OT: Scandy's Rave Party: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I mean... it's tragic for all 5 lives lost in a way it didn't have to be. Any news on what caused the helicopter to go down?

I am not one to really know anything but air travel, but I always thought helicopters were the most unsafe of the bunch...? I honestly do not know.

Helicopters also have a lot more moving parts than airplanes—and therefore a lot more things that could potentially malfunction. A helicopter has a main rotor, a tail rotor, a gearbox, and a drive shaft running the length of the aircraft. If any one of those things breaks down, the copter can spin out of control. The fact that these parts are in constant motion also means that the parts wear out more quickly.

They also said it was very foggy so weather could have played a factor. Very tragic a lot of us grew up watching Kobe. As a father it makes it even more sad knowing that little girl probably thought her dad would always protect her.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
RIP to Kobe, i'll play CSGO and get a grenade kill in honor of him (you type KOBE after it or shout it in the headset when you get a grenade kill, an unwritten rule of CS). Not a basketball fan (I am a 1 dimentional sports fan...just hockey) but everyone knows who Kobe is.

Reactions: USMC607

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
RIP to Kobe, i'll play CSGO and get a grenade kill in honor of him. Not a basketball fan (I am a 1 dimentional sports fan...just hockey) but everyone knows who Kobe is.
Yeah, most of the public pretty much knows whos who when it comes to big name recognition. In the big 5 sports at least.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Btw - The Gentlemen, it's a very Guy Ritchie movie, as a brit, loved it. Reminded me of the Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels level of fun with a bitch of Snatch type twists thrown in for good measure.

Hugh Grant steals the show for the most part, absolutely hilarious that one.

Also - The world never ever needed a horrible movie like Anaconda, nor does it need a "reboot" of that shitty movie.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
RIP to Kobe, i'll play CSGO and get a grenade kill in honor of him (you type KOBE after it or shout it in the headset when you get a grenade kill, an unwritten rule of CS). Not a basketball fan (I am a 1 dimentional sports fan...just hockey) but everyone knows who Kobe is.
I have a good mate that is a huge basketball fan, I was never one to get into it, but yeah that is an unwritten rule. Same for when you do it in Halo.

Reactions: 66-30-33

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
RIP to Kobe. I liked him as a player, not as much as many others did...but he seemed to be setting up for a truly impressive second act in business/philanthropy/the arts. Horrible to lose him, his daughter and the other people involved that way.

I'm in no hurry to ever get in a helicopter and this just confirmed it for me. The fog definitely played a role but yeah...no interest in getting in one of those things. Crazy that there are so many people eager to do helicopter-sightseeing - though probably A LOT fewer today.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
While it is tragic that 9 people lost their lives, I do have this weird thing about Celebrity deaths and how people treat them. There's a larger out pouring for these deaths because its Kobe Bryant, than there is for the Hong Kong victims, the Australian fires (outside of some woman exploiting it for more camgirl subscribers) etc.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
While it is tragic that 9 people lost their lives, I do have this weird thing about Celebrity deaths and how people treat them. There's a larger out pouring for these deaths because its Kobe Bryant, than there is for the Hong Kong victims, the Australian fires (outside of some woman exploiting it for more camgirl subscribers) etc.

It bugs me, too, man. 9 equal lives. I alwyas say this. We treat death differently for people we don't even know. It is beyond me. I cannot wrap my head around it. 9 equal tragic deaths. It shouldn't have happened.

I hate the headlines in all caps "CONFIRMED DEATH OF KOBE (and 8 others) "

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Btw - The Gentlemen, it's a very Guy Ritchie movie, as a brit, loved it. Reminded me of the Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels level of fun with a ***** of Snatch type twists thrown in for good measure.

Hugh Grant steals the show for the most part, absolutely hilarious that one.

Also - The world never ever needed a horrible movie like Anaconda, nor does it need a "reboot" of that ****ty movie.

I love guy richie movies. Not on the same level as tarentino on top of his game, but GR movies are very freaking enjoyable. I wish he / they / whatever would do the follow up to Rock N Rolla already.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It bugs me, too, man. 9 equal lives. I alwyas say this. We treat death differently for people we don't even know. It is beyond me. I cannot wrap my head around it. 9 equal tragic deaths. It shouldn't have happened.

Yeah imagine the families of the other people, they were important to so many other people and should be treated as such.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love guy richie movies. Not on the same level as tarentino on top of his game, but GR movies are very freaking enjoyable. I wish he / they / whatever would do the follow up to Rock N Rolla already.
I would say GR is as good as QT with dialogue, but when it comes to the whole work when you step back, QT has him beat by a slight edge at this point.

No one quite does dialogue the way Tarantino does, but to me, no one does the perfect blend of narrating a story and also providing a damn good story all wrapped up in one with good humor like Ritchie.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah imagine the families of the other people, they were important to so many other people and should be treated as such.

Yeah, one was the wife of some california band, 3 were an entire family, a basketball coach at the facility his wife and his daughter. Donno about the rest.
They should not have been out in that weather. LAPD air support was grounded so wtf were these people doing up there? Very poor judgement on someones part.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, one was the wife of some california band, 3 were an entire family, a basketball coach at the facility his wife and his daughter. Donno about the rest.
They should not have been out in that weather. LAPD air support was grounded so wtf were these people doing up there? Very poor judgement on someones part.

Yeah if that was the case, how does something like that even get cleared to be out there?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I would say GR is as good as QT with dialogue, but when it comes to the whole work when you step back, QT has him beat by a slight edge at this point.

No one quite does dialogue the way Tarantino does, but to me, no one does the perfect blend of narrating a story and also providing a damn good story all wrapped up in one with good humor like Ritchie.
for sure. they both differ in movie styles, but your pretty spot on.
yeah qt's banter is bar none and gr's story blending is top notch. Both do character development pretty well.
I enjoy them both - just different types of enjoyment. Both you have to pay attention to the dialog as they are both very dialog dependent.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
for sure. they both differ in movie styles, but your pretty spot on.
yeah qt's banter is bar none and gr's story blending is top notch. Both do character development pretty well.
I enjoy them both - just different types of enjoyment. Both you have to pay attention to the dialog as they are both very dialog dependent.
I'm a bit of a git, I prefer Ritchie sometimes, it just feels like home to me when I see how british he gets with his movies and the stylized way he shoots it.

But I also am a huge Quentin Tarantino fan, so for me, both are at the top of the list with Nolan, as the greatest directors out there right now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Snatch and Lock Stock are as good as anything Tarantino has done, but GR hasn't maintained that level as well as Tarantino has.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah if that was the case, how does something like that even get cleared to be out there?

This is a very informative article about all the info:
NBA star Kobe Bryant and daughter killed in helicopter crash | Daily Mail Online

I don't know. You have to think maybe his celebrity may be a part of it... or at least you hope not. Someone didn't want to tell Kobe and his party no, but also that would be very unprofessional and have to figure it was something else that let them go.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Snatch and Lock Stock are as good as anything Tarantino has done, but GR hasn't maintained that level as well as Tarantino has.
People will say Hateful Eight wasn't that great and I agree, it built up a lot of tension and some good dialogue, but overall the movie for me, failed to meet the buildup.

Ritchie has had one big stinker - King Arthur, but outside of that he's been able to go into different genres and just do exceptionally well.

Sherlock Holmes - A lot of people were worried he'd turn it into some LS&SB type of flick, he had his usual stylized shooting, but he was highly successful with that outside of his usual pub-fare gangster flicks. And we mustn't speak of Swept Away, that is an awful awful film.

So out of his entire list of movies - Swept Away & King Arthur weren't great, but that's like 2 out of 10 movies, 80% hit rate imo. I don't like Aladdin btw, but apparently a lot did.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I mean you aren't wrong in theory, but it's just not reasonable to expect national news stories about every person who dies. The majority of the world knows who Kobe Bryant is. It might sound cold, but people nobody has ever heard of dying just isn't national news. It doesn't make their death any less sad to the people who know them, but it is what it is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is a very informative article about all the info:
NBA star Kobe Bryant and daughter killed in helicopter crash | Daily Mail Online

I don't know. You have to think maybe his celebrity may be a part of it... or at least you hope not. Someone didn't want to tell Kobe and his party no, but also that would be very unprofessional and have to figure it was something else that let them go.

No I would 100% buy that as the reason they were up in the first place. Aaliyah wasn't even supposed to be in the air after some video she shot, but because she wanted to be back at home in a smaller airplane with the same amount of people and equipment, her plane crashed because it was way over capacity. Most of these celebrity crash deaths end that way, someone pushed to get going when they shouldn't have and the end result is the same. Aaliyah would have been alive, same for all of the other people on her plane if they had stayed the night and flew on the scheduled day they were supposed to, because she wanted to get home sooner, they jammed a smaller plane full of their stuff and well, yeah.

It's sad to think about.

Reactions: Ogrezilla and LOGiK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean you aren't wrong in theory, but it's just not reasonable to expect national news stories about every person who dies. The majority of the world knows who Kobe Bryant is. It might sound cold, but people nobody has ever heard of dying just isn't national news. It doesn't make their death any less sad to the people who know them, but it is what it is.
It's more or less being respectful to the rest of the families, like now I know one is a coach because he was a basketball coach, but the rest of those families, they should do a better job of reporting it as such, out of respect to the rest of those families that are suffering as well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
People will say Hateful Eight wasn't that great and I agree, it built up a lot of tension and some good dialogue, but overall the movie for me, failed to meet the buildup.
Yeah I loved Hateful Eight until the last chunk. The build up was great but the payoff wasn't there. Overall I still like the movie, but it could have been better.
Ritchie has had one big stinker - King Arthur, but outside of that he's been able to go into different genres and just do exceptionally well.

Sherlock Holmes - A lot of people were worried he'd turn it into some LS&SB type of flick, he had his usual stylized shooting, but he was highly successful with that outside of his usual pub-fare gangster flicks. And we mustn't speak of Swept Away, that is an awful awful film.

So out of his entire list of movies - Swept Away & King Arthur weren't great, but that's like 2 out of 10 movies, 80% hit rate imo. I don't like Aladdin btw, but apparently a lot did.
Yeah I'm not saying GR's other movies were bad. Just that they aren't as great as Lock Stock and Snatch. I'd say Tarantino has more movies that I'd call great.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's more or less being respectful to the rest of the families, like now I know one is a coach because he was a basketball coach, but the rest of those families, they should do a better job of reporting it as such, out of respect to the rest of those families that are suffering as well.
I'd think they probably are locally. But again, as harsh as it sounds, it's really not national news outside of Kobe and his daughter. Though making it a bit clearer that it did involve other people would probably be good, even if they don't give the others much attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad