Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Rumor is Spiderman 3 will have Charlie Cox's Daredevil in it because Spiderman will need a lawyer. Not confirmed...but given their history in the comics, marvels recent trend of team ups, Peter needing a new mentor, and marvel's push for diversity (DD being blind)...it makes a ton of sense. I think Cox would become a fan favorite overnight on the big stage.

If Daredevil continues, I see no reason Bernthals punisher cant.

I am probably setting myself ip for disappointment. Disney will insist they use She Hulk.
I don’t know how they could do it but a punisher vs Spider-Man and daredevil would be awesome with bernthal and the other two.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From what I can recall, the controversial move Brie Larson made was working with a doctor that studies Inclusion Data to try and make a positive difference in having more diversity in the industry.

For this she was attacked incessantly by alt-right trolls and her movie was "review-bombed" on rotten tomatoes before it was released. The same type of trolls that were responsible for #Gamergate.

Chris Evans has been even more outspoken about everything, including diversity, but was never attacked by alt-right trolls. I wonder why?

Obviously this is a slippery slope . I fall into the camp that it is not just the alt right who bash her, but fan boys who do not like women in the lead roles. I am an old school geek and I was shocked how many of my fellow geeks/nerds bash Captain Marvel based just upon the preview. The landscape of of sci fi is changing and some geeks do not like women coming into their playground

Reactions: Rebels57

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rumor is Spiderman 3 will have Charlie Cox's Daredevil in it because Spiderman will need a lawyer. Not confirmed...but given their history in the comics, marvels recent trend of team ups, Peter needing a new mentor, and marvel's push for diversity (DD being blind)...it makes a ton of sense. I think Cox would become a fan favorite overnight on the big stage.

If Daredevil continues, I see no reason Bernthals punisher cant.

I am probably setting myself ip for disappointment. Disney will insist they use She Hulk.

I could be wrong but I believe Disney needs to wait till either 2022 or 2023 before they can use the five chareacters from the netflix series

Indiewire says 2 years
Hoping for ‘Daredevil’ and ‘Jessica Jones’ Revivals? It’s Going to Take Longer Than Just 2 Years

But I have seen other saying it is 4

Reactions: Rebels57

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Obviously this is a slippery slope . I fall into the camp that it is not just the alt right who bash her, but fan boys who do not like women in the lead roles. I am an old school geek and I was shocked how many of my fellow geeks/nerds bash Captain Marvel based just upon the preview. The landscape of of sci fi is changing and some geeks do not like women coming into their playground
No that’s bs. Captain Marvel, ghostbusters 2016, and the like failed for an obvious reason. It’s agenda.
It pandered to an audience that is the most vocal but does not actually support the products.
Wonder Woman did not pander to that audience, and did pretty good for itself.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
No that’s bs. Captain Marvel, ghostbusters 2016, and the like failed for an obvious reason. It’s agenda.
It pandered to an audience that is the most vocal but does not actually support the products.
Wonder Woman did not pander to that audience, and did pretty good for itself.

Captain Marvel did not fail, it grossed over 1 Bill world wide on a 200 mill budget

I liked the movie and found it entertaining.

I think certain fan boys just want to keep it a boys club and keep the woman as being only for eye candy and other stuff.

The landscape has changed and some just do not like it

Ghostbusters 2016 bombed because it was a bad movie

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Captain Marvel did not fail, it grossed over 1 Bill world wide on a 200 mill budget

I think certain fan boys just want to keep it a boys club and keep the woman as being only for eye candy and other stuff.

It’s like 8th best in revenue of the marvel universe. When it’s potentially your new flagship character for phase two that sort of an issue. There was not much else in the box office when it was released. Fail may have been too strong of a word but it did not do as good as they had hoped.
Keep it a boys club and keep women as eye candy? Arguably one of the best characters written is Ripley from Alien. She’s pretty much universally loved, and I wouldn’t really say eye candy. When a good character is written, the character should be able to be any race or gender unless the storyline specifically calls for it. The character shouldn’t dictate the story.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It’s like 8th best in revenue of the marvel universe. When it’s potentially your new flagship character for phase two that sort of an issue. There was not much else in the box office when it was released. Fail may have been too strong of a word but it did not do as good as they had hoped.
Keep it a boys club and keep women as eye candy? Arguably one of the best characters written is Ripley from Alien. She’s pretty much universally loved, and I wouldn’t really say eye candy. When a good character is written, the character should be able to be any race or gender unless the storyline specifically calls for it. The character shouldn’t dictate the story.

Fun Fact about Ripley was that it was written for a male actor but after meeting with Weaver they cast her but kept most of the lines the same

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Fun Fact about Ripley was that it was written for a male actor but after meeting with Weaver they cast her but kept most of the lines the same
?
Veronica Cartwright was originally cast as ripley. They switched her to Lambert when they auditioned Weaver.
Ripley was written as a character and it was assumed, I assume, as a man while writing it but they decided to go with a woman. No parts of the character had to be changed to fit an agenda or to alter the story to shoehorn the sex.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I could be wrong but I believe Disney needs to wait till either 2022 or 2023 before they can use the five chareacters from the netflix series

Indiewire says 2 years
Hoping for ‘Daredevil’ and ‘Jessica Jones’ Revivals? It’s Going to Take Longer Than Just 2 Years

But I have seen other saying it is 4

Disney Is Getting Daredevil Back From Netflix Soon, But Will They Use Him?

Does Marvel Already Have the Daredevil Rights Back?

Lots of mixed reports on it...so who know. They got spidey in the MCU so i dont think anything is off the table.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Disney Is Getting Daredevil Back From Netflix Soon, But Will They Use Him?

Does Marvel Already Have the Daredevil Rights Back?

Lots of mixed reports on it...so who know. They got spidey in the MCU so i dont think anything is off the table.
It’s in a weird limbo. Universal studios had the same thing going on with their islands of adventure or whatever the superhero themed park was. Disney got the rights but allowed them to use it for a short while until the contract ran up or something.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

"Captain Marvel" was a TERRIBLE movie, and it pissed me off, because I love Brie Larson and I am an enormous fan and supporter of girl power. Everything about that film was ****ing awful.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
The new ghostbusters movie sucked. It felt like two hours of SNL skits stitched together.

They only caught one ghost ffs(which then escapes and kills bill Murray in one of the most baffling cameos ever)

It was just too on the nose. All the characters were played like they were in on the joke. Which could have worked if all the jokes hadn’t sucked. The only one I remember was the Chinese food delivery, and I only remember it because they used the same joke like four times

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The new ghostbusters movie sucked. It felt like two hours of SNL skits stitched together.

They only caught one ghost ffs(which then escapes and kills bill Murray in one of the most baffling cameos ever)

It was just too on the nose. All the characters were played like they were in on the joke. Which could have worked if all the jokes hadn’t sucked. The only one I remember was the Chinese food delivery, and I only remember it because they used the same joke like four times

Yooo... spoiler man.

Wait are we talking the all women ghostbusters or the Ghostbusters: Afterlife with Paul Rudd and the kid from Stranger Things that comes out next year?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Oh, ok. Well why would you ever watch that shitshow?
I was on vacation at my aunts and one of my cousins wanted to watch it. Everybody else watched it with her and I didn’t want to be that guy and go do something else by myself.

It was the worst kind of bad movie in that it was awful, but not entertaining. A solid 3/10.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I was on vacation at my aunts and one of my cousins wanted to watch it. Everybody else watched it with her and I didn’t want to be that guy and go do something else by myself.

It was the worst kind of bad movie in that it was awful, but not entertaining. A solid 3/10.
I’d be an aho and do something on my own.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Ultimately, I'm unsure about my feelings on WW season 3. It's my least favorite season, that I can tell you. The highs are high but a lot of it was just...off. It just feels like some of the story choices (ha, choice!) zigged when they should have zagged, and interesting ideas weren't fully developed.

I've never been that interested in Dolores, and this was a particularly Dolores-heavy season, what with 5 or more of her running around. The inverted Terminator plot with Cal didn't quite land with me. I think the idea was more interesting than execution of it. Serac being the puppet of Rehoboam rather than its master was an interesting reveal that then was promptly dropped in favor of far less interesting ideas. Maeve was little more than an action hero this season.

Ed Harris was strong in limited time, particularly in one gonzo episode. Is William actually dying / dead? Because that was both a very cool after-credits scene but it also makes for one hell of an anti-climactic end to the series' first villain. Robo-MiB just isn't going to be the same thing.

Tessa Thompson carried the season as Halores, who had by far the most interesting arc of the season. Her ending up as the ultimate villain just when she completely gained our sympathy and having it make logical sense nearly redeemed the other questionable choices and missed opportunities this season. Also, is Dolores gone now? On some level I would really like that, but I can't imagine that they won't be bringing ERW back for season 4, and it's not like Halores can't just make another copy.

Jeffrey Wright / Bernard, the most compelling actor / character in the show isn't given anything to do the entire season. In the final after-credits scene, he wakes up years / decades later. How big of a time jump are we talking about here? That would seem to have a lot of implications for season 4.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Have to agree. That movie was terrible, and I usually enjoy all of those actresses. Just bad writing and directing.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
OK, I just finished the Whirlwind Maze in FF7 and watched about 15 minutes of cut scenes about Cloud being a clone or something.

Can someone give me a spoiler free as possible summary of what just happened?

I think Cloud isn't really a person or something, and he's a Mako creation that Sephiroth is manipulating. And now there's some giant robot dragon thing? Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad