Series Discussion SCF | ★★★ STARS ★★★ vs. lame sky flashes | TBL leads 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprafastcelica

Oct 30, 2006
So looking at the match up with Tampa. We played 2 games. Dallas won both in OT with goals by Benn and Seguin. Kuch had 2 assists on 2 Stamkos goals just in one game, he had 3 assists total. Point had no points. Hedman had an assist each game. Each team had a come from behind OT win. Dallas had better face-offs both games. Bish played one, Dobby the other. Both of these game were under Bones as HC.

Just like every other series, we are the underdog. We can take them. We have before and can do it again.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can't tell for sure, but I think the 3rd guy is Rads. Little Russian group hug for the Effing Russian Machine.

Eh-s5e2WoAUjniV

Reactions: Kipper 17

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm definitely fond of some of the nicknames coming out of these playoffs.

Joel Effing Kiviranta thanks to the Finnish play by play.

The Effing Russian Machine ... Sekera in rewarding the chain to Anton for the series win. I'm assuming the team had already been calling him that, and we just heard it because of the chain ceremony video.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
he tweeted shortly after the Stars game tweeting to congratulate Tony Granato (whoever that is).

zero mention of the Stars. Have to think it was done purposely
Do you really not know who Tony Granato is?

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Do you really not know who Tony Granato is?

Had to google the name to refresh my memory. Is there a reason I should know of him? Doesn't have crazy numbers as player and didn't stick around as a HC in the show for long.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but only 5 rookies in NHL history have scored more goals than Gurianov in a single postseason. Based on how the Finals go and if he has a big series, he could potentially finish with the 3rd highest total of all time. Important to note he didn't even score in the round robin. Somehow none of the goals came on a breakaway either or because of his speed. Of course most of them came against Calgary but still very impressive either way

17 points in 21 games ain't too bad either. Can't believe he is 1 assist away from matching his regular season total lol. Not the smartest player or best playmaker obviously but hes been crucial for our success. Also I believe he has 3 game winning goals this postseason

Not all, but I would say the majority of his assists have been off his one-timer on the PP. In the round robin, that one time wasn't dialed in. It's interesting that around the time Bowness mentioned he was playing nervous is also the time he started calming down and the shot was hitting the net again. If the puck is on net, there's a good chance it can at minimum can create a dangerous rebound. Faksa cleaned some up.

I don't think he'll ever get a ton of assists because he's not much of a playmaker, and he's not great on the cycle in the offensive zone. It'll be interesting to see if it's something he can improve. As far as the defensive zone goes, he's made a handful of decent plays, but I do think he struggles on clears when he's along the boards. That's my greatest concern about skipping a bridge with Gurianov. Before a big commitment, you really want to see how he continues to develop.

I'm not saying this will be him for sure, but the league does have a history of guys who score early in their career and falter later. Because he's not a complete player yet, it is probably to best to air on the side of caution.

I'm so happy for him though. The other record I saw mentioned was no NHL rookie has ever scored more points in elimination games in a single playoff. He seems like a hard worker based on the stories about him working through the AHL, scratches, call ups, and demotions. He's not perfect, but it's hard not to love the guy and hope for the best.

Reactions: Kcb12345

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Our best chance to beat Tampa involves Faksa playing. So hoping the islanders can win tonight to give us the min 4 day break to give him a chance.

I think the rest is required too. Getting great results from courageous efforts but i think we were starting to slow a bit and some players will benefit from a few days off. There was big chunks of the Vegas series that we were being outskated, being bailed out by dobby and then leaning on late game pushes.

I know their is a risk Stamkos comes back but so be it.

We need Faksa to go against point on that checkling line.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hey, I wasn't in the GDT thread much so I might have missed the discussion, but when did Heiskanen take over on the top PP unit?

I first noticed it on the last PP in regulation when Kiviranta scored. They came out with Heiskanen on the top unit in OT as well. Did it happen before that? Do you think that's a permanent change?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Had to google the name to refresh my memory. Is there a reason I should know of him? Doesn't have crazy numbers as player and didn't stick around as a HC in the show for long.
He's worth remembering as a name to toss out as one of the guys who made a nice living thanks to Gretzky.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He's worth remembering as a name to toss out as one of the guys who made a nice living thanks to Gretzky.

Unfortunately I was still a little too young during those days which further explains why his name didn't ring a bell

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hey, I wasn't in the GDT thread much so I might have missed the discussion, but when did Heiskanen take over on the top PP unit?

I first noticed it on the last PP in regulation when Kiviranta scored. They came out with Heiskanen on the top unit in OT as well. Did it happen before that? Do you think that's a permanent change?

The first two powerplays looked like complete dogshit and never managed to get set up at all. For the powerplay in third period they switched Miro and Klinger and stuck with it in OT . And yes it worked.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

They first swapped him and Klingberg for the PP where Kiviranta scored I believe. Definitely permanent for now I'd say cause it worked out both times

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Reactions: MiroPRKL

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I noticed at the end of the game when the injured players and black aces came to the bench for the celebration Faksa had a black brace on his wrist, but was clapping normally

Hoping hes healing well enough and might be good to go in 3 or 4 days

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Ideally the Islanders come back and win, but that's just so unlikely to happen.

I think the ECF going to 6 games is ideal. Enough time to heal but not enough to get cold. 4-5 days should be good for this team.

At the same time, I think just about everyone is ready to move on and get the playoffs over with ASAP.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I saw Lebrun mention that back to back in the finals was a possibility . I sincerely hope thats not going to happen. I know NBC has the rights and all and will try to avoid other sports where its possible but still . Back to backs in the finals would really suck . It was bad enough in round 1&2

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shapiro picked Calgary, Colorado, and Vegas to win those series. I think he even had Calgary in 5. Colorado was 5 or 6. I think Vegas was 6. Not positive on the games though.

Reactions: Johno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad