Series Discussion SCF | ★★★ STARS ★★★ vs. lame sky flashes | TBL leads 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Another interesting thing from that, with Faksa out, Kiviranta is actually coming in and playing the same role on the PP he was down in Austin with Laxdal before the coach was promoted. I knew Kivi got PP time there, but I wasn't sure how they used him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Laxdal, which makes sense because he's running the units, was the one to pull the trigger on swtichiing Heiskanen and Klingberg on the PP. One bring reason why is he said it's easier for a right shot to pass on the one timer to a left shot and vice versa. He said teams were reading the Gurianov one-timer and getting a chance to block it because it takes extra time for Heiskanen to get that pass of as a left shot to another left shot. The idea is that it will make it easier for Seguin and Gurianov to get those shots off quicker.

Anatomy of a series-winner: How Stars' power-play adjustments eliminated Vegas

Almost like we should’ve tried this months ago. Hmm...

Reactions: Magic Mittens

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The illustrations he used were great too ... it basically makes both a pass or shot just as easy. On Kivi's goal, Klinger shoots, and on Guri's goal, he goes with the pass. It makes them more unpredictable.

You're right it does seem like something they might have tried sooner. Maybe they were concerned about Klinger? He's a rookie coach and maybe he was hesitant to replace the vet with the rookie. Logically, you can see both units are essentially equal. Still, maybe there was a concern there.

If that is the case, that's not a great reason. Maybe it was something else.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's the still before Gurianov's goal where Klinger is faking the shot which gives Gurianov that extra time.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11.42.01-AM-1024x543.png

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I was wondering about Pavelski too and I kind of wondered if Klingberg’s shot could be why he isn’t in front of the net as opposed to Benn.

Klingberg’s shot is more of that high seeing-eye shot that’s meant to score on its own, not as a tip or rebound. Benn is obviously a much better screen for that.

I still think it’s flawed and inefficient - I’d hope it would be adjusted with Heiskanen shooting more like Burns or Karlsson would. But it was a thought I had that made some sense as to what is a very odd choice in Pavs’ usage.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It could be interesting to see if the benefits of the switch yield great results in the next round. Maybe it has an impact on Seguin as well.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Here's the still before Gurianov's goal where Klinger is faking the shot which gives Gurianov that extra time.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11.42.01-AM-1024x543.png
On the replay you can also see where Gurianov knows he has space and calls or lets Klinger know. May not seem like much but like the swap between Miro and Klinger.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Do we think they will keep that same PP unti combo? Heiskanen with Benns unit, Klingberg in the 2nd unit?

Im sure if there is struggles they might revert and flip flop.

But will be interesting to see if they keep what was a great change..or revert ti the familiarity of Klingberg with the top unit and Heiskanen on the 2nd unit

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If we're guaranteed a B2B which seems to be the case ... let's get this ECF to 7 games. I'm not sure that the NHL keeps the B2B on Monday/Tuesday for Game 1 and 2 ... maybe they adjust and play Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It seems like the only thing that matters ... or the thing that matters most is Saturday hockey for NBC.

If the series starts Monday, I haven't seen a projected schedule yet, but I'll guess:

Monday - Wednesday - Thursday - Saturday - Monday - Wednesday - Friday

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Tommy G Headed to Edmonton:

"Gaglardi will be in Edmonton’s Rogers Place for the Stanley Cup Final, but is weighing whether to enter the NHL’s bubble and be in close contact with the team, or simply be allowed in the arena away from players and staff."

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Is there any chance that this series could start before the East finishes their round? I remember there was talk of that happening in the second round after the Stars eliminated the Flames and the East's series hadn't wrapped up yet.

Reactions: Johno

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is there any chance that this series could start before the East finishes their round? I remember there was talk of that happening in the second round after the Stars eliminated the Flames and the East's series hadn't wrapped up yet.

How are the stanley cup finals going to start without the winner of East series exactly that determines our opponent ? :huh:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I think we should start the series today.
Just throw a 3rd net out there and a 2nd puck and only goals scored against us by whoever wins between the 2 east teams count. And while they're fighting it out we'll run down and score on 5 on 0s
I mean advantage us but that's what happens when you close out the series early :sarcasm:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

what lol

Reactions: Magic Mittens

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Let's end it today then. It's not that TB is the team you want to play. I just don't want a B2B. My guess is there will not be a 2 day break instead of B2B ... Saturday is too important to NBC.

Something like starting this Saturday followed by only 2 games during the week so Game 4 is the following Saturday. Series raps up if needed with 5, 6, and 7 on M, W, F.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think we should start the series today.
Just throw a 3rd net out there and a 2nd puck and only goals scored against us by whoever wins between the 2 east teams count. And while they're fighting it out we'll run down and score on 5 on 0s
I mean advantage us but that's what happens when you close out the series early :sarcasm:

To make it more fair, our 5 man unit has to be:

Cogliano-Janmark-Comeau
Hanley-Sekera

If they don't score on the empty net with an odd man rush, it's an automatic goal against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce