Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
If brian strait got a 4 year deal SM is def worthy of 5 years
We picked him up off waivers and Snow signed him for 3 more years. In those 4 years he was here we made the playoffs 3 times. What have we done since he left, or the years before we picked him up, for that matter? Everyone ragged on him but he was a serviceable bottom pairing D-man while he was here. I'm not saying we should have resigned him but he surely wasn't the problem that everyone made him out to be while he was here.

No one else was going to sign Mayfield to a 5 year deal. The amount isn't bad the term is terrible for a player of his caliber.

Last edited:

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
We picked him up off waivers and Snow signed him for 3 more years. In those 4 years he was here we made the playoffs 3 times. What have we done since he left, or the years before we picked him up, for that matter? Everyone ragged on him but he was a serviceable bottom pairing D-man while he was here. I'm not saying we should have resigned him but he surely wasn't the problem that everyone made him out to be while he was here.

No one else was going to sign Mayfield to a 5 year deal. The amount isn't bad the term is terrible for a player of his caliber.

I was kidding...

Reactions: bigd

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
i know scott gets a lot of hate but i always liked him since he bullied chimera ... could he be turning the corner under Trotz ? he’s been much more noticeable than pelech ...he has some offense and i thought he played a solid game

Reactions: YearlyLottery

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
i know scott gets a lot of hate but i always liked him since he bullied chimera ... could he be turning the corner under Trotz ? he’s been much more noticeable than pelech ...he has some offense and i thought he played a solid game

Mayfield has been 10X the player Pelech has this season. The tides have turned, while I thought Mayfield maybe a journeymen , he looks like a solid 5/6 as of recent... Pelech on the other hand looks totally lost. It's bizarre but sometimes truth is stranger then fiction.

Reactions: TommytheCat

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

At the moment, I'm liking his game MUCH MORE than Pelech's.

And I've been a pretty big Pelech supporter to date...

Reactions: TommytheCat

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
At the moment, I'm liking his game MUCH MORE than Pelech's.

And I've been a pretty big Pelech supporter to date...

There is no reason to give up on Pelech yet. He’s an entire year younger than Mayfield.

He’s fighting the game hard right now. You can see it’s all thinking and not just playing. He’ll come around. Needs time and coaching for things to click.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I have a feeling that Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield are going to look a bit better by the end of the season than they did last year. Give these young players like Pelech and Mayfield a full year under Trotz before we write them off. They say d-men take a while to develop, but there's no guarantee someone ever improves all that much if all they've ever played under is Cap and Weight.

Snow's biggest mistake might not have been his drafting or roster construction but his inability to bring a real coaching staff to the Island and instead just hire friends and cronies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I have a feeling that Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield are going to look a bit better by the end of the season than they did last year. Give these young players like Pelech and Mayfield a full year under Trotz before we write them off. They say d-men take a while to develop, but there's no guarantee someone ever improves all that much if all they've ever played under is Cap and Weight.

Snow's biggest mistake might not have been his drafting or roster construction but his inability to bring a real coaching staff to the Island and instead just hire friends and cronies.
That's actually the problem with having Snow as our GM. He went directly from backup goalie to the Front Office. While he may have known some folks around the game from playing, he didn't have the contacts and relationships across the league necessary to build a competent FO and staff. Add in the fact that there was no money to lure people here, and we get stuck with the Scott Gordons and Jack Capuano's of the world.

And look at Cappy, I don't hate the guy but the only experience he had was coming up the ranks in our budget system. He had no experience coaching - assistant or otherwise - in even another AHL team. The guy had no connections around the league to build a competent staff around him. And again - factor in the money issue, and its not a surprise that we are left with the dregs of the coaching options. I think Cappy could be a decent coach someday - he's now getting the experience that he needs in variety of systems and organizations. But he didn't have it when he ascended to our job.

In contrast, LL comes in, knows everyone around the league and brings in a Stanley Cup winning coach, who also has deep contacts far and wide. BIG F'n difference.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Money surely played a part in the ability to bring in a top flight coach. I think the circus atmosphere and Garth’s “smartest guy in the room” act left any quality coach wanting no part of Snow. Who would come here when winning, clearly was not the priority?

Reactions: bigtim1988

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Though i'm not convinced Mayfield would prosper under Snow's regime, we are going to have to eat our crow with humility and give Snow some credit if he keeps this up. He is definitely serviceable and playing good hockey so far, not too flashy but effective at getting pucks through to the net.

I have a feeling he's going to assist a lot of the 4th line goals. That group knows how to keep it simple, strong forecheck, force a turnover, get a screen in front of the net.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The thing I love about Mayfield is that he’s big, tough, and isn’t shy about getting the puck to the net. As ludicrous as this thought is, I wouldn’t be opposed to giving him a chance on the PP since our biggest problem sometimes is getting too cute

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Though i'm not convinced Mayfield would prosper under Snow's regime, we are going to have to eat our crow with humility and give Snow some credit if he keeps this up. He is definitely serviceable and playing good hockey so far, not too flashy but effective at getting pucks through to the net.

I have a feeling he's going to assist a lot of the 4th line goals. That group knows how to keep it simple, strong forecheck, force a turnover, get a screen in front of the net.

I always felt that Mayfield's combination of size with an above average skating ability should have always made him a solid bottom pairing option even given his hockey IQ was always questionable. That being said he definitely needs to work under a coach who can point him in the right direction and find way to shelter his short comings

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Obviously:

Mayfield plays better in a structured system.

Pelech plays better when the system is running around all over the place with no structure.

But Pelech can learn.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

would it really be eating crow when, even if mayfield turns out to be a solid player, that he never brought in a coaching staff to develop him properly?

makes you start to go down the rabbit hole of "what if we had a decent coaching staff?" how would many of our top picks of the past several years turned out?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
would it really be eating crow when, even if mayfield turns out to be a solid player, that he never brought in a coaching staff to develop him properly?

makes you start to go down the rabbit hole of "what if we had a decent coaching staff?" how would many of our top picks of the past several years turned out?

Well I know I wasn't the only one condeming Snow for signing him to a 5 year deal.

Reactions: Finnislander

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
to be fair, that was before snow was canned and we got a competent coaching staff.

Regardless, the majority thought the deal was ridiculous. It seemed 3 years too long to a guy who was raw and very much a project. Could wind up being one of the best deals, value wise for a blueliner. His cap hit is 1.450 through 2023.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Regardless, the majority thought the deal was ridiculous. It seemed 3 years too long to a guy who was raw and very much a project. Could wind up being one of the best deals, value wise for a blueliner. His cap hit is 1.450 through 2023.
we can only hope.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I really thought he was uncoordinated and terrible, but if you are coached by Cappy (equivalent of when the wood shop teacher inherits the varsity basketball team) and Weight (if you were under 30, he did not know your name), then it is hard to judge.

I do feel that he could be better on the PP as well

Reactions: bigtim1988

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

I think about that with all of them. Certainly there would have been some misfires among those top picks anyway but I really wonder what a guy like Strome would have turned into if he had a guy like Trotz instead of Cappy teaching him. We'll never know how much of the problem was bad drafting vs. bad development, so we just shrug and say "probably both?"

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

OMG. Time heals all wounds and leaves us with the fond memories. Yeah right. This was Brian " The Warrior" Strait who has only played 5 NHL games in the 2+ seasons since he left us .He has played 170 of 187 NHL games in our sweater . Still only 30 years old . He was Cappys pet. This guy was one of the worst Dmento ever play for us. Go back and find his threads in here .

I was going to edit Dmento as it was supposed to read Dmen to but for Strait it actually is Dmento

Reactions: CupHolders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad