Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Shit has been spoilered. Sorry about that, I got caught up ranting about something that annoyed me.

I find it hard to believe that people didn't get Starship Troopers was satire. They laid it on pretty thick.

Depends on the age you were first time seeing it. I had no clue at 12 years old.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Depends on the age you were first time seeing it. I had no clue at 12 years old.
Same, but repeated viewings as I grew up was a total oh shit moment.
Yeah true. All adolescent SBA remembered was the coed shower scene and lots of bug fights.

Then I watched it as an adult and you have the triple amputee guy and Doogie Howser dressed up like a freaking nazi.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
EECF7036-6215-4BB8-9F36-21AE70187BFB.jpeg

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I’m working through the animated Prime series right now. Really liked Invincible. I’d seen Vinland Saga a bit ago, which is also good, but kinda a slog to get through due to the grim subject matter. Land of the Lustrous is a gem, though it ends on a cliffhanger. Banana Fish really has disappointed me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Some of the stuff looks bat**** insane. Really wondering what the Studio Ghibli-ish looking design(I don't think they actually are involved) type story is.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

Some of the stuff looks bat**** insane. Really wondering what the Studio Ghibli-ish looking design(I don't think they actually are involved) type story is.

looks decent..but star wars really has a jedi problem...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
looks decent..but star wars really has a jedi problem...

They protect it way too hard and it's honestly kind of shitty. I wish they would take the route of The Last Jedi and make it bit more free flowing and less black and white. The fact that it's totally black and white between the two is stupid. Grey areas for these kind of characters can allow for flawed, interesting people.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Anyone watch the Witcher anime movie?
I’m not 100% on it, only played the third one and not very far into it. I thought Geralt spent time in the Witcher enclave training other Witcher’s, or at least that one girl. Did they retcon stuff or am I confusing things? Also, for not feeling any emotion, dude in the anime was showing a hell of a lot of emotion.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I’m not 100% on it, only played the third one and not very far into it. I thought Geralt spent time in the Witcher enclave training other Witcher’s, or at least that one girl. Did they retcon stuff or am I confusing things? Also, for not feeling any emotion, dude in the anime was showing a hell of a lot of emotion.

the Witcher books were good..the games i just can't get into..feel there is something holding me back in them..pretty sure it's the combat..not a fan of it for some reason..tried the Netflix series..decent..but i never got back to it after episode 4..have to give it another go...not much into anime myself really, but maybe i will try the animated series at some point

and yes Geralt did do what you said

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
the Witcher books were good..the games i just can't get into..feel there is something holding me back in them..pretty sure it's the combat..not a fan of it for some reason..tried the Netflix series..decent..but i never got back to it after episode 4..have to give it another go...not much into anime myself really, but maybe i will try the animated series at some point

and yes Geralt did do what you said

I had the same issue with the game. I only played Witcher III, which is supposedly the best one, but I lost interest after 10 hours or so.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I had the same issue with the game. I only played Witcher III, which is supposedly the best one, but I lost interest after 10 hours or so.
I fall off right when you get to that first castle and have to be all nicey nice.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I played the Witcher II right before III, which helped somewhat, but the first two games are pretty far removed from the last. In the first two games, Geralt has amnesia, so they're doing their own things (mostly). But III is heavily book based, a true sequel, so if you're not familiar with the events and how the characters got there -- though if you're patient, the game does a great job -- it can probably seem quite dense in the first ~20-30 hours. I read a helpful guide before playing and also did my own research to fill myself in on the 5 Ws. It made for a better experience.

Combat is probably the weakest part of the game, though it's more average than bad. But the plot and characters and quests and writing were god tier. Truly, one of the most immersive, detailed, rewarding games I've ever played. Gaming is rarely, if ever, as emotionally mature and complex.

@DancingPanther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad