Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
looks like another..eh season for ST: Discovery

I was interested a lot in it before it premiered and then let down. I was interested a lot in Picard and then let down and really kicked in the balls with the last episode and what they did to Picard. (I am mildly interested in seeing Q in S2, but eh)

Really the only thing that's delivered was Captain Pike on Discovery and Strange New World's is probably what I'm most interested in.

The thing about Discovery last season that was extremely irritating. They jumped to a future where the Federation had effectively been broken up. Putting it back together, gradually building allies all of that could have been the show going forward. Instead it's a greeting here and there, but generally just poof. Wave your hand and now move on to some other thing that brings the ship away from re-establishing/dealing with the rebuild.

Only thing in that trailer that stood out was the Ferrengi. Would be kinda cool if it turned out that far into the future the Ferrengi were now like an altruistic race helping others lol.

Reactions: trostol and BiggE

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Picard indeed was a letdown..so with that and Discovery being ..just meh..i am going into SNW with low expectations...though i admit i do love Lower Decks

Reactions: Flybynite and BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Picard indeed was a letdown..so with that and Discovery being ..just meh..i am going into SNW with low expectations...though i admit i do love Lower Decks
Lower Decks is fun. Picard, more than anything else, is just slow moving and often boring. Though getting new stuff with Q should be fun.

Discovery is ok, at times good, and at times mediocre.

In other news, I’m pretty stoked for the new Dune film.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
One of the advantages of a theater is total immersion. That’s what is worth the ticket price, ideally. From a blockbuster to an indie, it’s full on attention.

My problem with theaters is I find the viewing experience hit or miss. Not so much PaWrapper the Wrapper 2 aisles down — I tend to go off hours, or I did before the last year — but more like there’s been a new trend of poor sound quality. Too many theaters are showing their age with picture quality too. Honestly, a real IMAX theater for a movie shot in the format (not the fake LIEMAX) is the best experience I have, just for the modern tech. That is worth the price of admission But that’s a rare occasion given my usual fare.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
You know what he did instead was invent a f***ing ridiculous love story between elf and dwarf for the Hobbit trilogy and oatmealed it further to f*** with terrible CGI.

The dwarf/elf ‘love story’ was the worst f***ing idea in a movie filled with terrible f***ing ideas. Gimli and Legolas’s whole character arcs were about being the first dwarf and elf in thousands of years to develop a relationship. Top tier bromance right there.

EXCEPT NO, LEGOLAS WAS ALREADY MABYE SORT OF INVOLVED IN A LOVE TRIANGLE INVOLVING A DWARF 50 YEARS EARLIER.

I didn’t mind most of the changes that they made in the LotR movies (the Barrow Downs and Bombadil in particular would have had folks bitching), but the Hobbit movies just took a giant steaming shit all over Tolkien’s work. A dwarf/elf love story? A bearded man in drag with boob gold?

f*** outta here.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The dwarf/elf ‘love story’ was the worst f***ing idea in a movie filled with terrible f***ing ideas. Gimli and Legolas’s whole character arcs were about being the first dwarf and elf in thousands of years to develop a relationship. Top tier bromance right there.

EXCEPT NO, LEGOLAS WAS ALREADY MABYE SORT OF INVOLVED IN A LOVE TRIANGLE INVOLVING A DWARF 50 YEARS EARLIER.

I didn’t mind most of the changes that they made in the LotR movies (the Barrow Downs and Bombadil in particular would have had folks bitching), but the Hobbit movies just took a giant steaming shit all over Tolkien’s work. A dwarf/elf love story? A bearded man in drag with boob gold?

f*** outta here.
What’s that last part?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm actually angry about this. I've never been a Jackson hater, I was casually annoyed that he left out the Faramir-Eowyn/Aragorn in the houses of healing stuff. But the Galadriel-Gimli interaction is freaking beautiful, it shows her wisdom and his.
It's really dumb as it would have been a nice reference for viewers of the new Amazon series, in which surely Feanor and Galadriel are a part. Feanor asked her for a lock of hair three times, presumably to do great magic with it, and she refused him.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
What’s that last part?
Another of the movie inventions, Alfred, who was the henchman for the Lake Town governor.

I think it was during the third movie, he ran away instead of fighting the goblins with the rest of the men. But they didn’t just have him run away, they put him in a dress and had him use it it conceal the governors gold that he stole. It was f***ing abominable.

upload_2021-10-14_12-48-24.gif

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
And the worst part was the boob gold coming back as a Chekhov’s gun type thing in a deleted scene. They made an awful cgi Gandalf/Troll fight, and Alfred gets launched into the troll’s mouth because a piece fell out and triggered a catapult. I will say the look on his face before he gets yeeted is hilarious, but everything else here is the worst.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad