Player Discussion Scott Sabourin - signed to 1 yr 2-way contract - What's my name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
4th line duty for Sabs again tonight. Maybe DJ will bump his ice time to 3 minutes tonight.

DJ says the Ducks are tough.. so have to play Sabourin. Like I said from the very start nice story absolutely no need to sign him .. DJ doing him a favor and talking Dorion into it at contract #49 is impressive though.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
DJ says the Ducks are tough.. so have to play Sabourin. Like I said from the very start nice story absolutely no need to sign him .. DJ doing him a favor and talking Dorion into it at contract #49 is impressive though.
All DJ had to say to Dorion was "he's from Orleans" and it was a done deal!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Coaches and players don't tank games. It's that simple people.
Babcock appeared to, but those circumstances were pretty unique.

Then there's our own checkered past:

According to MacGregor, Firestone said that the Senators were prepared to pull their goalie to make sure Boston won; that it had been difficult "keeping the restraints" on Bowness over the final weeks of the season; and that Firestone himself had had a plan to guarantee four players roster spots for next season if those players helped assure a loss to the Bruins. "It is no coincidence," MacGregor said Firestone told him, "that those four players will be back with the team next season." None of the other reporters in attendance that night have publicly challenged the gist of MacGregor's account.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I love how this is a thing, but then he basically doesn't play anyways.

It's 2020. I don't believe for a second that an AHL caliber at best, medium sized tough guy playing 3 or 4 minutes is going to make a lick of a difference to anything.

Reactions: Rand0m

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I love how this is a thing, but then he basically doesn't play anyways.

It's 2020. I don't believe for a second that an AHL caliber at best, medium sized tough guy playing 3 or 4 minutes is going to make a lick of a difference to anything.
Not the way DJ is playing the 4th line or playing Sabourin... As its turned out... still we had lots of filler to move in on that 4th line without an additional contract. Even the guy they moved out for him soon after could have been that player.

Reactions: BatherSeason

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not the way DJ is playing the 4th line or playing Sabourin... As its turned out... still we had lots of filler to move in on that 4th line without an additional contract. Even the guy they moved out for him soon after could have been that player.
Pretty much. I feel like I pile on a lot and it's not what I mean to do here, but to me it's just genuinely a guy that appears to be given a gift of a one year NHL salary.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I’m pretty sure if he didn’t get injured from that hit earlier in the season he’d be in the AHL full time now. He’s been a non-factor since his return. Good for him for managing to trick Dorion into getting an NHL salary for 1 season. My guess is he’s in the ECHL next year.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He played more than Chlapik last night, granted it was only a second, but it shouldn't matter, Sabourin isn't even in the same stratosphere as Chlapik, yet Sabs for some reason continues seems to not be at risk of being sent down, while the far more talented player gets to rot on the bench and wake up everyday wondering where he will be playing. Gotta play those young players DJ, we should be helping their development, not halting it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
scott_sabourin-w.jpg

Scott Sabourin chips the puck past Trevor Daley in the first period as the Ottawa Senators take on the Detroit Red Wings in NHL action at the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa. Wayne Cuddington / POSTMEDIA

From: WARREN'S PIECE: Finally finding shootout success, Sabourin's scoring touch, keeping count of Tkachuk and Norris goes to Belleville - Link below

SABOURIN SCORES AGAIN: There were 65 games between Scott Sabourin’s shocking season opening goal and Saturday’s early third period goal. In between, Sabourin has endured a lengthy concussion recovery following his nasty collision with Boston’s David Backes and routinely being a healthy scratch. “Accidents happen, I’ve been back (from the concussion) for awhile and it’s just a good league with good players,” said Sabourin, an Orleans native. “I have to make sure I’m ready to compete and make small plays.”

Sabourin’s primary responsibility is to deliver solid hits on the forecheck and to keep opposition players from taking liberties against the Senators stars, but the goal came after Sabourin made a power move from the faceoff circle into the crease. His shot bounced off Bernier’s shoulder, off Sabourin and into the net.
“He’s had some chances of late and it was nice for him to score that goal,” said Smith. “He had a real good chance in Nashville (Monday). He has continue to get better and he’s making sure he takes care of the boys out there.”

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
scott_sabourin-w.jpg

Scott Sabourin chips the puck past Trevor Daley in the first period as the Ottawa Senators take on the Detroit Red Wings in NHL action at the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa. Wayne Cuddington / POSTMEDIA

From: WARREN'S PIECE: Finally finding shootout success, Sabourin's scoring touch, keeping count of Tkachuk and Norris goes to Belleville - Link below

SABOURIN SCORES AGAIN: There were 65 games between Scott Sabourin’s shocking season opening goal and Saturday’s early third period goal. In between, Sabourin has endured a lengthy concussion recovery following his nasty collision with Boston’s David Backes and routinely being a healthy scratch. “Accidents happen, I’ve been back (from the concussion) for awhile and it’s just a good league with good players,” said Sabourin, an Orleans native. “I have to make sure I’m ready to compete and make small plays.”

Sabourin’s primary responsibility is to deliver solid hits on the forecheck and to keep opposition players from taking liberties against the Senators stars, but the goal came after Sabourin made a power move from the faceoff circle into the crease. His shot bounced off Bernier’s shoulder, off Sabourin and into the net.
“He’s had some chances of late and it was nice for him to score that goal,” said Smith. “He had a real good chance in Nashville (Monday). He has continue to get better and he’s making sure he takes care of the boys out there.”

I know the popular opinion at the moment is to hate on the man, but from what I have seen the past few games, he has been very good. He is doing his job, he is actually creating chances and has not been a liability whenever he is put on the ice. Credit where credit is due, as it seems some people catch him making one mistake and right away the response is to question why he is in the line-up.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I know the popular opinion at the moment is to hate on the man, but from what I have seen the past few games, he was been very good. He is doing his job, he is actually creating chances and has not been a liability whenever he is put on the ice. Credit where credit is due, as it seems some people catch him making one mistake and right away the response is to question why he is in the line-up.
It's true.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do the Sens bring back this guy?

With Boro likely out the door, I have to think the odds of him returning are decent as long as his health is ok.

I have no strong feelings either way. I'd probably prefer he not be brought back but with how young the team is likely to be, I can definitely appreciate the consideration of having a fighter around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->