Confirmed with Link: Scott Gomez a San Jose Shark - 1 year $700k

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Why do we always yearn for washed up Devils of the past like this? I know Lou's predilection for them, but it doesn't mean we need to share it.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Why do we always yearn for washed up Devils of the past like this? I know Lou's predilection for them, but it doesn't mean we need to share it.

I like the idea of bringing back good people who were former Devils and rarely expect the glory of old days to magically re-appear but in this case I don't because I don't think he's good people.

As for Lou, I think his penchant for them is simply the known quantity factor when it comes to character and team-devotion compared to bringing in a potential square peg for a round hole. There's been a few glaring mistakes in chemistry with people he's tried to incorporate into this team. If it's a close call he's always going to go with the former Devil because it's less risk.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
because:

1) this will be for 1/2 a season.

2) look at our forward depth

3) see #2

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
I'm a little late to this. But I would only want Gomez back if he's serious about turning his **** around. And can be acquired for cheap. The last thing this team needs is a cancer.

If he approached us though, it would be a signal for potential UFAs, as well as our UFAs to be that we're an organization players want to be a part of and that the grass is not greener on the other side.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Give him a shot playing with Kovy. Let Gomez go coast to coast while Kovy finds the soft spots and sets up for a one timer. Just make sure the 3rd player on that line is very responsible defensively.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

1) It's actually closer to 2/3rds than 1/2 at 58.5% of the season being played.

2) look at the center depth (Zajac, Henrique, Josefson)

3) we need wing more than than anything

4) trade fix - D going, wing coming

And I love snow. :p:

I honestly feel that Henrique is more suited to play wing then center. Having too many centers is never a bad thing, never.

I do agree that moving a d-men for a forward is also another solution but if we can land Gomez whitout moving a roster player, on the cheap, I see it as a double bonus since we'd probably add another forward regardless or just have defensive depth coming out of our ass.

Worst case scenario, he sucks and get's sent to Albany for the remainder of the year.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I honestly feel that Henrique is more suited to play wing then center. Having too many centers is never a bad thing, never.

I do agree that moving a d-men for a forward is also another solution but if we can land Gomez whitout moving a roster player, on the cheap, I see it as a double bonus since we'd probably add another forward regardless or just have defensive depth coming out of our ass.

Worst case scenario, he sucks and get's sent to Albany for the remainder of the year.

Centers not listed above;
Carter
Elias
Zubrus

We have plenty of alternate centers to carry the load if for some reason Henrique needs to go to wing. I was simply putting down what is there now and would get displaced if Gomez was wedged into the lineup at center.

I don't think Henrique should move to wing really but I agree his style of play is well suited to it if need be. Zajac and Josefson are our only 2 centers over 50% FO%. Carter(49.85) is 3rd, Henrique is 4th and Elias 5th. Gomez is also under 50% and .8% better than Henrique last year. So it's complicated.

Oh for the record, Clarkson is 42% at faceoffs so please stop having him take them on the PP.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Centers not listed above;
Carter
Elias
Zubrus

We have plenty of alternate centers to carry the load if for some reason Henrique needs to go to wing. I was simply putting down what is there now and would get displaced if Gomez was wedged into the lineup at center.

I don't think Henrique should move to wing really but I agree his style of play is well suited to it if need be. Zajac and Josefson are our only 2 centers over 50% FO%. Carter(49.85) is 3rd, Henrique is 4th and Elias 5th. Gomez is also under 50% and .8% better than Henrique last year. So it's complicated.

Oh for the record, Clarkson is 42% at faceoffs so please stop having him take them on the PP.

We do have some hybrid players but I think Patty, at this stage in his career despite being real productive, will benefit from playing the wing instead of center. As for Zubrus or Carter, I'd rather not see them in the middle unless we have a major crisis on our hands.

I'm just saying that if we can add someone like Gomez, push Adam to wing and not give up a trading chip for a upgrade up front... I'd be a win-win-win scenario IMO.

Henrique-Zajac-Kovy
Elias-Gomez-Butler
Zubrus-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

That's not a lineup that looks all that bad IMO. With Henrique on the sideline, we can swing Zubrus on the top line and not skip a beat, leaving a gap for a possible trade to bolster our bottom 6, cause let's not kid ourselves here, if we do move a d-men... we'll probably land a bottom 6 forward at best.

We can also try and give Tedenby another shot if we can't find the trade we're looking for but in all honesty, that would be my last option.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
1) It's actually closer to 2/3rds than 1/2 at 58.5% of the season being played.

2) look at the center depth (Zajac, Henrique, Josefson)

3) we need wing more than than anything

4) trade fix - D going, wing coming

And I love snow. :p:

you snarky son of a...

1)

2) henrique (injured) can play wing..or gomer can play 4th line center and get mad PP time

3) see #2

i do too, i shouldve clarified..

"snow was fun. slush was not"- Ralph S. Mouse

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Boggles the mind why that happened all the time.

The only reason I can see is that other then Zajac, we have no options when it comes to putting a right handed shot at the dot, so Clarkson was "by default", our last option.

Semak

Give him a shot playing with Kovy. Let Gomez go coast to coast while Kovy finds the soft spots and sets up for a one timer. Just make sure the 3rd player on that line is very responsible defensively.

Like Vladimir Zha... oh :(

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
His play at the moment wouldn`t warrant him a roster spot. He makes a successful play to get himself or his teammate open and then completely kills it with an extra move/bad pass. I`m sorry, but his Devils career is all but over. Not that it should surprise anyone...

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You're talking about Zharkov? Yeah, I knew that least season. In fact I have been contemplating a new avy for a while. I just like the uniqueness of this one. I do need to find something else though. Maybe the same thing with Gelinas...

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
His play at the moment wouldn`t warrant him a roster spot. He makes a successful play to get himself or his teammate open and then completely kills it with an extra move/bad pass. I`m sorry, but his Devils career is all but over. Not that it should surprise anyone...

I was like, this is a pretty weird description of Gomez' play...

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
He might have a better shot if he had a full camp to see if he has anything this season like Sykora last year. But this season I don't know if we have time to let him catch up. But maybe if its 4th line time it couldn't be worse then the two goons we have.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
So Lou decided not to bring back my man Sykie and his 20+ goals, and some of you are contemplating on signing Gomer and his 0.576 goals :handclap::handclap::handclap:
I'm not even gonna think about that other thing ...

MountainGoat

Nooooooooooooooooo god noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
So Lou decided not to bring back my man Sykie and his 20+ goals, and some of you are contemplating on signing Gomer and his 0.576 goals :handclap::handclap::handclap:
I'm not even gonna think about that other thing ...

Yeah, it's hard to understand why Lou isn't bringing Sykora back. Guy's a winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad