan", should be taking the opportunity in a lost season to evaluate players who may have a future with the big club. Your player evaluations for next year should be happening now. Calling up guys like Klimchuk, Veranneau, Davidsson and giving them ice time in the bigs and a chance to show the coach what they can do is what should be happening. Rewarding guys in Belleville with strong play should be whats happening. Its one roster spot. Give Norris a week, then Balcers, then Abramov, etc, etc. Lets be honest here, every single player in Belleville would 100% much rather be in the bigs on the worst team in the league than playing in the beautiful city of Belleville and riding busses for the first place team.

Chalk this one up to another FA signing bumbled by Dorion, right up there with Alex Burrows, Gab Dumont, Tom Pyatt, Nate Thompson, Johnny Oduya. This one may actually be the worst of them all.
lol or the other team wanted AHL depth in Ebert to make the deal happen ?

50 contract limit is so overblown here

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
50 contract limit is so overblown here
So, if the Sens wanna sign JBD and Pinto at the end of their college season, that brings them to 50 contracts. There won't be any KHL or College FAs being signed since the limit is hit. Its a very minor problem to have, but it did send away a defenceman from an org who's depth on D is a little thin in Belleville.

If you disagree, please explain what positives come from having playing a player with no future in this organization 2 minutes a night.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
So, if the Sens wanna sign JBD and Pinto at the end of their college season, that brings them to 50 contracts. There won't be any KHL or College FAs being signed since the limit is hit. Its a very minor problem to have, but it did send away a defenceman from an org who's depth on D is a little thin in Belleville.

If you disagree, please explain what positives come from having playing a player with no future in this organization 2 minutes a night.

So you rather play a player WITH A FUTURE on this team 2 mins a night? Isn't that exactly what we don't want? :help:

Lastly... if they want to sign a college player they can by moving a contract at the deadline.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So you rather play a player WITH A FUTURE on this team 2 mins a night? Isn't that exactly what we don't want? :help:

Lastly... if they want to sign a college player they can by moving a contract at the deadline.
Why does it mean that the players HAS to play 2 minutes a night?? Is there a rule I am unaware of?

This team has a grand total of 0 impact forwards who deserve to be double shifted. This is a team that should be rolling 4 lines in an effort to "grow" and "develop" players. This isn't a team looking for wins or chasing down teams in a playoff race. Its a rebuilding team with a "plan". If the plan is to give Ennis, Names, Pageau, etc, all the ice time, then maybe the plan needs to be re-evaluated.

Not sure its all that easy.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why does it mean that the players HAS to play 2 minutes a night?? Is there a rule I am unaware of?

This team has a grand total of 0 impact forwards who deserve to be double shifted. This is a team that should be rolling 4 lines in an effort to "grow" and "develop" players. This isn't a team looking for wins or chasing down teams in a playoff race. Its a rebuilding team with a "plan". If the plan is to give Ennis, Names, Pageau, etc, all the ice time, then maybe the plan needs to be re-evaluated.

If that's so easy, why hasn't it been done yet?
I have no problems with DJ and player deployment at this point. It isn't realistic to role out 4 lines consistently. That means each line gets 15 mins a night and it would be less due to PP and PK time. I think it is definitely important to create a bit of a competitive environment and just handing out equal icetime won't work.

Additionally, I would say a lot of the young guys showed that they were ready to make the jump so I also don't think they should have been handed spots early on which they weren't. The additional time spent in Belleville will help them out. Batherson looks a lot better now then he did at the start of the season.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I have no problems with DJ and player deployment at this point. It isn't realistic to role out 4 lines consistently. That means each line gets 15 mins a night and it would be less due to PP and PK time. I think it is definitely important to create a bit of a competitive environment and just handing out equal icetime won't work.

Additionally, I would say a lot of the young guys showed that they were ready to make the jump so I also don't think they should have been handed spots early on which they weren't. The additional time spent in Belleville will help them out. Batherson looks a lot better now then he did at the start of the season.
Creating a competitive environment is exactly what should be happening, however, when you hand a guy a roster spot who can barely play at the AHL level, you are not creating a competitive environment. To make matters worse, you currently have Chlapik, a player who still has an undetermined role on this team going forward playing with 2 scrubs. Which is very detrimental to his development.

I get it, you disagree, like I said, its a minor problem, but several minor problems combined make larger issues. There is a influx of young players from Belleville that will need a roster spot next year, why not take the opportunity to start your evaluations now, instead of training camp next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Creating a competitive environment is exactly what should be happening, however, when you hand a guy a roster spot who can barely play at the AHL level, you are not creating a competitive environment. To make matters worse, you currently have Chlapik, a player who still has an undetermined role on this team going forward playing with 2 scrubs. Which is very detrimental to his development.

I get it, you disagree, like I said, its a minor problem, but several minor problems combined make larger issues. There is a influx of young players from Belleville that will need a roster spot next year, why not take the opportunity to start your evaluations now, instead of training camp next year.

I really am at a loss as to what Sabourin is providing.

He isn't making his teamates play bigger or acting as some sort of deterrent by playing 2 mins a night.

The idea that he gives the team the ability to leave players in Belleville where they can develop is undercut by us having heathy scratched Boedker for all but 9 games.

The constantly brought up strawman that some other prospect would have to play 2 mins a night has been repeated ad-nauseum but the reality is the experiment has failed. He was a feel good story for a bit, I really am happy for him getting this chance, but I can't understand why he hasn't been sent down to Belleville. Got to wonder how a guy like Beaudin, who would fill a similar role, feels knowing that this guy is blocking them.

Reactions: stempniaksen

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I really am at a loss as to what Sabourin is providing.

He isn't making his teamates play bigger or acting as some sort of deterrent by playing 2 mins a night.

The idea that he gives the team the ability to leave players in Belleville where they can develop is undercut by us having heathy scratched Boedker for all but 9 games.

The constantly brought up strawman that some other prospect would have to play 2 mins a night has been repeated ad-nauseum but the reality is the experiment has failed. He was a feel good story for a bit, I really am happy for him getting this chance, but I can't understand why he hasn't been sent down to Belleville. Got to wonder how a guy like Beaudin, who would fill a similar role, feels knowing that this guy is blocking them.
To make matters worse, the Belleville Sens are hurting and playing 7 D every night because of the health of their forwards. The Ottawa Senators can correct that by sending a career minor leaguer down to the minor leagues, where he belongs, where he could become the 12th forward that they currently don't have and Boedker could just slot in here. Then when layers like Beaudin, Veronneau, get healthy, you bring them up.

Great point on Beaudin, he should be pissed. A guy who may have a future beyond this season with the Ottawa Senators (unknown), blocked by a guy who can't play at this level (known fact). Doesn't do any service to the "earn your ice-time" argument we keep hearing.

Does Dorion just not want to admit that he made a mistake?

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To make matters worse, the Belleville Sens are hurting and playing 7 D every night because of the health of their forwards. The Ottawa Senators can correct that by sending a career minor leaguer down to the minor leagues, where he belongs, where he could become the 12th forward that they currently don't have and Boedker could just slot in here. Then when layers like Beaudin, Veronneau, get healthy, you bring them up.

Great point on Beaudin, he should be pissed. A guy who may have a future beyond this season with the Ottawa Senators (unknown), blocked by a guy who can't play at this level (known fact). Doesn't do any service to the "earn your ice-time" argument we keep hearing.

Does Dorion just not want to admit that he made a mistake?

Speaking of Boedker, is there a reason aside from optics we don't send him down to help in Belleville? I think he could probably be an effective AHL scoring winger.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Speaking of Boedker, is there a reason aside from optics we don't send him down to help in Belleville? I think he could probably be an effective AHL scoring winger.
The worst that could probably happen is that someone makes a waiver claim on him, which would save Eugeno some cash.

Honestly, some of these decisions just seem far too easy, but for some reason they don't happen. Sending either one of Sabourin/Boedker down is a no-brainer. It mainly helps Belleville have a full lineup that isn't 11/7 with a few Brampton players sprinkled in. And with every argument people bring to having Sabs stay up here (culture, character, feel good story, etc.), the same could apply to Belleville. Maybe he can "protect their stars".

Are they worried about hurting Sabourin's feelings? They don't seem to care about the yoyo rides they have played with Balcers/Brown/Beaudin. Is Sabourin Dorion's neighbor in Orleans???

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I've been saying this for a while. Unless the team is on a long road trip, BOTH Boedker and Goloubef should be waived and playing in Belleville.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The real problem with Boedker is that he should never have been acquired in the first place. We all know that and who is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad