Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 7 - II - Heartbreak at the Hub on Causeway - St. Louis Wins The Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
GlitteringCalmGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

He punched a player in the back of the head during the Columbus series and McAvoy got suspended. Larry Robinson gave a very good take on the series on TSN a few min ago how the Bruins were worn down. We ran into a more physical team. What's he know ? Only was a part of 10 Stanley cups

Reactions: lopey

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Yup. Still a brutal excuse.

It is a devastating loss. Take it for what it is.

When we see that the NHL will be expanding video review specifically because of this series is not an excuse. It is pointing out a very real problem that the league is addressing reactively after the total debacle that took place in the series.

So the questions I am raising hold water.

NHL looks at expanding video review, Commissioner Bettman says

When the rules change because of the terrible way the series was officiated it is not an excuse. It is the truth.

Reactions: Spooner st

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Leafs fan coming in peace.

You guys had a great run and really exceeded expectations (IMO). Do you think this was one of the "easier" paths to a cup in recent memory?

Rd1: Leafs (guaranteed Bruins win.. lol)
Rd2: Columbus (I guess they were hot going in having swept TB but still just a wild card team)
CF: Carolina (just lol.. Another wild card)
Finals: Blues (last place team just 6 mths ago)

I guess I'm asking as I'm pretty pissed we (Leafs) got knocked out yet again and if only we found a way to win that game 7, we would've had a great chance to get to the finals and possibly win it all as well :(

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
When we see that the NHL will be expanding video review specifically because of this series is not an excuse. It is pointing out a very real problem that the league is addressing reactively after the total debacle that took place in the series.

When the rules change because of the terrible way the series was officiated it is not an excuse. It is the truth.

Seen this argument for years from habs fans who accused the Bruins of the same. Bottom line the Bruins need to make moves this offseason to better equip themselves to handle heavier teams. Bettman isnt going to do a thing to make life easier for Boston by calling more penalties

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Not trying to say you are not telling the truth, but can you point me to the source that cites this series as the reason for expanded video replay? I’d like to read that piece(s).

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

You guys had a great run and really exceeded expectations (IMO). Do you think this was one of the "easier" paths to a cup in recent memory?

Rd2: Columbus (I guess they were hot going in having swept TB but still just a wild card team)

I guess I'm asking as I'm pretty pissed we (Leafs) got knocked out yet again and if only we found a way to win that game 7, we would've had a great chance to get to the finals and possibly win it all as well :(

I honestly think the only “easy” team was Carolina. Columbus was a challenge, the Leafs were a challenge, and the Blues were pretty easily the best team in the league for 5 straight months.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Don’t worry, the Leafs would have shit themselves and lost to Columbus in round 2

Reactions: bruinsden

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Seen this argument for years from habs fans who accused the Bruins of the same. Bottom line the Bruins need to make moves this offseason to better equip themselves to handle heavier teams. Bettman isnt going to do a thing to make life easier for Boston by calling more penalties

Agreed, we need to make moves. But if you are trying to tell me that there were no blatant attempts to injure Bruins with headshots we are watching 2 different games. (BTW that 'Hab fan" jab hurt lol)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Coming in peace again! The best phrase on HFB. Your Leafs would have been demolished by the Blue Jackets.

Reactions: lopey and bruinsden

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Not trying to say you are not telling the truth, but can you point me to the source that cites this series as the reason for expanded video replay? I’d like to read that piece(s).

The article sights the Blues series with the Sharks so I am unable to offer that direct evidence. With 2 Blues being suspended using video review when the calls are not made on the ice, this final series is just more proof that video review is needed to ensure calls are made correctly. We all know if those calls came in the game, the outcome could have been different for those game and the entire series.

Intent to injure must always be called. It's not a guess on whether a guy is diving or not....

Get it right NHL.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The article sights the Blues series with the Sharks so I am unable to offer that direct evidence. With 2 Blues being suspended using video review when the calls are not made on the ice, this final series is just more proof that video review is needed to ensure calls are made correctly. We all know if those calls came in the game, the outcome could have been different for those game and the entire series.

Intent to injure must always be called. It's not a guess on whether a guy is diving or not....

Get it right NHL.

There were some big hits but I expect that coming into the finals. Bruins have the right to hit back. I didn't see anything that comes close to what I saw when players like Scott Stevens played. I don't think I even saw a fight these playoffs

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Coming in peace again! The best phrase on HFB. Your Leafs would have been demolished by the Blue Jackets.

Lol you know it!

Interesting... Most people think Blue Jackets would easily beat the leafs. Is that due to their physicality, defence, cycle game...or?

Leafs were 2-1 against them in regular season (I know, doesn't mean much).

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
There were some big hits but I expect that coming into the finals. Bruins have the right to hit back. I didn't see anything that comes close to what I saw when players like Scott Stevens played. I don't think I even saw a fight these playoffs

The hits Scott Stevens threw are now illegal. That's the difference. Just like the puck over the glass rule.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Don’t worry, the Leafs would have **** themselves and lost to Columbus in round 2
I disagree, pretty sure the league would open up the path for the Leafs to Cruze all the way to the cup.
Look at what they did after G2 against the Leafs .

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Lol you know it!

Interesting... Most people think Blue Jackets would easily beat the leafs. Is that due to their physicality, defence, cycle game...or?

They were a different team after the trade deadline and even better in the playoffs. Very physical, similar to the Blues is style of play. Ask yourself how the Leafs would have fared against the Blues and you have a good indication of how a series with CBJ would go. Its Tortarella, so a lot of your shots would get blocked and that would frustrate your young forwards. If Bob got confident and stole a game or two the series would be over.

Carolina was a high energy checking team, lots of man to man coverage. That could also have been trouble for Leaf forwards, IMO.

At the end of the day we really dont know how the Leafs would have fared. If you guys retool a bit this summer and add some size and depth you'll be better off next postseason. Some series and some games you need to gut out a win and I am not yet conviced the Leafs can do that yet. They will prove me wrong sooner or later, however.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Agreed, we need to make moves. But if you are trying to tell me that there were no blatant attempts to injure Bruins with headshots we are watching 2 different games. (BTW that 'Hab fan" jab hurt lol)
It's denial time. Fake tough guys.

member 96824

Get out

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Lol you know it!

If you want to talk about your team that didn't make it out of the first round hypothetically beating a team that ours beat en route to go to a Game 7 of the Finals only to lose in heartbreaking fashion....

Might I suggest you find a place other than the post-mortem thread for the aforementioned Game 7 loss to do so?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Officiating would have been in question regardless.

Yeap, and maybe if the 5 on 5 productions of the top 2 lines increased the Bruins would have won regardless of the officiating. Without the 5 on 5 increased production from the top 2 Bruins lines, the results are in. Great season, however, missing hockey already.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Yeap, and maybe if the 5 on 5 productions of the top 2 lines increased the Bruins would have won regardless of the officiating. Without the 5 on 5 increased production from the top 2 Bruins lines, the results are in. Great season, however, missing hockey already.

The last series vs the blues has left a bad taste in my mouth as far as the NHL is concerned

I agree the 5 on 5 production was not good for the B's, but if the refs would've done their jobs properly and were not swayed by Berube's crying after game 3, I think the Bruins would've had a much better chance of winning the Cup

What gets me is that the NHL says it's trying to cut down on head injuries and yet the blues were allowed to head-hunt Bruins at will with little to no consequences, which had to be very frustrating for the B's ...'cause it frustrated the hell outta me.

National Hypocrisy League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad