Rumor: Schmaltz trade talks heating up?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think Schmaltz could be had basically for a single 1st round pick, but I'm not sure how keen Bill Armstrong/ownership is to get out of that commitment.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Elliotte says he’s hearing a little bit about nick schmaltz. And all of a sudden hfb throws up a thread “schmaltz trade talks heating up”

never change hfb… never change…

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Schmaltz is one the most underrated players in the league. Should go for a decent haul

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
So…what do the Coyotes want from CAR for Schmaltz + Gotisbehere?

Is Carolina in a financial position to take on a guy that will make 8 mil per in real dollars over the next three years?
I’d give it a 99% chance Arizona will retain 50% on Ghost because he’s up at the end of the year to make the package more enticing.

Retention on Schmaltz probably won’t happen unless Carolina really overpays. No need to lock up 2/3 of the retention slots for the next 3 years when you’re a team that will be selling off pieces every deadline.

Reactions: DaveG

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
There haven't been any rumours about offers or asking price.

I have no clue what the market would be like for Schmaltz.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Wouldn’t mind Schmaltz in WPG, depending on the cost

The Jets can also help ARI reach the cap floor by sending Schmidt and his 2 more yrs of 5.95m AAV back as part of the deal…:naughty:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Coyotes are bitches for doing this. They overtly refuse to operate as a major league franchise.

After putting Chychrun on the block, this type of thing doesn’t surprise me anymore with the Yotes. Lol.

Chychrun asked for a trade though but who can blame him? Arizona seems more concerned with saving every cent as opposed to actually building something.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Led Tasso

Jun 2, 2016
Shout out to the Toronto Maple Leafs who sold the #13 Overall pick Seth Jarvis to Carolina for $4.6 million. He is a gem. Signed - the poverty franchise.
So much of the fanbases around the league are absolutely delusional. Our owner dropped 250 million on a league just to close it for technology he wanted. No need to argue with, nor feed the trolls.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Exactly. I highly doubt Carolina makes a trade like this. They’ll be shopping in the discount bin again.

C'mon. Per CF, the on-paper (insurance unknown) salary expenditure for the team in 22-23 is over $84 mil. That's about a mil away from New York and Toronto.

It's not 2019 anymore. Dundon has proved that he's committed financially.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Canes are probably the likeliest team to acquire Schmaltz. One of the most fundamental parts of the way our front office operates nowadays is they are in the conversation about EVERYBODY. Tkachuk. Eichel. Meier. Schmaltz. Boeser. I guarantee you they explore every trade option that would enhance the top 6. What differentiates the Canes from other front offices is they talk about everybody, but they fall in love with nobody. Meaning, they'll ask about 10 different forwards, and ultimately end up taking the best perceived deal that Eric Tulsky can find. They won't pony up more and more to get "their guy". They have no "guy". They will be absolutely cutthroat in making the team better. And it has to work short term. They are anathema to expensive rentals.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think a single late first, it reminds me of the Skjei trade if it happens.

CAR should be all over that. I think he’d cost a bit more. 1st + prospect. The Canes prob have interest In Gotisbehere and (dare I say it) potentially Chychrun too. Obviously Chychrun + Schmaltz would be a hell of a trade, don’t see that happening…Schmaltz + Gotisbehere, yeah, I see that as very possible.

Reactions: Chrispy

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
CAR should be all over that. I think he’d cost a bit more. 1st + prospect. The Canes prob have interest In Gotisbehere and (dare I say it) potentially Chychrun too. Obviously Chychrun + Schmaltz would be a hell of a trade, don’t see that happening…Schmaltz + Gotisbehere, yeah, I see that as very possible.
The actual price really depends on if ARZ ownership is eager to get out of paying his salary committments, it's a factor that's impossible to really know, but the Weber acquisition seems to me a sign that they are hoping to do exactly that.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Exactly. I highly doubt Carolina makes a trade like this. They’ll be shopping in the discount bin again.
They'll be shopping in the discount bin again- but not because they aren't in a financial position to obtain this guy.

It is because they are obsessed with "assets" instead of players. And those assets must come at a price determined by a rigid, inflexible process. And if they don't then its no deal.

Reactions: Brock Anton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad