Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah that's what my friend said. Otherwise there's various hardcover sets. But I don't think they have anything cool like Subterranean Press editions. The complete Malazan set is pretty nerdgasmic.

I got some British hardcovers of Harry Potter - I used to have all of them, but I think I only have one left. They were smaller than regular hardcovers, so they were cool.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
24AA17DF-876D-42AC-A054-7758C015FCBB.jpeg

new, unfinished novel from Romero. It’s new material, not a novel using one of his movies as source material.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin

On book 9. How did these protagonists survive so long when they're so unwilling to ever trust anyone with anything? Trust no one only works so far. After that, you're on your own, naked, swimming in the north sea with a cannon tied to your ankle.

That's "Wheel of Time," right? Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing is so frustrating. The bones of a great new (at the time of publishing) epic are there - it just got away from him (plot-wise) and he never met a woman in real life (character-wise). Such a shame.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
That's "Wheel of Time," right? Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing is so frustrating. The bones of a great new (at the time of publishing) epic are there - it just got away from him (plot-wise) and he never met a woman in real life (character-wise). Such a shame.

Rand got two letters from one person. He has another person with him that knows her and speaks to her regularly. He assumes that she hates him based on one of the two letters, rather than asking his lifelong friend, "Hey, can you ask her what she meant?"

SO maddening.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
I was about to tell him "You are in the real doldrums of this series, from here to Book 11" - but I didn't, because I am nice and you are cruel :laugh:

It's ok, I've been catching up on 20 years of Schlock Mercenary between reading a couple chapters. Oh, and building a patio and doing my masters.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
I just finished my re-read of The Stormlight Archive. Love those books.

I'm washing them down with a re-read of Lord of the Rings, inspired by beef.

In between I read the first couple Dresden Files books. They were fineish but I have no desire to keep reading.

Thanks for reminding me. Book 16 is out next week.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yup. I loved the first book, but by the 6th or 7th it just got away from him. I slogged through to the end just to see how it would turn out. I actually thought Sanderson taking over for him was an improvement but the end was all Jordan and pretty disappointing. And yeah, his female characters were horribly one dimensional and poorly written.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Robin Hobb is fantastic and she will break your heart with her stories. I highly recommend her books.
Never heard of her tbh. A large portion of my reading has begrudgingly turned towards zombie series and has strayed away from ongoing epics of a series where I have to reread books 1-7 before 8 comes out and all that jazz.

My most notable such series was the sword of truth by good kind and vampire earth by knight, and I guess asofai by Martin.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Never heard of her tbh. A large portion of my reading has begrudgingly turned towards zombie series and has strayed away from ongoing epics of a series where I have to reread books 1-7 before 8 comes out and all that jazz.

My most notable such series was the sword of truth by good kind and vampire earth by knight, and I guess asofai by Martin.
Loved the first four Sword of Truth books, the rest, not so much.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Loved the first four Sword of Truth books, the rest, not so much.
Yeah it got a little weird after a bit, I’m not sure where I jumped off. Maybe right before the mother confessor was released? If that’s even a book title, I know the hardback was mostly white.

I’m probably a few books back on the vampire earth series. It was really good if you like any sort of light military type setting but the last one of his that I read was very poorly done. I suspect it was ghost written, and the worst part is that the last page (or the big reveal at the end of the book) was accidentally printed halfway through the book completely ruining it.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yeah it got a little weird after a bit, I’m not sure where I jumped off. Maybe right before the mother confessor was released? If that’s even a book title, I know the hardback was mostly white.

I’m probably a few books back on the vampire earth series. It was really good if you like any sort of light military type setting but the last one of his that I read was very poorly done. I suspect it was ghost written, and the worst part is that the last page (or the big reveal at the end of the book) was accidentally printed halfway through the book completely ruining it.
The Soul of the Fire was the SoT book where I thought it went off the rails. For me, the 2nd and 3rd books were the best of the series.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
The Soul of the Fire was the SoT book where I thought it went off the rails. For me, the 2nd and 3rd books were the best of the series.
Looking online, I made it to book 9. There are 8 new(er) ones that I haven’t read. No thank you

Reactions: BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->