Rumor: Schmaltz trade talks heating up?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The Center bit just isn't true. He has had more than 500 faceoffs in a year twice in his career. And he has been legitimately terrible in those years averaging 40%.

I don't see the "fantastic metrics". He is one of the most sheltered players on Arizona. I love advanced stats and I just don't see the case for him.

Sheltered? In Arizona? Where they have precious few offensive players who can produce at 5-on-5? I don't see that. The faceoffs are a concern, but I'm sure that it can be worked on over here.

Reactions: BHD

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This would be the ideal candidate for the Penguins to target. If you can send Kapanen out and let Zucker walk, Schmalz would be a great top 6 wing replacement and could even play center in a pinch,.

I'd take Scmaltz on the Pens. He'd fill the Bonino spot on the third line.

I was suggesting Schmaltz to the Pens after last season when I thought Kapanen would be moved out and as a perfect candidate for a 2nd/3rd line RW spot.

Kapanen OR McGinn + protected 2023 1st (+ maybe something else small like a conditional 3rd/4th in '24 that could move up if the Pens win 1 or 2 rounds) is what I would offer Arizona.

Reactions: BHD

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Sheltered? In Arizona? Where they have precious few offensive players who can produce at 5-on-5? I don't see that. The faceoffs are a concern, but I'm sure that it can be worked on over here.
The graph was posted in Carolina's forum earlier. Schmaltz gets the best offensive deployment in Arizona.

I am not outright anti-Schmaltz. But he would be a "meh" addition. He is smallish and soft in high-traffic areas from what I have seen. Similar to Domi. Who has more points than Schmaltz this year because one of the issues with Schmaltz is that he can't stay healthy. A guy like Meier plays every game.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Coyotes should be hanging on to a guy like him, I don't get it

He’s a replaceable player type at the wing position in the longrun. Now is an appropriate time to cash out; he’s producing, has enough, but not too much term (clubs love that) and does not have any trade protection at the moment.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The graph was posted in Carolina's forum earlier. Schmaltz gets the best offensive deployment in Arizona.

Yeah boss, that's usually how first lines work.

Next you're gonna tell me McDavid gets the best offensive deployment in Edmonton.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Meier is one of the best power forwards in the league. Schmaltz is constantly injured. They are not comparable players at all.

One is already signed at a reasonable rate for 3 more years and would cost significantly less to acquire. He’s exactly the sort of player the Canes typically go after.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
One is already signed at a reasonable rate for 3 more years and would cost significantly less to acquire. He’s exactly the sort of player the Canes typically go after.

As a fan of a Metro division team in the playoff race, I hope yall acquire Schmaltz over Meier too.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why hang onto young players? Time to move on!!

He's 27, and has 3 years left. Is Arizona going to be competing for a cup in 2 years the way they're tearing down now? Probably not. Would they let him walk to UFA to compete for a year? Maybe, but bad asset management.

Would they want to re-sign a 30+ year old to his last big contract?

If they can get 1sts+ good prospects now, those prospects fit better into their rebuild and will be 21-24 or w/e when they're ready to compete. In their prime.

i mean, they're looking to trade Chychrun who is 2 years younger lol.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
That is an assumption, right? What is "significantly less to acquire"?

I would guess Arizona wants a 1st + a good prospect for Schmaltz. And SJ wants a 1st + a good prospect + another decent piece.

I don't think the 2nd round pick or the difference between a B+ and a B- prospect is that significant when Meier is so much better of a player.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Schmaltz is near a PPG, has fantastic metrics, was historically a center until this year, and would be the second guy in our lineup who can take right-handed faceoffs. He would very much a needle mover for Carolina. Carolina could also theoretically take on both of the Chychrun and Schmaltz contracts and still be under the cap, if a package deal is realistic.
No, he is inarguably and historically bad on faceoffs. Very bad.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No, he is inarguably and historically bad on faceoffs. Very bad.

Yeah, and he frequently bounced around between center and wing, before the more permanent move to wing. His overall play as a center was inconsistent.

He's not your guy if you are looking for stability and a boost at the center ice position.

I think he'll be viewed more as a Top6/9 complimentary scorer, I don't see him as having a ton of value in a trade but maybe I'm wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, and he frequently bounced around between center and wing, before the more permanent move to wing. His overall play as a center was inconsistent.

He's not your guy if you are looking for stability and a boost at the center ice position.

I think he'll be viewed more as a Top6/9 complimentary scorer, I don't see him as having a ton of value in a trade but maybe I'm wrong.
Agreed. He can add value as another RHS wing and decent PP contributor, but if he's viewed as a 2C, it's a non-starter.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Coyotes should be hanging on to a guy like him, I don't get it
agree with this. The last thing you want is a situation where your young stars are getting worked over every game by other teams best prime aged players. Need to keep around 5 or 6 good veterans in the top6 top4 to insulate guys or their developments can go off the rails

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad