Jan 30, 2012
@Honour Over Glory

your a night hawk hog.
giphy.gif

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
  • This will 100% bother Ogre and I await a response, to which I will say, I am happy you like it, but I am not impressed with the UI and the catalog so far but I do love to be able to see Gargoyles and the Home Alone movies during the holidays. So there's that. I also eagerly await being 100% wrong about Mandalorian, I want them to make me wrong. Because the movies with JJ and Rhian are just pure ****. JJ is going to pander so hard in the next one which will make the previous two an even bigger mess...just yeah, end of that will be the best and it kills me to say this, but Feige, even with his continuity and continuous "explain loopholes to death after movies are out" stuff, will probably do a better job with Star Wars than JJ has.
The UI sucks. You can't add something to your watchlist without clicking in to it. Ugh.

If you don't like Disney, Pixar, or Marvel stuff then it's probably disappointing. There's enough on there that my wife and I will watch to get our money's worth. Especially since it's currently free, and as long as it can still bundle with Hulu it will remain relatively cheap long term.

We can just continue to agree to disagree about the new Star Wars and whatnot. They are for sure flawed, but I still really like them. I don't think there's much left to be said.

I did like The Mandalorian. I didn't love it, but it is a solid pilot. And I love the aesthetics and old-school creature designs and whatnot. I trust the people in charge of the project to treat it well. I like Rian Johnson's work, but none of it screamed Star Wars and you can tell it's not really the type of movie he's practiced in. And I think JJ did a fine job with TFA as a safe jumping off point, but I am more skeptical of him continuing after that. Favreau is a guy I think could knock this out of the park.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Ogrezilla i rewatched all 6 of the originals while on the 7 day trial before this new trash trilogy and man the screwjob on Anakin still cracks me up, the pandering on Rey and her magical speediness on being a Jedi master and usage of the force before she even gets training, etc.

Such a circle jerk for people that can't accept the flaws and act like anyone that points it out are just haters.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@Ogrezilla i rewatched all 6 of the originals while on the 7 day trial before this new trash trilogy and man the screwjob on Anakin still cracks me up, the pandering on Rey and her magical speediness on being a Jedi master and usage of the force before she even gets training, etc.

Such a circle jerk for people that can't accept the flaws and act like anyone that points it out are just haters.
but you acting like anyone who likes it must be some idiot is perfectly reasonable

I still say the prequels have a better story than the new trilogy, but they are worse movies. The first two at least. RotS is on par with the new ones. It's got the same great parts and complete wtf parts as TLJ.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

He’ll, even a fourth rate Yojimbo is pretty good. No shame in copping it.

That’s why I got no beef with the new SW films, because it’s not like the originals are some perfect works of art. They’re flawed, derivative films that steal whole heartedly from a range of shit. I wish they’d go back to that more honestly. Like Tarantino, Lukas is more fun to watch when he’s riffing off of other people’s films.

(American Graffiti aside.)

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
but you acting like anyone who likes it must be some idiot is perfectly reasonable

I still say the prequels have a better story than the new trilogy, but they are worse movies. The first two at least. RotS is on par with the new ones. It's got the same great parts and complete wtf parts as TLJ.
1-3 is far better than 7 & 8 and likely 9.

I bet you think the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise is a joke too, you f***ing casual.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It is dreadfully removed from the campy fun and simple, CLEAR, characters with easily understood motivations of classic Star Wars. Star Wars isn't like some sort of groundbreaking story telling masterpiece...but it has enough individuality that you can find someone to relate to and easily cheer for. Who the f*** do we care about with this new trilogy?

What is Rey's motivation? Kylo's? f***ing Luke? Like, it is all so muddy....who is doing what and why, man?

That aside, it is at best an odd space sci-fi franchise now. Has nothing to do with Star Wars other than maybe some shared words or items in the universe.

The prequels are by far a better story---but a worse movie, because they are boring as shit. But the politics and moves at least had some basis for why they were happening.

What was the POINT of the TLJ? Is the story or narrative moved forward in anyway?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh noez :( Star Wars discussion. I absolutely loved TFA. #7 is incredible. That was everything Star Wars needed to be and more.

#8 is unacceptable. The storyline was bad. It was beyond brutal. There were cringe moments in it. I am the biggest Star Wars apologist but I have yet to rewatch #8 because there is nothing I want to see.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Oh noez :( Star Wars discussion. I absolutely loved TFA. #7 is incredible. That was everything Star Wars needed to be and more.

#8 is unacceptable. The storyline was bad. It was beyond brutal. There were cringe moments in it. I am the biggest Star Wars apologist but I have yet to rewatch #8 because there is nothing I want to see.

.......yup. TFA set up many different storylines and things to explore...and...then...the pointless 2.5hours of TLJ occurred and destroyed any hope.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What drunk dipshit is in charge of the release schedule for The Mandalorian?

Episode 1
Episode 2, 3 days later, then the next two, 7 days after each other.....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
.......yup. TFA set up many different storylines and things to explore...and...then...the pointless 2.5hours of TLJ occurred and destroyed any hope.
The pandering, the story f***-ups, the desperate re-creation of Lucas' original trilogy as it's basis...yeah, real cutting edge shit that people love with the new one.

I mean, I half expect some dumb ass story line of the Midi Chlorians being the reason Rey exists and she too, is a child of Palpatine like Anakin was which does make her a Skywalker as well, etc etc. But it'll be something even lamer, because JJ has the creativity of a gnat.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I would have rather tagged along with Rogue Squadron on mopping up Empire missions in the Outer Rim and general peacekeeping/handing Nestle Crunch bars to the planets to get support for this New Galactic Senate that was presumably created after ROTJ. Cause not everyone would have thrown the 'shackles' of organized government under the Empire off because some teddy bears hit walkers with trees.

Only to, uh oh, find out that there is something more sinister than the Empire out there.

Next episode delves back into the politics and realization that running a Galaxy without being heavy handed is almost impossible/the heros start to become the villains. New baddies essentially make Senate look worse than it is because the Senate are AFRAID of whatever the new boogeyman is...and are cracking down on systems left and right to prevent the spread of whatever this is.

Final movie....their leadership being questioned by the populace, the new Senate, lead by Luke who has returned, faces off against the big baddies (I dont know if it is alien, technology, force, whatever they started to uncover in the first and second movie). They win. Restore galaxy wide faith in the New Senate etc etc.

Branch off new character arcs/planets/etc throughout, to have a hope of hooking new fans/making new trilogies/star wars stories.

Boom. Already a better goddamn trilogy than whatever the f*** we got.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Star Wars is a third rate Kurosawa franchise, you realize?
Well, that's where it borrowed influence for, big time. The first 6 are watchable, the new 3 (2 specifically) are giant rip offs of the original 3 with a skidmark of the director's influence added in for the current generation to pander to.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He’ll, even a fourth rate Yojimbo is pretty good. No shame in copping it.

That’s why I got no beef with the new SW films, because it’s not like the originals are some perfect works of art. They’re flawed, derivative films that steal whole heartedly from a range of ****. I wish they’d go back to that more honestly. Like Tarantino, Lukas is more fun to watch when he’s riffing off of other people’s films.

(American Graffiti aside.)
Which is fine, the originals stole themes from other movies, like all movies tend to do. But the new SW films don't even steal from classic, it basically rips off its own source material and pawns it off as a "fresh new wave franchise to continue the old story" which is more like "we polished this old turd and bedazzled it for the new morons that will eat this shit right up."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad