Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
So the witch responsible for taking down the Witcher homemade made a comment of watching her mother, who was also a witch, be killed by a Witcher while hiding in a cabinet. Isn’t a major plot line to the Witcher show that magic users are sterile?Did they anime just throw everything out of the window?

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
So the witch responsible for taking down the Witcher homemade made a comment of watching her mother, who was also a witch, be killed by a Witcher while hiding in a cabinet. Isn’t a major plot line to the Witcher show that magic users are sterile?Did they anime just throw everything out of the window?

Are they? I thought it was just Yennifer because it was a component of the physical transformation that was performed on her. But I haven't read the books, only watched the live-action show.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Are they? I thought it was just Yennifer because it was a component of the physical transformation that was performed on her. But I haven't read the books, only watched the live-action show.
I assumed it was everyone since there is a price to pay for power. Geralt and the rest of the Witcher’s are sterile as well aren’t they?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I watched Battlefield Earth today. I read the book as a teenager, but never got around to seeing the film. Obviously I've heard that it's one of the worst films of all time. But I have a love for awful films, and thought I'd find some entertainment out of it.

What follows is my review:

i-dont-like-that-pitch-meeting.gif

I don't think I've ever watched a movie that caused me physical pain. The constant Dutch Angles put a crick in my neck. I feel bad for the poor schmuck who had to edit that abomination.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I watched Battlefield Earth today. I read the book as a teenager, but never got around to seeing the film. Obviously I've heard that it's one of the worst films of all time. But I have a love for awful films, and thought I'd find some entertainment out of it.

I don't think I've ever watched a movie that caused me physical pain. The constant Dutch Angles put a crick in my neck. I feel bad for the poor schmuck who had to edit that abomination.

I shockingly liked the book at the time, which was before Scientology really took off in the broader imagination. I am sure I would hate it now. There are no words for that f***ing movie lol

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I shockingly liked the book at the time, which was before Scientology really
took off in the broader imagination. I am sure I would hate it now. There are no words for that f***ing movie lol

Yeah, I was like 14 and had no idea what Scientology was, and I liked the book well enough. That's definitely on my list of nostalgic things that I'll never revisit.

But yeah. The movie. Holy shit. It's like a bizarre fever dream you'd have after reading the book, but it actually exists.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Yeah there is nothing to redeem this. Even its special effects looked terrible

The 1,000+ years old perfect condition harriers with working flight simulators that they primitive humans learn to fly in a couple days is an especially cringe inducing plot point

I grew up watching shitty straight to VHS horror/scifi B-movies thru my youth in 90's from local video store (Which had a large selection of horror/scifi ,, I miss video stores) and those movies mainly from 80's/early 90's still have special place in my heart even at worst they have some redeeming value or can be good turn off brain and waste 90-120 minutes (Sometimes just 70+ minutes)

A movie like Battlefield has no redeeming quality and I haven't watched movie all the way thru probably since it first showed up on Showtime or HBO (Cant recall who got it first) for me to waste 2 hours of my life I will never get back

Its one of the rare movies in which critics and audience both agree in how terrible it is. I always felt Ebert was generous giving it a half star

Battlefield Earth movie review (2000) | Roger Ebert

Battlefield Earth" is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way

I watched it in mounting gloom, realizing I was witnessing something historic, a film that for decades to come will be the punch line of jokes about bad movies. There is a moment here when the Psychlos' entire planet (home office and all) is blown to smithereens, without the slightest impact on any member of the audience (or, for that matter, the cast). If the film had been destroyed in a similar cataclysm, there might have been a standing ovation.

I forgot about the idiotic fact Denver was still in pretty good condition 1,000 years after war and books had no damage from elements in 1,000 years in Denver , Colorado!

Last edited:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

It cant replicate the original also its the CW so its going to suck

Also as the new Star Treks have shown they will butcher all that you loved about original and turn it into a joke

I am happy that Warner Brothers remastered original and put it on HBO Max

Lol. What. CW?

I don't even think any of the characters/cast were under 30 and most were over 40.

But JMS went and took a big dump on Spider-man when he took over as writer and created that whole "Gwen Stacy got pregnant by Norman Osborne and secretly had twins before she died" garbage of a thing. So why not revisit his own show (or let someone else) and take a dump on it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Saw the reboot of Amazing Stories that was on Apple+ last year before it was cancelled (Just 5 episodes)

It was awful and yet another piss poor attempt at reviving "Anthology" genre. That is a genre that should thrive (New stories , etc every episode) but every attempt at genre since mid 90's has been either absolutely horrendous or piss poor

I grew up just as what some would argue was golden era of anthology series was winding down but I still got to enjoy it either while it was still on TV (Tales from the Crypt and Outer Limits) or in syndication (Tales from the Darkside , Twilight Zone 1980's , etc)

The Hitchhiker (1983-88) = 6 seasons , 85 episodes
Tales from the Darkside (1984-88) = 4 seasons , 89 episodes
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1985-89) = 4 seasons , 76 episodes
Amazing Stories (1985-87) = 2 seasons , 45 episodes
Ray Bradbury Theater (1985-92) = 6 seasons , 65 episodes
Twilight Zone (1985-89) = 3 seasons , 65 episodes
Friday the 13th: The Series (1987-90) = 3 seasons , 71 episodes
Freddy's Nightmares (1988-90) = 2 seasons , 44 episodes
Monsters (1988-91) = 3 seasons , 72 episodes
Tales from the Crypt (1989-96) = 7 seasons , 93 episodes
The Outer Limits (1995-2002) = 7 seasons , 154 episodes

Since TFTC went off air the attempts at anthology series have been failures (Probably missing a few)

Perversions of Science (1997) = 1 seasons , 10 episodes
Welcome to Paradox (1998) = 1 seasons , 13 episodes
Dark Realm (2001) = 1 season , 13 episodes
Night Visions (2001) = 1 season , 13 episodes
Twilight Zone (2002-2003) = 1 season , 43 episodes
Masters of Horror (2005-2007) = 2 seasons , 26 episodes
Masters of Science Fiction (2007) = 1 season , 6 episodes
Fear Itself (2008) = 1 season , 13 episodes
Black Mirror (2012-19) = 5 seasons , 22 episodes
Twilight Zone (2019) = 2 seasons , 20 episodes
Amazing Stories (2020) = 1 season , 5 episodes

I tried getting into Black Mirror but just couldn't nor did I care for American Horror Story (Stopped watching season 2) which isn't really at all comparable to classic anthology structure/stories. Both Twilight Zones were complete disappointments with the most recent the worst twilight zone series

Are there any anthology series that maybe I am not aware of or flying under radar to give a look on one of the streaming services that is comparable to stuff I grew up watching?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am actually shocked Alien Nation has never gotten look from networks/streaming services for reboot/revival

Its cast is still for most part alive and the topics back then of series are still very relevant today. A continuation of that series would not be expensive (It hardly used special effects) and I think it could find an audience based just on nostalgia alone

Alien Nation was underrated Scifi franchise that could be expanded upon if anyone went ahead and brought it back to life

- 1 theater release movie (That was modest box office success)
- TV show (Cancelled idiotically by Fox after 1 year despite carving niche audience against MNF , Murphy Brown , etc)
- 5 Made for TV films based on series (Fox way of correcting early cancellation mistake)

That is a show that you can revive and throw smack dab into today's world and find a long list of storylines/etc for

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Lol. What. CW?

I don't even think any of the characters/cast were under 30 and most were over 40.

But JMS went and took a big dump on Spider-man when he took over as writer and created that whole "Gwen Stacy got pregnant by Norman Osborne and secretly had twins before she died" garbage of a thing. So why not revisit his own show (or let someone else) and take a dump on it.
What’s this about Spider-Man?

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
What’s this about Spider-Man?
Dunno if that's a genuine question or just one of those sarcastic "I chose to ignore what happened" type things (but that would be appropriate in this case)

Basically about 20 years ago the creator of Babylon 5 was named head writer for Amazing Spider-Man comic by Marvel. He then created a storyline where Gwen Stacy had slept with Norman Osborne, secretly had twins, and the children were hidden (and like aged up by Green Goblin chemicals or something). All retconned to have taken place before Gwen Stacy died.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Defect

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

It cant replicate the original also its the CW so its going to suck

Also as the new Star Treks have shown they will butcher all that you loved about original and turn it into a joke

I am happy that Warner Brothers remastered original and put it on HBO Max

only good new ST is Lower Decks and i am sure it is not everyone's cup of tea but i love it..my expectations are high for Strange New Worlds so i am sure i will be disappointed

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Dunno if that's a genuine question or just one of those sarcastic "I chose to ignore what happened" type things (but that would be appropriate in this case)

Basically about 20 years ago the creator of Babylon 5 was named head writer for Amazing Spider-Man comic by Marvel. He then created a storyline where Gwen Stacy had slept with Norman Osborne, secretly had twins, and the children were hidden (and like aged up by Green Goblin chemicals or something). All retconned to have taken place before Gwen Stacy died.
Oh sweet Jesus that’s ridiculous, even for a comic.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You know what would be nice instead of B5 getting reboot? If someone gave James Wong and Glen Morgan some $ to give a conclusion to Space: Above and Beyond ,, God damn would I like some sorta TV movie or mini-series to end that series

I hate when something is cancelled that you invest time in and ends with a cliff hanger and no conclusion

Alien Nation got a TV Movie (+ more) to end its cliff hanger after cancellation

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
When it comes to Straczynski outside of some of his work on 1980's Twilight Zone , Babylon 5 and Jeremiah (That was promising show that only lasted 2 years) the rest of his work isn't that impressive

He is one of the people to hold accountable for the god awful adaption of World War Z (He wrote the storyline treatment)

Also there seems to be common theme of him having issues with companies

Warner Brothers (Babylon 5)
MGM/Showtime (Jeremiah)
Etc , Etc

If it happens once then sure maybe company is problem but to keep happening says he was part of problem or maybe even the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad