Rumor: Schmaltz trade talks heating up?

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Friedman keeps hinting at Schmaltz to Carolina. I am hoping this is just their plan to nudge another deal. Schmaltz just doesn't move the needle much for me. Carolina has enough RW.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Be a nice piece. Contract is kinda wild.

Friedman keeps hinting at Schmaltz to Carolina. I am hoping this is just their plan to nudge another deal. Schmaltz just doesn't move the needle much for me. Carolina has enough RW.

Schmaltz has like 90 points in his last 82 games or something doesn't he?

Sorry. 96 in his last 105.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Schmaltz is near a PPG, has fantastic metrics, was historically a center until this year, and would be the second guy in our lineup who can take right-handed faceoffs. He would very much a needle mover for Carolina. Carolina could also theoretically take on both of the Chychrun and Schmaltz contracts and still be under the cap, if a package deal is realistic.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He has a substantially higher salary than cap hit. Ownership likely prefers to save real money.
I noticed that as well. But at some point they have to ice a team. Even with the Weber contract if the move on from guys like Schmaltz and Chychrun they will have a huge amount to spend to hit the floor. Plus when doe a guy like Keller say enough is enough.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Schmaltz is near a PPG, has fantastic metrics, and was historically a center until this year. He is very much a needle mover.
The Center bit just isn't true. He has had more than 500 faceoffs in a year twice in his career. And he has been legitimately terrible in those years averaging 40%.

I don't see the "fantastic metrics". He is one of the most sheltered players on Arizona. I love advanced stats and I just don't see the case for him.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If the Canes elected to go after Schmaltz vs Meier, they’d have quite a bit more space to go shopping with this summer since Schmaltz is locked in at $5.85M vs $10M QO for Meier.

I think Meier is a better fit for what the Canes need, but Schmaltz and the subsequent cap savings (on top of acquisition cost savings) are something to consider

I’d easily have the Canes’ 1st on the table here, and ready to add if need be.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I noticed that as well. But at some point they have to ice a team. Even with the Weber contract if the move on from guys like Schmaltz and Chychrun they will have a huge amount to spend to hit the floor. Plus when doe a guy like Keller say enough is enough.
Likely they take on more vets who can still play but have more cap to salary. At least until they have a new arena.

EDIT: Still play means healthy enough to play, but no longer as good as they once were. I offer Josh Bailey as an example and as an actual offer to their GM.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This would be the ideal candidate for the Penguins to target. If you can send Kapanen out and let Zucker walk, Schmalz would be a great top 6 wing replacement and could even play center in a pinch,.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
If the Canes elected to go after Schmaltz vs Meier, they’d have quite a bit more space to go shopping with this summer since Schmaltz is locked in at $5.85M vs $10M QO for Meier.

I think Meier is a better fit for what the Canes need, but Schmaltz and the subsequent cap savings (on top of acquisition cost savings) are something to consider

I’d easily have the Canes’ 1st on the table here, and ready to add if need be.
Meier is one of the best power forwards in the league. Schmaltz is constantly injured. They are not comparable players at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad