Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 1 - B's take Game 1 - Chara is fine, just a flesh wound

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
GREAT game to watch. After the first three calls I think the officiating was pretty good other than the Krejci call. All lines looked good, but the first passed too much.

Jersey boy 75 was a stud. Defense looks good moving the puck.

What Sweeney has done to rebuild this defense from what it was when he got here is really amazing.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
SERIOUSLY???? After 11 days of everyone moaning about how the Bs were going to come out flat after the layoff. AND after the resiliency this team has shown this season?

Mind boggling. What have you done for me today!!!

Last edited:

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
I think once Thomas retired he was done with hockey. I don't think he has even done an interview since he retired.
That is a shame . Would love to know the whole story with him . I know he has an odd political alliance but he was one of my favourites from 2011 . Watching highlites of what he did to the Canucks makes me proud . I have no ill will to the guy but sure wish he’d at least pop his head up from the hole now and then .

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
It's funny and coincidental(on a personal level) that I watched the Kuraly leaping goal celebration like 15 times in a loop in a row during the pregame last night and he ended up with the game winnah:laugh:

Reactions: BMC

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
That is a shame . Would love to know the whole story with him . I know he has an odd political alliance but he was one of my favourites from 2011 . Watching highlites of what he did to the Canucks makes me proud . I have no ill will to the guy but sure wish he’d at least pop his head up from the hole now and then .
I could be wrong but it might have been his refusal to go to the WH, he caught a lot of flak over it from a lot of the press and local media.

Reactions: Strafer

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

The funniest story I ever heard about Timmy was from Andrew Ference. He said Claude called the entire leadership group into his office, once everyone got in, he told the group that he called Tim Thomas in to talk about his game but then Thomas called him a communist and he didn't know what to do now.

As I've said before and will again, goalies are weirdos.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I could be wrong but it might have been his refusal to go to the WH, he caught a lot of flak over it from a lot of the press and local media.
I was surprised that it got to him. My impression was that he got tired of being perennial top of the pack goalie at the end of a season and come back to the team every September and be a part of the trade and "who's the starter" rumor mill. Don't think any sane fans soured on him after the WH.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What Sweeney has done to rebuild this defense from what it was when he got here is really amazing.

I can't believe how set the Bruins are on defense. I was not sold on Clifton until recently but I can't deny it anymore, he's legit.

So on RD -- which is the hardest position to fill, you have McAvoy, Carlo, Clifton, Miller. You can trade Miller or rotate all four next year until you hit an injury but they're basically set forever. Kampfer is obviously gone.

On LD -- Chara, Krug, Moore, Gryz, Vaakanainen, Zboril, Lauzon. Chara is back for another year and you can use injuries to test and develop those three prospects. After that, you're in a tough spot if Chara isn't ready to quit. I believe they should keep him if he can maintain his current level of play. He's a defensive rock, the best captain in the NHL and like another coach for the young guys. You also have to decide whether or not to keep Krug and that's another tough call. In any case, there is no wrong answer.

Eventually Seattle comes and takes a player before the 2021-22 season. You just have to live with that, unfortunately.

But any way you slice it, this is the best situation for the Bruins defense in the cap era, if not longer.

Reactions: Strafer

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Eh, I didn't hear audio, but I read it more as, "Man, Krug was crazed." I mean, in the same way you'd say "What's Chara on?" when you see a few of his famous wide-eyed pictures.

In Dale's book, he made a reference to Timmy retreating "a bunker in Colorado". I'm sure there's some literary license there, but he hasn't really been part of the "alumni pack" you see around town. My guess is he probably feels he was treated badly in Boston, and doesn't have much interest in coming back.
Andrew Ference said he had moved to .... Montana* maybe? In a 31 Thoughts podcast interview in December where he said Timmy called Claude a Communist. :laugh:

*Or this could be me imposing a Frank Zappa song on the whole situation. ("I might be moving to Montana soon...")

ETA: Timmy stories around 17:00 mark

ETA2: It was Idaho, not Montana.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I can't believe how set the Bruins are on defense. I was not sold on Clifton until recently but I can't deny it anymore, he's legit.

So on RD -- which is the hardest position to fill, you have McAvoy, Carlo, Clifton, Miller. You can trade Miller or rotate all four next year until you hit an injury but they're basically set forever. Kampfer is obviously gone.

On LD -- Chara, Krug, Moore, Gryz, Vaakanainen, Zboril, Lauzon. Chara is back for another year and you can use injuries to test and develop those three prospects. After that, you're in a tough spot if Chara isn't ready to quit. I believe they should keep him if he can maintain his current level of play. He's a defensive rock, the best captain in the NHL and like another coach for the young guys. You also have to decide whether or not to keep Krug and that's another tough call. In any case, there is no wrong answer.

Eventually Seattle comes and takes a player before the 2021-22 season. You just have to live with that, unfortunately.

But any way you slice it, this is the best situation for the Bruins defense in the cap era, if not longer.
You keep krug. Period end of story.

Reactions: HumBucker

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
I was surprised that it got to him. My impression was that he got tired of being perennial top of the pack goalie at the end of a season and come back to the team every September and be a part of the trade and "who's the starter" rumor mill. Don't think any sane fans soured on him after the WH.
It could have been something else, I was just speculating on what I thought might have been his reasoning, I can't come up with any other reason as to why he stays away.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
It could have been something else, I was just speculating on what I thought might have been his reasoning, I can't come up with any other reason as to why he stays away.
Meh, I'm also just guessing.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Andrew Ference said he had moved to .... Montana* maybe? In a 31 Thoughts podcast interview in December where he said Timmy called Claude a Communist. :laugh:

*Or this could be me imposing a Frank Zappa song on the whole situation. ("I might be moving to Montana soon...")
Thomas will be forever a 2011 hero.
Bruins organization should do everything to bring him back to the garden. For the fans. No matter what his choices are. Weirdo or not. Thomas his one of the great 2011 memories.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Percent Game 1 Winner Has Taken the Cup

History is on the B's side

crop_exact_Bruins-Test.jpg

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I know the 3rd line didn’t score last night but they might have been the best line on the ice, minimized other teams opportunities and were buzzing. Really hope we can keep Johansson-Coyle-Heinen into next year as the 3rd line. Potential to be one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

Reactions: BMC and TCB

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Wherever he is, i hope Tim Thomas is doing well and he's enjoying the Cup run.

I think it would be cathartic for him to come back and wave the Bruins flag. I know the Bruins reached out to him about coming down last night with no response but they need to try again.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Eh, I didn't hear audio, but I read it more as, "Man, Krug was crazed." I mean, in the same way you'd say "What's Chara on?" when you see a few of his famous wide-eyed pictures.

In Dale's book, he made a reference to Timmy retreating "a bunker in Colorado". I'm sure there's some literary license there, but he hasn't really been part of the "alumni pack" you see around town. My guess is he probably feels he was treated badly in Boston, and doesn't have much interest in coming back.

He left Colorado because of altitude sickness. Where he is could be a fascinating 30 for 30: Finding Tim Thomas ( who's number was also 30 )

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska

I think it would be cathartic for him to come back and wave the Bruins flag. I know the Bruins reached out to him about coming down last night with no response but they need to try again.
I know I would love to see Timmy come back and support his old team, I think the fans in the Garden would go nts.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Where did you hear that they reached out to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad