OT: Scandy's Rave Party: The Fun Never Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Which is fine, the originals stole themes from other movies, like all movies tend to do. But the new SW films don't even steal from classic, it basically rips off its own source material and pawns it off as a "fresh new wave franchise to continue the old story" which is more like "we polished this old turd and bedazzled it for the new morons that will eat this **** right up."

And again, I have no issues with Classic Star Wars being totally unoriginal. It had bad guy, good guy, neutral guy, people who help, people who hurt. It was simple. It was a campfire story. But in space. With cool shit we dont have here. And a bit of mystery regarding everyone.

It didnt need to be more than that.

The prequels could have been better...I think maybe being the rise in Sith/politics of Palpatine--his past, his origin would have been better, with the last movie him JUST starting to corrupt Anakin--like maybe Anakin is like around 20 years old--we didnt need to see Anakin's accelerated life from kid to adult, because did it matter? No, it didn't. He was an annoying little kid. And a whiny adult. Who really cares.

They didnt show much of a friendship between him and Obi Wan so the eventual fall was anti-climactic anyway. So screw most of those three movies because they didn't really show us anything anyway. We know HE turned...but why did Palpatine turn???

The sequels could surely have been better. It just needed some cool little stories in that universe. Nothing more. They added too many things while not fleshing anything out and it is all just confounding to watch and try to interpret.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And again, I have no issues with Classic Star Wars being totally unoriginal. It had bad guy, good guy, neutral guy, people who help, people who hurt. It was simple. It was a campfire story. But in space. With cool **** we dont have here. And a bit of mystery regarding everyone.

It didnt need to be more than that.

The prequels could have been better...I think maybe being the rise in Sith/politics of Palpatine--his past, his origin would have been better, with the last movie him JUST starting to corrupt Anakin--like maybe Anakin is like around 20 years old--we didnt need to see Anakin's accelerated life from kid to adult, because did it matter? No, it didn't. He was an annoying little kid. And a whiny adult. Who really cares. So while people whine about the first 3 being terrible, they really weren't, watch all 6 (screw that plot hole butt plug that is Rogue one) and you'll see a more fluid storyline (although flawed) that shows the 6 are a strong series of movies, when you add in the 2 new movies, it weakens the whole original 6 so much, which is why I hate them, they are a continuation that ruins.

They didnt show much of a friendship between him and Obi Wan so the eventual fall was anti-climactic anyway. So screw most of those three movies because they didn't really show us anything anyway. We know HE turned...but why did Palpatine turn???

The sequels could surely have been better. It just needed some cool little stories in that universe. Nothing more. They added too many things while not fleshing anything out and it is all just confounding to watch and try to interpret.
Obi wan also asks Anakin to spy and use his friendship to f*** over someone he respects (albeit a bad guy), Mace Windu also embarrasses Anakin for his own pleasure and then tries to kill Palpatine when Anakin is saying no, take him in and let a trial do its thing, so really, he was f***ed over numerous times, but people see this as "a whiny dude that deserved what he got..." and I am like, what? The guy literally just wanted to help people and save them and be the best Jedi he could be and looked up to Obi who then uses his friendship to make him spy and that messes with his head even more.

I wholeheartedly disagree it didn't show their friendship. There are times in the 2nd and 3rd movie that shows Obi and Ani being friends and talking about how many times who has saved whom and how Obi councils Anakin while he's all flustered around Padme, the only stupid thing is they basically had separate missions and so you were only alluded to that bond. In the 3rd one, for the first half, you still see it, Anakin speaking fondly and with respect to Obi Wan and how often Anakin tries to tow the line of being a Jedi that could be a Master Jedi someday. The first 3 are as flawed as the original 3, but people seem to just pan them. The only annoying thing about the first 3 is the whole Jar Jar crap and the fact that they talk about Qui-Gon finding a way to come back but then that was it...never even touched on that or showed it. I wish they would between 3 and 4.

Mandalorian has so much potential to do that, tell the story of the gap that no one explores. You either get a story of Rogue one, which is just before Episode 4, or tid bits after 3. This one takes place 5yrs after Yoda is dead.

But hey, I'm just a hater fan...

I HAVE SPOKEN.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So when is this He-Man return supposed to happen? Also, f*** no to the cross-over with She-Ra, I hate that cheap animation style and would rather see the original He-man style of animation brought back but polished up.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I get the Anakin thing but I'm saying it didn't come across that succinctly in the movies.

Mostly because they had terrible direction and ended up being wooden actors. You really can't watch and know exactly what Anakin is feeling and how much he really is getting hurt.

Because he goes from fairly subservient lackey to murderer in like twelve minutes.

There should have been epic space-bro adventures of Obi Wan and Anakin going on instead of a Threepio building podracing slave kid bullshit.

The prequels were supposed to be about Anakin but they were about nothing, in the end. You don't feel sorrow for him. You don't feel vindicated for the Council. You don't feel dread for the future of anyone.

If anything the prequels should have started about halfway through Attack of the Clones with him and Obi Wan doing space stuff and ended with Rogue One having turned completely to serve the Empire.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
2 episodes into Mandalorian and you can see Favreau is probably not as good as you'd hope.

Montage with rebuilding the ship - Iron Man 1 montage of making the suit type shit.
Most of the first 2 episodes is filler stuff, with like 10% of what you're hoping for.

I really hope this gets better, but so far, this is one of those things where if this is the show that helps them launch Disney+, this shit is underwhelming af.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I get the Anakin thing but I'm saying it didn't come across that succinctly in the movies.

Mostly because they had terrible direction and ended up being wooden actors. You really can't watch and know exactly what Anakin is feeling and how much he really is getting hurt.

Because he goes from fairly subservient lackey to murderer in like twelve minutes.

There should have been epic space-bro adventures of Obi Wan and Anakin going on instead of a Threepio building podracing slave kid bull****.

The prequels were supposed to be about Anakin but they were about nothing, in the end. You don't feel sorrow for him. You don't feel vindicated for the Council. You don't feel dread for the future of anyone.

If anything the prequels should have started about halfway through Attack of the Clones with him and Obi Wan doing space stuff and ended with Rogue One having turned completely to serve the Empire.

See I disagree...

• I felt sorrow for Anakin and his whole plight. He loses his Mom, has no clue who his father is so he has this need for a father figure his whole life, Obi-Wan is one for him but then he keeps distancing himself from Anakin.
  • Dude is so force sensitive that his power is off the charts, he needs a mentor, has been desperately looking for one and knows when he's done wrong but no one is there to reign him in outside of Palpatine and well, he's the absolute worst mentor (also his dad, through magical impregnating ways with Midi Chlorians).
  • All Anakin's ever wanted is to bring peace and have a proper order of things.
  • Jedi Council has shown time and time again throughout all of these movies that they're pretty much as f***ed up as the Dark side, yet it's hilariously over looked. It's like that whole saying, we're seeing the story from the side of good and how they see the other side as monsters, whereas if you got the story from the other end, likely the same thing and if you really took a step back, you see two equally terrible sides.
  • Anakin falls in love, finally sees he can have his own family, something he NEVER had, a proper one, then has dreams he might lose it all...obvious panic for a guy that has struggled to want something like that so badly in his life.
  • Obi-Wan asks him to betray someone he's close to, to use his friendship with Palpatine to spy for the Jedi Council, the Council that just moments before, took a giant dump on him led by Windu and a bunch of quiet puppets that had no balls to speak up.
  • Anakin still tries to be good when Windu loses his composure, a Master Jedi no less that has basically lost his composure and wants to kill Palpatine while Anakin says no, lets bring him in and let the council decide. Likely feeling guilt for the whole Dooku thing.
  • Take into account the clone wars show, it basically shows the bond of Anakin and Obi-wan, but more so in a fun adventure way, but in the movies, you can see a kid that is supposed to have a mentor and really, is used by two sides and no one really has his best interest at heart, not even Padme, probably the worst character in the entire franchise.

People jerk themselves off to the Marvel movies while every plot hole is discussed after the movie by the Writers, Directors, Actors, and even the Master B himself, Feige and accept it as gospel because it fixes what they like. But this stuff, it's like literally in the movie, but people seem to be panning it because of their what, dislike for Hayden Christensen? Dude might not be a great actor, but at least he didn't f*** some broad and then bring her to an award show and then thank his wife whom he just cheated on, like Mr Ewan McGregor. That's a different story though..

But being sympathetic to Anakin, it's there, people have this weird hate for those movies, but watch it with this knowledge and just watch it and not let the previous judgement come in and you'll see, the story is there.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I like how IT forgot that a bunch of us work nights...and that it doesn't slow until maybe 2am...yet...they scheduled mandatory Windows 10 INSTALL downloads at 8pm....

My computer is almost at 95%...three and a half f***ing hours later.

Sorry not everyone's world stops at 5:01pm on a Friday night, ***holes.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Will you fund me? I have a close personal friend who works for cartoon network I can get to help produce with me and act.
If you fund me. I can make it so.

Why dont you just lift some shops for money?

Also....I have forwarded your request to Netflix. You have $325k.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Why dont you just lift some shops for money?

Also....I have forwarded your request to Netflix. You have $325k.
Really? Can I spend a quarter of the budget on narcotics? Thats what hollywood types do right?
What kind of movie am I making since your the money.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Really? Can I spend a quarter of the budget on narcotics? Thats what hollywood types do right?
What kind of movie am I making since your the money.

Look, I am just the producer. You said you and your buddy could make a movie. Are you telling me you dont even have a f***ing screenplay secured?? I can't build a script without a pitch. WTF. I already got the financing.

Reactions: shoplifter

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
ya'll should make movies.
You know what, I bet I can make a decent movie, I won't even need a crazy budget. Just give me an experienced writer that will help me put my ideas down and banter with me so we can put a good movie together and then we can sort the rest out.

Or should I just rehash some storied franchise like Hollywood loves to do for people sitting there with their mouths open like a Marvel/Disney bukakke?

Yeah I said it, it wasn't even censored.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Look, I am just the producer. You said you and your buddy could make a movie. Are you telling me you dont even have a ****ing screenplay secured?? I can't build a script without a pitch. WTF. I already got the financing.
WOA WOA WOA SIR. Ok daddy warbucks... you'll have your picture.

Financing and finished product: what I need from you and what you get from me.

It shall be done.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’ll, even a fourth rate Yojimbo is pretty good. No shame in copping it.

That’s why I got no beef with the new SW films, because it’s not like the originals are some perfect works of art. They’re flawed, derivative films that steal whole heartedly from a range of ****. I wish they’d go back to that more honestly. Like Tarantino, Lukas is more fun to watch when he’s riffing off of other people’s films.

(American Graffiti aside.)

As you kinda say, the fact that they stole from everywhere was why they work. They're just warm cosy fun in a world full of mythic touchstones that make instant sense to most people.

Throw in the sense that it was the tip of an iceberg and that there was a whole galaxy like that for people to dream of their own stories in, and there you go.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As you kinda say, the fact that they stole from everywhere was why they work. They're just warm cosy fun in a world full of mythic touchstones that make instant sense to most people.

Throw in the sense that it was the tip of an iceberg and that there was a whole galaxy like that for people to dream of their own stories in, and there you go.
Everyone bites someone's work, it's just the nature of the game. Music, Movies, Literature, etc. Themes are always stolen, beats, etc.

I mean, hell...Avatar was the highest grossing movie of all time and that thing is literally Pocahontas with Blue Aliens.

But it's rare to literally rip off your own franchise while adding to it and telling people it's a fresh new lease on the franchise. That's just slapping you and saying no, I didn't just slap you, you just imagined it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The people that think what he said is ok don't know his history, I saw videos of his interviews in the 80's and what not, the guy has been a bigot and racist for his whole life and no one has properly taken care of it. Bobby Orr is out to lunch, he's so close to the situation that he's clueless.

As a halfer growing up playing sports, I heard some of the most foul things as a kid, a kid, by parents. People that would probably say "What Don Cherry said, wasn't wrong."

So **** him and **** his "fans" because he's trash. The game of hockey is better without him around it. Watching that canadian broadcast just got so much better for me on weekends because of it, I am actually looking forward to HNIC vs the Leafs now.

A halfer.... hmmm... HEY!
Reminds me, growing up.... I lived in a small town next to a city that was 5-10ish miles away. I had this best friend Geoff. Both of his parents were white and his sister was white, but he was f***ing tan like an Italian it was the strangest thing. Maybe he was wrot with infidelity.
But I never knew it as an innocent child, people shouted the craziest shit that I only realized as I had gotten older.

I'm old school in a lot of ways... I joke about races and saw raunchy shit and I am far from PC. I'm offensive, BUT it's in good humor. I'm far from racist. I have a straight up Honduran wife I paid thousands of dollars to get a visa and move her here, etc.

I'm just so sick of the PC, hate crowd, counter culture, etc etc whatever you call the maniacs.

Yeah man It is wrong what they did / said to you.I'll never forget my black friend was sitting at the bar with me and a few friends whom he had just gotten in while several of us had been there awhlie talking with 3 old friends from highschool. The bar had high stools. The 3 of them were cool with us until my black friend came and sat down, this guy started melting down from the inside out mumbling the most racist thoughts. He eventually shouted Racial Slur, blah blah I forget the rest, and swept his bar highstool out from under him and tried to start a fist fight. People should not have to deal with that kind of treatment because of their color. He dealt with it so frequently (in the bar scene way back in the day). It takes a special kind of person to say such rotten things to a fellow human being.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
By the by,
Anyone play 'DISCO ELYSIUM' on PC?!
This game is some wild wild shit and it's f***ing incredible.
It's not for everyone as I don't think there is combat, but the cerebral ride you get to witness and choose it all for your very own is downright straight up impressive as all hell.
I _highly_ recommend this game!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But being sympathetic to Anakin, it's there, people have this weird hate for those movies, but watch it with this knowledge and just watch it and not let the previous judgement come in and you'll see, the story is there.
the story is absolutely there. Sadly the terrible scripts and directing are also there. And the revolving door of villains really hurts it compared to the constant threat of Vader. Pick any of Maul, Dooku, or Grevious as the 2nd in command and the series instantly would have been way better. You can make it work in a series like clone wars, but the movie didn't have time to develop all three. Instead it developed none of them.

I also don't really like most of the fight choreography. Everything is so flashy and cut-heavy, but it never feels like these people are really trying to hurt eachother the way it does in the originals or in the fight in the woods in ep 7. That's a flaw I'd give to the throne room fight in ep 8 as well.

My biggest complaint of the whole thing is the pacing though. Phantom Menace feels like it should have been a prequel in it's own right, to a trilogy about Anakin and Obi Wan during the clone wars. The actual fall ended up feeling so rushed because they wasted a whole 1/3 of the series introducing the kid who would become the main character, but making him a side character for the whole first movie. Compare that to the original where Luke is in Mos Eisley 40 minutes in. The whole thing could have really used another movie between 2 and 3 showing Anakin and Obi Wan fighting in the war together. Or combine some of 1 and 2 together somehow. To really get the full impact of Ep3, The Clone Wars is almost required viewing. Ep 3 is definitely a better movie after watching it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
If you hate Star Wars so much why do you watch everything released that is related to it and discuss it on a hockey web board ad nauseam?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
If you hate Star Wars so much why do you watch everything released that is related to it and discuss it on a hockey web board ad nauseam?

Why does every poster here post f***ing lines?

No one cares who you think RW3 should be.

Yet..daily..56,000 f***ing lines are posted.

Reactions: dogthateats

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why does every poster here post ****ing lines?

No one cares who you think RW3 should be.

Yet..daily..56,000 ****ing lines are posted.
*Yoink*

giphy.gif

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guys please have respect and agree to disagree. We don't need to run in circles if neither party is budging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad