GDT: SCF Game 2: Montreal Canadiens vs Tampa Bay Lightning 8:00 PM EST CBC, SN, TVAS, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The issue is, there's very little offence coming from the back end because the big 4 are playing shut down the whole game. They need more time for the 3rd pair. Tampa is too deep. I just don't see how the current strategy will work against them.
We need more offence. We also need to disrupt their offence. Tampa's strength doesn't allow us to prioritize both simultaneously. If we score one goal tonight I'll agree we have no choice – put Romanov in to generate scoring chances, damn the risks.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I said before game 1 that if we were to win one of the first two, I would prefer the 2nd game like we did to the Knights. Momentum heading back home.

Tampa feels confident but I agree, they need to win this one or they are in a for a series where the Habs then own home ice. That little thought is on the back of their minds and the more we play them tough tonight, the seed of doubt creeps in more and more.

I'm going to try and enjoy the game with zero expectations. Better for my health :laugh:

We aren’t beating the Tampa Lightning 4 out of 5 games. We lose this, it’s over. The stakes have never been higher. At least in most fans life time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need more offence. We also need to disrupt their offence. Tampa's strength doesn't allow us to prioritize both simultaneously. If we score one goal tonight I'll agree we have no choice – put Romanov in to generate scoring chances, damn the risks.

We need to score 1st and not loose the bounces in the net. 2 bounces in our net vs 1 for them. If that happens, we got no chance.

I say we can score 3 but can't allow more than 2 goals. If we allow 3 goals, I have little faith we can score 4 on them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We aren’t beating the Tampa Lightning 4 out of 5 games. We lose this, it’s over. The stakes have never been higher. At least in most fans life time.

I feel the players will have have more energy and will show up. But I think we need a bit of luck along the way. This Tampa team is a bad match-up for us. They are big and skate well and loaded with skill. This typically has caused major issues for us.

Score the 1st goal and if we don't, we have to score the 2nd goal. Can't allow them to have a 2+ goal lead. Habs strength all playoffs is we scored 1st and frustrated teams with clutter. Our momentum has come from scoring 1st

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We've been feasting on magic and hope the past month. Tonight either grants us another fix, or we get prepared to settle the bill.
Magic and Hope...Horseshit. We've been playing with fire and as a team united. Need that to come back.

Tampa is a monster and we need to start chipping away at them.

Reactions: Trash Man

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I feel the players will have have more energy and will show up. But I think we need a bit of luck along the way. This Tampa team is a bad match-up for us. They are big and skate well and loaded with skill. This typically has caused major issues for us.

Score the 1st goal and if we don't, we have to score the 2nd goal. Can't allow them to have a 2+ goal lead. Habs strength all playoffs is we scored 1st and frustrated teams with clutter. Our momentum has come from scoring 1st

Tampa’s a bad matchup for anyone. Elite forward group, elite D, with an elite goalie. We have an average/below average team playing with heart in front of an elite goalie playing the best hockey of his career. It’a mismatch. But we have to win tonight to have a chance. Nothing more to say.

Reactions: iamtalbot

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Agreed. Game 3 is where we consider bigger adjustments like Romanov and Tatar being slotting back in the lineup. We really can't afford to get into a scoring battle with Tampa. They'll win almost every time. We need to limit them in the same way Long Island did.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Need Armia back tonight and we need to do a better job with line matchups.

Still think we should swap Lehk for Toffoli if the matchups stay as unfavorable as last time.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The first 3 goals last game were due to stupid turnovers around the neutral zone which was uncharacteristic of this team in the playoffs.

Expecting Caufield to bounce back after a rough game Monday and hoping the Armia/Staal/Perry line is back together.

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
LET'S GO!
giphy.gif

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
They were able to bounce back against Vegas and get the split last round...hopefully the same can happen here.

Figure Armia gets back in and time for Gustafsson to sit. If he can't play 5 on 5 then there is no point in dressing him.

Have to be smarter with the puck.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Staal is going to struggle again tonight as he is simply too slow.
Perry will also struggle.
Evans timing was off for sure but that can be expected. He would be much better in a game 2.

Not sure why Merrill and Gus are playing over Kulak and Romanov...real head scratcher there.

In other words...Habs will not win this series...as is

Reactions: iamtalbot

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Tampa is a heck of an opponent, everyone will have to up their game a few notches.
I think the Habs have given their all but now against a 100 million dollar team they simply won't win this series. I admire their efforts through 3 rounds...memorable stuff but if they win tonight I will be shocked.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Romanov doesn't generate anything though. He looks like he could, but I don't think he's going to produce much at this level. I'm thinking more of having whoever is on the 3rd pair to play more, giving a guy like Petry more free reign. If they can produce more on their PP opportunities and get a lead, that's great. Otherwise they're going to get smoked 5 on 5. The system worked against the other 3, but the small forwards and slow skaters were ineffective last game.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Romanov doesn't generate anything though. He looks like he could, but I don't think he's going to produce much at this level. I'm thinking more of having whoever is on the 3rd pair to play more, giving a guy like Petry more free reign. If they can produce more on their PP opportunities and get a lead, that's great. Otherwise they're going to get smoked 5 on 5. The system worked against the other 3, but the small forwards and slow skaters were ineffective last game.
He can be physical, skate and move the puck...that is what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad