Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 4 - Back to Boston - Best of 3 - Series tied 2-2 - PART 2

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Including the playoffs, this season without Chara:
  • 12-7-2
  • Penalty Kill: 84.62% (Currently on a 17 for 17 streak without him)

*Granted, this doesn't take into account Grzelcyk and Miller also being out.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
anyone have video of the holding non call when pasta was breaking for a 2 on 1??

giphy.gif

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The dressing room is quiet. The rink is full of tension. Chara has been at the rink long before anyone else on the team. The doctors have met with him. Cassidy has given his thoughts. The Causeway giant has decided.

The team files into the dressing room. Players arrive slowly in small groups wondering what the results are. Chara stands alone, stoic in front of the logo he has grown to love.

His speech begins. The words he says are difficult to say not because his jaw is wired shut and each line causes pain but rather the duty he feels for his teammates, one in particular. Words that seem to be arriving too early for his liking or anticipation. Fate has a way of doing that.

The players see he is holding his jersey with pride. They know he wants to put it on with them and finish the war with his brothers. Only then do they realize it isn't his jersey. It's #37.

The only item that was from his jersey is now Bergeron's. No one speaks a word above his forced syllables. No one shares the moment with the press or media afterwards but the gravity of his words is met by the thousands at the garden on Thursday night as Chara waives the flag higher than it has ever been waived before.

Patrice Bergeron leads the Boston Bruins onto the ice as the roof explodes on Causeway with the C sewn proudly onto the front.

Game on.

Beautiful scene, but there's no way in hell something like that ever happens. Patrice would fracture the other part of Chara's jaw if Chara ever tried to give him the C without retiring. My impression is Patrice has way too much respect for Chara to EVER be captain while he's around.

They're functionally co-captains - I know I've heard Chara let that slip a couple of times. And there's no doubt that, if Chara plays x more years, then in year x+1, Patrice is captain. But there's not going to be a Bourque/Espo moment where Chara removes his jersey with a 37-C to reveal a 33-A jersey underneath.

But holy crap, the one -REALLY- cool doable idea would be for Chara to be banner captain. If he doesn't play Thursday, and if they don't have Brady already lined up...that's exactly what you do. We had Wags wave from the zamboni doors. We saw Pavelski do the same thing. Chara waving the flag would be check and mate, even before the game started.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
That's enough to warrant a call, he grabs him and doesn't allow him to get into the play, then tries to grab him again for good measure.

Zebra looks right at it and eats the whistle.

I'm all for refs letting the guys play, but you have to call the obvious ones. That and the Coyle one being two prime examples.

The stripes didn't want to tick off Berube after his cry-baby whining...it's almost as if they're scared of him

I'm all for letting them play too, but when you let only one team get away **** but penalize the B's because of Blues academy award winning acting it gets very frustrating ...and frankly pisses me off

The refs owe the Bruins much better officiating next game....at least TRY to be somewhat unbiased, call it both ways or not at all, and don't fall for Blues embellishment horse**** ...that's all I ask.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Beautiful scene, but there's no way in hell something like that ever happens. Patrice would fracture the other part of Chara's jaw if Chara ever tried to give him the C without retiring. My impression is Patrice has way too much respect for Chara to EVER be captain while he's around.

They're functionally co-captains - I know I've heard Chara let that slip a couple of times. And there's no doubt that, if Chara plays x more years, then in year x+1, Patrice is captain. But there's not going to be a Bourque/Espo moment where Chara removes his jersey with a 37-C to reveal a 33-A jersey underneath.

But holy crap, the one -REALLY- cool doable idea would be for Chara to be banner captain. If he doesn't play Thursday, and if they don't have Brady already lined up...that's exactly what you do. We had Wags wave from the zamboni doors. We saw Pavelski do the same thing. Chara waving the flag would be check and mate, even before the game started.
Would Chara go behind the bench ?

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
The optimistic me thinks they really come out flying and win by multiple goals .The pessimistic part of my biggest worry is them coming out and laying a wet fart ala Toronto game 5.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Would Chara go behind the bench ?

I'm guessing the only people allowed on or near the bench are the roster players, equipment mangers, the trainers, and the coaches/assistant coaches, so that's probably a nope. His "home" for the game (assuming he's injured and unable to play) will likely be on the 9th floor.

That said, I bet he'll zip down in the elevator and head to the locker room during intermission...I think. If that's allowed. I don't know how much "outside influence" is allowed, but maybe it's infinite? During games, coaches communicate with video staff off the ice to determine when to challenge for offside/goaltender interference, so I don't see how "Chara in the locker room" would be forbidden. MLB is the opposite, I think - I don't think you can have electronic devices in the dugout.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
That's enough to warrant a call, he grabs him and doesn't allow him to get into the play, then tries to grab him again for good measure.

Zebra looks right at it and eats the whistle.

I'm all for refs letting the guys play, but you have to call the obvious ones. That and the Coyle one being two prime examples.
I am never for "letting them play".
No matter what, they are going to play. When they the refs do call penalties they are doing their job and the play is clean.
When they do not do their job and they stand around with their whistles buried up their asses then get off the friggin' ice because exactly what the League is supposed to be cleaning up {stickwork, cluctching and grabbing} is not being done, players get frustrated and thats when the cheapshots start.

Reactions: Spooner st

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I am never for "letting them play".
No matter what, they are going to play. When they the refs do call penalties they are doing their job and the play is clean.
When they do not do their job and they stand around with their whistles buried up their asses then get off the friggin' ice because exactly what the League is supposed to be cleaning up {stickwork, cluctching and grabbing} is not being done, players get frustrated and thats when the cheapshots start.

Good points, but this is the NHL

I can't speak for anyone else but my version of "letting them play" is for the stripes NOT to call cheap, borderline, bull**** penalties on weak, embellished infractions like they did last game.

I'd rather they put their whistles away for BOTH teams instead of targeting only one team for bull**** penalties

...after what I saw from the Blues last game I hope the refs would at least be watching them closer for embellishment

Reactions: Spooner st

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
There is no doubt in my mind Chara is playing. If he was dead McAvoy and Carlo would prop him up like Weekend at Bernie’s.

And when he plays, everyone will see a storm so big not even the Blues could hit it.

If Z plays it will be full on Willis Reed type inspiration. If he can't go I fully expect them to go balls out and try and 'win it for him'. Losing Z certainly isn't a positive but can be twisted nearly into one by him, Butch and/or the core/leadership of this team. All season long they've gotten up off the mat, dusted themselves off and moved forward, no way in hell they just roll over now, two wins away from the Cup.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
What's our score for games after someone gets injured on playoffs? In game 3 we saw that we wanted to win for Grzelcyk. Imagine players wanting to win for Chara. I see the big 3 stepping up big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad