Confirmed with Link: Scott Gomez a San Jose Shark - 1 year $700k

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
So with all the word on Gomez returning to UFA status, and the distinct polarity I'm seeing on this board, I thought I'd post a quick poll to gauge the overall mindset of our fans here.

To me, I'd be willing to indulge a reclamation if his mind is in the right place because I trust Lou and Pete to assess the situation properly especially for the short season.

So... thoughts on Gomer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No, no and no.

Devils are set at center when Henrique comes back, and even now it's pretty good. Winger-wise is where are troubles lie.

If we really need some kind of depth or assurance player, Sykora would be back. It's quite obvious Lou doesn't want to go down that road. Come next year, I might be open to giving him a tryout especially if Zajac or a center leaves. But right now, we have too many centers.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Already discussed in another thread................................ a lot.

Rather than post my thoughts again, this sums it up...

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
No. We are set at center and he has the potential to be a disruption in the locker room. We are better off trading a defenseman for someone younger. Gomez is done by all accounts.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Nay. In fact one thousand times nay.

He is a shell of his former self and coming to a team that isn't expected to score a lot of goals will not boost his confidence in anyway when he contributes nothing and his former BFF in Gionta is gone.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I do it. We have cap room in a shortened season, give him a 1 year deal to see if he can help us. I actually think he could benefit greatly from this type of system. If he fails, he fails.

Beetlebum*

Yes, shift Henrique to first line right wing. Gomez slots in as the 2nd or 3rd line center.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wouldn't mind it. Not sure what to vote though $1.5 million tops. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind him at 2 years if it's a million or under. Could be a high reward, especially if he does exceed expectations this year and won't have to worry about him hitting the UFA market like the 4 other guys this year.

He's good faceoff depth too. Not sure if he can play in any situation anymore though. If it costs Butler a spot on the team I'd rather not. I do however, feel a lot more comfortable with Gomez than Tedenby.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
Id do a tryout in camp. See what he can do. I wouldn't sign him unless he comes in on a tryout and wears 98 in camp.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The more Gomer we have, the less Barch or CamJam we have.

Yes I like this! It also means Cam likely goes up to Albany where he doesn't even belong, because he isn't even as good as the players up there. Send that piece of garbage to a landfill with his two way contract.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Carter, Bernier and Sykora have all been decent reclamation projects for NJ recently. Why not give Gomez a second chance on the cheap? More talent than any of them even if he's lost some of it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's not like Gomez is a completely washed up player. He was a decent player on a BAD contract! Shouldn't have ever gotten $7.5 million a year. That was Sather sticking it to us. Last year he was beyond horrible, but a player like that a change of scenery is needed. And a change of salary as well.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'd think Gomez wouldn't be all grinny and **** if he were given a second chance here because he's hanging on a very thin thread regarding his career, but what makes me not believe this is how he was apparently shocked that he was asked not to come to Habs camp and that is a scary thought

I'm meh on giving him an opportunity, but as already mentioned we've seen it happen before with other players, none of which though fell off a cliff as far as Gomez has

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
sign him cheap, Elias can go back on the wing and it gives us depth. If it does not work he leaves in the summer

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm fairly certain some team will give him ~2M. Which, on the Devils, he just isn't worth.

See I'm not concerned about the fact that we'd be shelling out $2 million for him. I wouldn't want him to get that, so Lou sends a message to him. ''You wanna come back? Fine we'll take you back, but only for a million. You prove you can still play, and maybe next year you get something better''

For me I don't care about the $2 million. I just want him to have an incentive to be playing good, and proving he still has something left. That's why I want him to get paid less.

See I'm not concerned about the fact that we'd be shelling out $2 million for him. I wouldn't want him to get that, so Lou sends a message to him. ''You wanna come back? Fine we'll take you back, but only for a million. You prove you can still play, and maybe next year you get something better''

For me I don't care about the $2 million. I just want him to have an incentive to be playing good, and proving he still has something left. That's why I want him to get paid less.

He's right, some idiot team will give him 2 mill. Probably the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->