Rumor: Schmaltz trade talks heating up?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
If Arizona retains some salary to get that cap hit down under 4.5, Schmaltz would be a great add for any team. He has good wheels, vision, a shot, and plays good defense. He's a very underrated player IMO who just needs to stay healthy. Before the ROR deal, I was really hoping that Toronto would trade for him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Crouse is not the same situation as Schmaltz, the base salary in his deal is not weighted at the back end.

Besides he’s the ideal handcuff for Bedard next season (or Fantilli or Carlsson). :naughty:

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Seeing a pattern. When a Coyotes salary increases over his cap hit, they are moved.

OEL, Chychrun, now Schmaltz. Watch Vejmelka get traded in the offseason.

Reactions: BKarchitect

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Seeing a pattern. When a Coyotes salary increases over his cap hit, they are moved.

OEL, Chychrun, now Schmaltz. Watch Vejmelka get traded in the offseason.
Sure but OEL was/is dunzo. Chych asked for a trade cause he wanted to compete in the playoffs. Schmaltz is the first one that doesn't have any major issues besides being injured and not a C. Vej may get traded before the off season and it would have nothing to do with his salary increase. So I guess it depends on one's view of a half full glass of water.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
As a Yotes fan, I'm not super happy about this. It's nothing but dumping salary to save $$$. He's been on the top line with Keller and Hayton and have built some nice chemistry.

Schmaltz is not capable at center. If you're looking for him to fill that role, I'd look elsewhere. He's around a point per game without a great center so he should be able to provide something similar for another team.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Yep. And Chychrun. They make some strange moves IMO, though Yotes fans may see it differently.
He was a chyka love child. Chyka was going to do anything to get him and then signed him for more than he was worth.

Schmaltz is interesting. Can score goals but doesn’t carry the line. He’s a product of Keller. He is however pretty decent defensively. I’ve only noticed that this year, though and that could be from the way coach AT coaches.

I do t see the same numbers on a different team unless he’s playing with a true play maker. I’d be okay seeing him go. Armstrong has a vision on what he wants this team to be.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yep. And Chychrun. They make some strange moves IMO, though Yotes fans may see it differently.

Schmaltz is aging out and peaking in value. Chychrun wants to go to a playoff team. Coyotes need the draft/prospect capital.

Both have struggled to stay healthy.

Schmaltz' chemistry with Keller is obvious and trading him just to save cash might f*** up the room quite a bit and trigger further trade demands. That's the hesitation on AZ's end.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've been suggesting a Chychrun/Schmaltz package deal for like a year now. AZ has to view Schmaltz as a neutral (if not negative) asset with the money he's owed over the last 3 years of the deal - after his M-NTC kicks in. I'll be shocked if they don't deal him before 7/1. And if they're having trouble getting the return they want on Chychrun alone, packaging them at least helps their bottom line.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
He was a chyka love child. Chyka was going to do anything to get him and then signed him for more than he was worth.

Schmaltz is interesting. Can score goals but doesn’t carry the line. He’s a product of Keller. He is however pretty decent defensively. I’ve only noticed that this year, though and that could be from the way coach AT coaches.

I do t see the same numbers on a different team unless he’s playing with a true play maker. I’d be okay seeing him go. Armstrong has a vision on what he wants this team to be.
A cap floor team that’s perpetually rebuilding?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
A cap floor team that’s perpetually rebuilding?
At the risk of being accused of hating the Yotes or prognosticating their failure, this is sadly reminiscent of the death spiral of the Montreal Expos.

Anybody worth selling was sold to keep the ship afloat for cheap assets to be sold once they matured...for cheap assets to be sold once they matured...for cheap assets...

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
This is blatant tanking by a team and should NOT be allowed by the NHL. But we all know the NHL will never want to admit failure with Arizona...

How can a team trade away good mid 20s player with term like Schmaltz and Chychrun....they want to ice an AHL team in the NHL? Crouse has been mentioned of being available for an overpaymet too

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is blatant tanking by a team and should NOT be allowed by the NHL. But we all know the NHL will never want to admit failure with Arizona...

How can a team trade away good mid 20s player with term like Schmaltz and Chychrun....they want to ice an AHL team in the NHL? Crouse has been mentioned of being available for an overpaymet too
And if Vancouver dumps Boesser can Coyote fans say the same about Vancouver?

Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad