OT: Scandy's Rave Party: The Fun Never Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's a complaint I can't argue with. Anybody who doesn't want to go all in is just getting an inferior experience if they try to dabble. I'm curious how they handle all the new series in that respect.

I'm going to watch them all so I love it. I also hope nobody else does a big shared universe that I care to watch because I can't do two of these. Please DCU stick to more one offs. Let marvel make these things, you keep making different stuff like Joker.

Did you guys not read comics?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's a complaint I can't argue with. Anybody who doesn't want to go all in is just getting an inferior experience if they try to dabble. I'm curious how they handle all the new series in that respect.

I'm going to watch them all so I love it. I also hope nobody else does a big shared universe that I care to watch because I can't do two of these. Please DCU stick to more one offs. Let marvel make these things, you keep making different stuff like Joker.
The shared universe has had a lot of warts that Marvel walks back in interviews and after movie explanations, to try and make these shows and then have the main actors still be apart of the larger MCU is just...so convoluted. Like you watch and you're like wait, vision is back? OH let me go waste 10hrs on episodes so I know how that happened...what Bucky who has the super soldier serum is still useless? Let me go watch 10hrs of that show too.

One offs are fine, a shared universe is fine for big movies, but when every single movie is tied into things and then shows, that's just too much. Even the biggest fans that have a life, will be like...yeah bud, no. I might attempt it if the hype is real, but the hype for me has mostly hit or fallen flat.

But yeah, just far too many shows just to stay in touch with the movies. Netflix did the shared stuff well with the shows, you have a few tie ins with characters, then when you do something like Defenders, you weren't clueless as to what was going on between the major characters, but that is at tv show level (and likely not the best quality).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The shared universe has had a lot of warts that Marvel walks back in interviews and after movie explanations, to try and make these shows and then have the main actors still be apart of the larger MCU is just...so convoluted. Like you watch and you're like wait, vision is back? OH let me go waste 10hrs on episodes so I know how that happened...what Bucky who has the super soldier serum is still useless? Let me go watch 10hrs of that show too.

One offs are fine, a shared universe is fine for big movies, but when every single movie is tied into things and then shows, that's just too much. Even the biggest fans that have a life, will be like...yeah bud, no. I might attempt it if the hype is real, but the hype for me has mostly hit or fallen flat.

But yeah, just far too many shows just to stay in touch with the movies. Netflix did the shared stuff well with the shows, you have a few tie ins with characters, then when you do something like Defenders, you weren't clueless as to what was going on between the major characters, but that is at tv show level (and likely not the best quality).
I mean, I haven't watched anything because I felt like I had to. I watch them all because I want to. And I want to watch all of the shows they've announced so far because I'm interested in the show, not just the shared universe. I get why others wouldn't be, but I am. Also, Wandavision is easily the series I'm most excited for. I think they're finally going to let Wanda get weird.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, I haven't watched anything because I felt like I had to. I watch them all because I want to. And I want to watch all of the shows they've announced so far because I'm interested in the show, not just the shared universe. I get why others wouldn't be, but I am. Also, Wandavision is easily the series I'm most excited for. I think they're finally going to let Wanda get weird.
Ogre, listen, I'd love to reply to this, but first you need to read all 44,751 of my posts here.

Tag me when you're done. So we can continue.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ogre, listen, I'd love to reply to this, but first you need to read all 44,751 of my posts here.

Except in the fair comparison I would have started reading them in 2012. Sure I watch a lot of Marvel stuff, but I have watched far more non-Marvel TV and movies in the same time since the MCU started. Sure, it will ramp up with the series now. But it's not like 3 movies and 20-30 episodes of TV is some astronomical amount to keep up with per year compared to what plenty of people are already watching. Hell, I'll still spend significantly more time watching the Penguins every year than I will watching Marvel stuff. Hell, I've probably spent more time on here talking about the Penguins than I have watching Marvel stuff :laugh:

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Except in the fair comparison I would have started reading them in 2012. Sure I watch a lot of Marvel stuff, but I have watched far more non-Marvel TV and movies in the same time since the MCU started. Sure, it will ramp up with the series now. But it's not like 3 movies and 20-30 episodes of TV is some astronomical amount to keep up with per year compared to what plenty of people are already watching. Hell, I'll still spend significantly more time watching the Penguins every year than I will watching Marvel stuff. Hell, I've probably spent more time on here talking about the Penguins than I have watching Marvel stuff :laugh:
You might be in luck, 6 episodes per season I think.

I honestly don't hate the idea of the shows, I think more big network/studios should do it to retcon their story, like that weird city on wheels movie that was out last year (?) that likely needed a companion show that would have helped it a ton and could have been a cool thing to do to explain the story and drum up a bigger fan base than the books. Like a mini-series on Netflix for a 3 episode story, then the movie, then revisit the mini-series to expand into a show if it did well.

Instead, anyone that didn't read the books had no clue what the hell it was and it tanked, tanked hard.

Edit: Mortal Engines, by Peter Jackson.

Back to the Marvel shows though, I honestly have zero interest in Winter Soldier and the Falcon and especially Wanda and Vision, the other thing...even less so. I just think they picked 3 stories that were whack. I would have rather seen a show about the Winter Soldier in the time he was a Russian spy/hitman - THAT would have been a f***ing fantastic show.

Instead, a weird couples show about a lady with powers and her giant robotic dildo, a dude that flies with cap's shield with no powers and a guy that has the same powers as cap but they used him insanely poorly in the franchise so far and then Hawkeye that might actually get written out of the show, lol.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Oh man.
Yesterday for dinner I had a spicy chicken combo from Dave Thomas and I think I got a loogy topping.
I had -almost immediately after consumption- very potent poops that lasted for roughly a whole day.
I asked them to hold the mayo, but I should have asked them to hold the loogey's.
f***ERS

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Instead, a weird couples show about a lady with powers and her giant robotic *****, a dude that flies with cap's shield with no powers and a guy that has the same powers as cap but they used him insanely poorly in the franchise so far and then Hawkeye that might actually get written out of the show, lol.
we just disagree about the characters. I like all of the characters in those shows, and all three of those premises seem fine at minimum. Spy/Special Forces but only minimal "super" with Falcon and WS, retiring hero training the next generation, and I'm not even gonna reword it, a weird couples show about a lady with powers and her giant robotic *****. I don't know how you can type that last one out without sparking some interest :laugh: You're going to have this weird reality bending witch and weird -- and now Mind Stone-less so hopefully even less human-- robot making some fake family and acting like they aren't a freakshow and it sounds great.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Dude, I am worse than that, I am a marketer.
soundest-email-marketing-11.jpg

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Speaking of reading....

Wasn't it you who posted in the book thread about Lies of Locke Lamora? It stuck in my craw because I freaking LOVE that book so, with that expectation appropriately set, I'd be interested in your thoughts?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
For whomever watches the show:

What are your favorite top 3 episodes of MST3K?

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
For whomever watches the show:

What are your favorite top 3 episodes of MST3K?

That's like asking me to pick my favorite child, I can't stop at 3 but a stream of conciousness listing of some top episodes:

Space Mutiny, Mitchell, Time Chasers, Prince of Space, The Final Sacrifice, Boggy Creek II

Manos is the most well known and probably a bit overrated, but it's still hilarious.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Speaking of reading....

Wasn't it you who posted in the book thread about Lies of Locke Lamora? It stuck in my craw because I freaking LOVE that book so, with that expectation appropriately set, I'd be interested in your thoughts?
I loved the book. I haven't had a chance to read book 2 yet but it was funny and it had my attention all the way through. Usually these fantasy types for dudes end up being kind of boring at some points but I thought it did a good job of keeping me interested all the way through. I won't spoil it for anyone but they should definitely read it if they like LOTR and GOT type stuff. With thievery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad