Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Not sure how Backes is doing, but for Sabourin... IMO it looks like the majority of the (visible) damage wasn't done on the hit with Backes, but rather the hit with the ice afterwards.
I was at the game and it was tough to see. All of the players on both teams were upset as were the fans. Poor David Backes took it hard plus I believe he himself is injured.

I am happy he is going to be released from the hospital. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
Not sure how Backes is doing, but for Sabourin... IMO it looks like the majority of the (visible) damage wasn't done on the hit with Backes, but rather the hit with the ice afterwards.
I wonder how much damage could have been avoided if all players were wearing full shield/cage helmets.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
definitely could have been cut by the visor. .

Possible, yeah.

I looked at the replay of the hit, and it seems that both the hit with Backes and the hit with the ice both landed on the right side of his face, but all the wounds in his hospital selfie are on the left. Maybe just a case of the hospital pic being mirrored?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As long as you don't have a skull fracture, brain bleed, etc., the hospital is going to send you home and simply tell you to contact your doctor if you have a drastic change in symptoms. There's really not a lot they can do for you at that stage - it's just a waiting game while the brain bruise heals and the concussion symptoms begin to disappear.

Reactions: Variable26

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Possible, yeah.

I looked at the replay of the hit, and it seems that both the hit with Backes and the hit with the ice both landed on the right side of his face, but all the wounds in his hospital selfie are on the left. Maybe just a case of the hospital pic being mirrored?
Looking at it again . I think you are right.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Apparently he flew back to Ottawa last night, which is a good sign in and of itself. Now it's just a waiting game while he heals up. Predicting recovery times on concussions is a fool's errand - it could be a week, it could be a month, could be more than that...

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Anytime you get knocked out it’s a concussion.
Although it is likely to often lead to a concussion, it is not always the case. I tried to argue that side once with a doctor and they explained it to me. Basically, it's not a concussion unless the doctor says it is. This is why most competitive sports teams now make their players take baseline tests at the start of each season.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
Sens are 3-7-1 in games which they chose to put Sabourin in the lineup.

8-4-0 without him in the line up.

I hope he makes a full recovery and wish him nothing but the best as a person.

I also hope he never pulls the Sens jersey over his head for game action again. Useless signing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Sens are 3-7-1 in games which they chose to put Sabourin in the lineup.

8-4-0 without him in the line up.

I hope he makes a full recovery and wish him nothing but the best as a person.

I also hope he never pulls the Sens jersey over his head for game action again. Useless signing.
Roster limits aside, I am not sure it was completely useless as it was a nice positive story to start the season, something that we haven't been used to. However, I do agree that having him here in the lineup now or at any point for the rest of the season playing 4 minutes is useless.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
DJ has been able to employ a high energy 4th line with young guys who can skate really well. Sabourin as good of a story as it’s been, is not an NHL player and really should never play an NHL game again. Seems like an alright dude and like I said it’s a feel good story but playing him 6-7 minutes a night is doing nothing but hurting a team. Hope he continues to recover well but he should be immediately sent down to Belleville or traded once he is healthy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
DJ has been able to employ a high energy 4th line with young guys who can skate really well. Sabourin as good of a story as it’s been, is not an NHL player and really should never play an NHL game again. Seems like an alright dude and like I said it’s a feel good story but playing him 6-7 minutes a night is doing nothing but hurting a team. Hope he continues to recover well but he should be immediately sent down to Belleville or traded once he is healthy.

I'm fine having him be the 13th forward when he gets back.

Seems really well liked by his teammates, and is the kind of guy who can be used as an example in practices as the type of player who "never gives up", etc...

He's bad at hockey and I don't want him in the lineup ever, but if that's what we do with him I'm fine with it.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That's excellent news, the injury appeared very horrific.

Should be sent down at least for a conditioning stint until he is called up again.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like having Sabourin in the lineup, IMO he gives the team some confidence at times with a hard hit or fight that can change the momentum in a game. He's pretty quick, works hard, is good defensively & as a 4th line energy forward can give the team that spark when they need it. He's not going to be on the ice when they need to score a goal but he can defend teammates & spark the team occasionally with a big hit or fight. He fills a niche this team needs IMO & helps to make everyone play a little bigger with him in the lineup.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like having Sabourin in the lineup, IMO he gives the team some confidence at times with a hard hit or fight that can change the momentum in a game. He's pretty quick, works hard, is good defensively & as a 4th line energy forward can give the team that spark when they need it. He's not going to be on the ice when they need to score a goal but he can defend teammates & spark the team occasionally with a big hit or fight. He fills a niche this team needs IMO & helps to make everyone play a little bigger with him in the lineup.
I get that but I really like bringing in players like Beaudin, Versonneau and Davidsson on the 4th line to give them some NHL experience. It will bode well for the future. Sabourin should likely not have been signed as contract 49 and certainly not for the reasons spewed at the time we signed him. I am not criticizing his play or his role which he filled admirably. I think we have enough guys knocking on the door to give them a taste. We are not getting run out of any rinks

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
When he is back next year, I would think he will only be injected into the lineup on an as needed basis.

From our man Brucie:

He won’t be back for a while, skated in his own.

He looked good Saturday and the facial cuts are healed.

“It’s amazing to see him back out here,” defenceman Thomas Chabot said Saturday. “He’s a guy that we all really appreciate on the team. He’s a hell of a guy and he’d do anything for the guys on the ice. To see him go down in Boston, and then to see him already back out there with a big smile on his face and battling to get back to playing games is really good.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
When he is back next year, I would think he will only be injected into the lineup on an as needed basis.

From our man Brucie:

He won’t be back for a while, skated in his own.

He looked good Saturday and the facial cuts are healed.

“It’s amazing to see him back out here,” defenceman Thomas Chabot said Saturday. “He’s a guy that we all really appreciate on the team. He’s a hell of a guy and he’d do anything for the guys on the ice. To see him go down in Boston, and then to see him already back out there with a big smile on his face and battling to get back to playing games is really good.
Next year?? Let's hope that the org has moved on by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad