Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 7 - II - Heartbreak at the Hub on Causeway - St. Louis Wins The Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
The last series vs the blues has left a bad taste in my mouth as far as the NHL is concerned

I agree the 5 on 5 production was not good for the B's, but if the refs would've done their jobs properly and were not swayed by Berube's crying after game 3, I think the Bruins would've had a much better chance of winning the Cup

What gets me is that the NHL says it's trying to cut down on head injuries and yet the blues were allowed to head-hunt Bruins at will, which had to be very frustrating for the B's ...'cause it frustrated the hell outta me.

National Hypocrisy League

Yup... let's protect the players from head injuries..... just not in the Stanley Cup Final .......

:huh:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It's been a couple of days and I still can't believe the Bruins allowed the Stanley Cup to slip through their fingers for the second time with this core. I know they were beaten down and battered from all the games they played, but it still doesn't take away the sting that they should have had this one. It's not like 2013 when they played an all time team that was an arguable borderline dynasty in the Blackhawks of the 2010s. The Blues were a beatable team and they allowed the game to get away from them in that first period. It was a fantastic season that made me really proud of this bunch which sadly came to a bittersweet, heart crushing end. I just hope that Sweeney can now make the necessary changes to re-energize this team and get them back to where they need to be. Hopefully he can add some size to this squad without sacrificing speed and make the team not so dependent on the goalie (be it Rask or Halak) always needing to stand on his head until they can't anymore.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

barstool

Nov 22, 2014
I have a sneaky suspicion next years playoffs will be called differently and the teams that are going to follow the St-louis,Washington model better have a real good penalty kill

member 96824

Yup... let's protect the players from head injuries..... just not in the Stanley Cup Final .......

:huh:

They suspended two players...that's never happened before in the history of the league.

Folks we border the Atlantic, not Lake Ontario.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The last series vs the blues has left a bad taste in my mouth as far as the NHL is concerned

I agree the 5 on 5 production was not good for the B's, but if the refs would've done their jobs properly and were not swayed by Berube's crying after game 3, I think the Bruins would've had a much better chance of winning the Cup

What gets me is that the NHL says it's trying to cut down on head injuries and yet the blues were allowed to head-hunt Bruins at will with little to no consequences, which had to be very frustrating for the B's ...'cause it frustrated the hell outta me.

National Hypocrisy League

The NHL wanted the Blues to win. Better story than Boston again.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They suspended two players...that's never happened before in the history of the league.

They did it because they almost had to- after all the noise they've made about concussions and hits to the head, they couldn't let too many go. One game. One game for both. That really sent a clear and decisive message on the issue. I am not putting on the tinfoil hat here about whether the "fix was in" but the league was piss poor about predatory hits up high and to the head the whole way through with the Blues. They did it with Dallas, with SJ, and with Boston. So they finally got a couple of slaps on the wrists after a playoff season full of that crap. Sorry, but I don't see the league taking it very seriously suspensions or no.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

I really don't think the case was *bias*. It was that NHL officials got a little bit hesitant to make a big call after VGK-SJS Game 7 (and that probably worked in the Bruins' favor in Game 6 in Columbus), which meant they were hesitant to call majors when they were clearly warranted (e.g., the Sundqvist hit on Grzelyck, the Schenn hit in Game 6). However, after the Bruins went 4-4 on the PP in Game 3, they were afraid to "decide the game" and simply became afraid to call a penalty, period. The players had no idea what the line was.

A little bit more consistent enforcement would go a long way. If it's a penalty, it's a penalty.

But I think head contact is going to be a *big* point of emphasis in the offseason. Much like a high stick, an automatic minor to any player if the principal point of contact on a hit is the head. The rule exists in college and U.S. junior hockey, and while it can be frustrating, it's done a lot to clean that stuff up out of the game.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

That's an indication of just how dirty the blues were and the DOPS had no choice but to suspend those two players for their dirty head shots after watching video, but the on ice officials gave the Bruins a whopping total of 2 minutes of PP time and the B's lost a good D-man.

... I don't border either one and was probably an avid Bruins fan before you were born

BINGO

member 96824

That's an indication of just how dirty the blues were and the DOPS had no choice but to suspend those two players for their dirty head shots after watching video, but the on ice officials gave the Bruins a whopping total of 2 minutes of PP time and the B's lost a good D-man.

Were the B’s not on the giving end of the exact same scenario earlier in the playoffs?

Blues played a physical game but jeesh when did this fan base get so soft? The Blues were not allowed to “head hunt at will”

.. I don't border either one and was probably an avid Bruins fan before you were born

Sick, that’s great for you, congrats. That doesn’t make the tin foil league conspiracy and whining about refs any less Toronto/Montrealesque though.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

... I don't border either one and was probably an avid Bruins fan before you were born

BINGO

If the Bruins put the puck in the net game 7 or win a few of those one goal games in the beginning of the series it's a different story. The bounces didnt go there way and as the series went on it favored the blues bc of their physical play

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Were the B’s not on the giving end of the exact same scenario earlier in the playoffs?

Blues played a physical game but jeesh when did this fan base get so soft? The Blues were not allowed to “head hunt at will”

Sick, that’s great for you, congrats. That doesn’t make the tin foil league conspiracy and whining about refs any less Toronto/Montrealesque though.
We're not complaining about physicality, we love when it's physical. What we don't like it's when they change the way to call the game to fit their needs.
Doesn't matter in which coast people come from.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

Suspening players after the fact makes it glaringly obvious that the calls were missed..... Twice!

That makes things worse doesn't it?

Doesn't it just further prove that the on ice officials did not do thier job correctly?

I really wonder why anyone would think otherwise....

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I take issue with this analysis. I have listed off at least a half dozen blatant checks to the head by the Blues - we all saw them. We all call for penalties when they happened. How many Illegal Check to the Head penalties were the Blues assessed? Exactly ZERO. So yeah, forgive us if we feel that the Blue got away with headhunting an awful lot. Pointing that out doesn't make a fan soft.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
If the Bruins put the puck in the net game 7 or win a few of those one goal games in the beginning of the series it's a different story. The bounces didnt go there way and as the series went on it favored the blues bc of their physical play
This is absolutely true. It's also absolutely true that the officials allowed the Blues to get away with blatant penalties. Both things are allowed to be true at the same time.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Had the Bruins won it would not have made it okay- there's physical play and then there's the borderline attempt to injure stuff that we saw that was not called. One thing you don't see often is agreement among fan-bases yet the Stars fans, Sharks fans, and us are concurring on this. It isn't just sour grapes. I was pissed that Sundquist got only 2 minutes for blatantly trying to knock Gryz out. The game before the dirty rat nailed Clifton from behind right into the boards after the play had moved on, nothing called. How about all the high hits on Chara's bubble after he came back? That isn't good old-fashioned physical hockey, that is just slimy.

member 96824

Suspening players after the fact makes it glaringly obvious that the calls were missed..... Twice!

That makes things worse doesn't it?

Doesn't it just further prove that the on ice officials did not do thier job correctly?

I really wonder why anyone would think otherwise....

Kerry Fraser cleared this up on McAvoy’s 2 minute minor 1 game suspension. Officials have two options only: 2 min minor or match because they believed there was complete intent. As we know, it’s much more gray than that and that unfortunately leaves DOPS to clean up.

I understand that’s less exciting than believing the NHL, a league that’s absolutely littered with incompetence, conspired against the Bruins down to the individual official level.

member 96824

I take issue with this analysis. I have listed off at least a half dozen blatant checks to the head by the Blues - we all saw them. We all call for penalties when they happened. How many Illegal Check to the Head penalties were the Blues assessed? Exactly ZERO. So yeah, forgive us if we feel that the Blue got away with headhunting an awful lot. Pointing that out doesn't make a fan soft.

Off the top, the Blues were assessed 120 minutes of punishment for checks to the head.

As Blues fans annoying pointed out throughout the series, they could also list many infractions each game that the Bruins got away with...just as each other losing team did against us in the previous serieses(series’? Seri?serieseses?)

That’s hockey. Read the Toronto thread I posted..ask yourself how it sounds..

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Off the top, the Blues were assessed 120 minutes of punishment for checks to the head.

As Blues fans annoying pointed out throughout the series, they could also list many infractions each game that the Bruins got away with...just as each other losing team did against us in the previous serieses(series’? Seri?serieseses?)

That’s hockey. Read the Toronto thread I posted..ask yourself how it sounds..
In game they were assessed ZERO. That's exactly the point.

I've also had this conversation with Blues fans on the main board. i point out they got away with some blatant head hits (close to a half dozen), a slewfoot, and holds where the Bruin was literally trying to tear himself away. They respond with "Well Chara broke Bozak's stick." and "but, Krug!" and usually stuff about Krug embellishing getting hit in the head by Sanford. Yeah, both team got away with stuff. But you're deluding yourself if you think the volume and magnitude of what each team got away with was close to on par.

BTW, I prefer serie'es. but I'm old school that way.;)

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Kerry Fraser cleared this up on McAvoy’s 2 minute minor 1 game suspension. Officials have two options only: 2 min minor or match because they believed there was complete intent. As we know, it’s much more gray than that and that unfortunately leaves DOPS to clean up.

I understand that’s less exciting than believing the NHL, a league that’s absolutely littered with incompetence, conspired against the Bruins down to the individual official level.
This misses the very important distinction that in neither case where the Blue got suspended, was a minor penalty for check to the head was called. Sundqvist's hit on Gryelcyz was a board, which definitely does have a provision of a major/game option - I just think after the Vegas debacle, they were far too afraid to call a major. Barbashev's hit on Johansson went unpenalized in game. That said, i don't think anyone conspired against the Bruins, I just think the refs shat the bed early and often, and not just in this series.

Reactions: Spooner st

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

NO, not the same as the blues.....the blues are a big, head-hunting, dirty team with many players playing with intent to injure (and I have no respect for them)

...the Bruins are not

Just because some of us don't agree with you, doesn't make us like laffs/habs fans :thumbd:

I didn't complain about the officiating in 2013 vs Chicago because they beat us fair and square, but this series against the blues was NOT fair and square

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This is absolutely true. It's also absolutely true that the officials allowed the Blues to get away with blatant penalties. Both things are allowed to be true at the same time.

ok so the blues got away with some blantent pentalites. I remember this board rooting and supporting the blues when they played San Jose. No need to run to bettman to change all the rules bc things didnt go our way when they faced boston.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
ok so the blues got away with some blantent pentalites. I remember this board rooting and supporting the blues when they played San Jose. No need to run to bettman to change all the rules bc things didnt go our way when they faced boston.
Nobody's asking Bettman to change any rules. We're simply commenting on how shitty a job the refs did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad