OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just got a snap in my group chat from one of my friends from Pitt, who got engaged to his girlfriend (also a good friend of mine) today. After my initial feelings of happiness for them, I started to feel dread about my life for some reason :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I just got a snap in my group chat from one of my friends from Pitt, who got engaged to his girlfriend (also a good friend of mine) today. After my initial feelings of happiness for them, I started to feel dread about my life for some reason :laugh:

Ah to live life without having to take someone else's feelings or input into consideration again....

...don't feel dread about people coupling or having kids or any of that shit, man.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Never try to live your life mirroring others!
Ah to live life without having to take someone else's feelings or input into consideration again....

...don't feel dread about people coupling or having kids or any of that ****, man.

I don't think the issue is that, I think it just hits a lot harder when one of your close friends gets hitched. It makes you think "oh ****, am I at this point in my life?", which is not a thought I wanted to have. It's a lot easier to just dismiss it and say "look at these idiots getting married way too early" when it's idiots from your high school instead of your close friends :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol I think everyone from my high school days is married with kids. Then again I've been out of high school longer than Sid has been in the league so...

I just take my DINK life and we take trips whenever and don't have to worry about feeding little humans.

Literally zero regrets.

I had to look up what this word meant, because "dink" meant something else to me. Then I realized that "dink" has a boatload of definitions :laugh:

Anyways, that's pretty much what I'm shooting for too, either that or the SINK life. I have literally zero interest in having kids, I'm outspokenly anti-child. I don't judge others for having kids (unless they shouldn't be having kids), but I'd rather retire dramatically earlier, have a lot more money and travel a lot more than have kids. It's the same reason that despite the fact that I love dogs, I've debated if I want the added commitment of having a dog.

I've looked at the standard life (finish high school, get a job, buy a house, have kids, work until your 65, retire and then sit around until you die) and basically said "yeah, **** that". I don't even know if I want to buy a house, I've been doing research for whether buying a house or renting plus investing is a better strategy recently.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Greetings fellow Mo-town resident.

Haha... yeah I think we've talked about this before years back. I actually moved back up to the Northern Panhandle area after nearly 15 years in Mo-town. I often miss it. Probably the food and outdoor scenery the most. I still often have vivid dreams of Bluehole. We would hike and camp out in that area nearly every weekend.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I had to look up what this word meant, because "dink" meant something else to me. Then I realized that "dink" has a boatload of definitions :laugh:

Anyways, that's pretty much what I'm shooting for too, either that or the SINK life. I have literally zero interest in having kids, I'm outspokenly anti-child. I don't judge others for having kids (unless they shouldn't be having kids), but I'd rather retire dramatically earlier, have a lot more money and travel a lot more than have kids. It's the same reason that despite the fact that I love dogs, I've debated if I want the added commitment of having a dog.

I've looked at the standard life (finish high school, get a job, buy a house, have kids, work until your 65, retire and then sit around until you die) and basically said "yeah, **** that". I don't even know if I want to buy a house, I've been doing research for whether buying a house or renting plus investing is a better strategy recently.

Exactly. I did recently buy a house, but my job experience/education doesn't apply everywhere so I'm kinda stuck and with it being California...I had to "lock in" a bit. Not at all sold on it being a good decision, though.

Your education could be in-demand in many fields all over the world. No real reason to anchor yourself right now.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Exactly. I did recently buy a house, but my job experience/education doesn't apply everywhere so I'm kinda stuck and with it being California...I had to "lock in" a bit. Not at all sold on it being a good decision, though.

Your education could be in-demand in many fields all over the world. No real reason to anchor yourself right now.

Most of my friends from high school are married and have kids. [I have not kept in contact with my college friends so who knows with them] There's so few of us non-committed friends left. Even my older brother, who I never expected to have kids, has a son. My nephew is enough for me.

Luckily, my current girlfriend doesn't want kids. Nor do I.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Ever watch Doug and notice how his neighbors are the Dinks, who both have good jobs, no kids, and all of the coolest shit in Bluffington? The name was a little too on the nose for any of us to get it as children :laugh:

But yeah, 'normal' is pretty much my definition of hell and pretty much unobtainable for me regardless. At least having a defective gene that I'd probably pass onto any potential children gives me an easy out on the not wanting kids angle.

Home ownership is a concept I can't wrap my head around yet despite the fact that my dad built his own house in friggin' Upper St. Clair on a single florist's salary when he was nearly a decade younger than I am now. To be fair his American Dreamcrashed when I was an infant, but still. If nothing else I like that renting means that I can up and move in little more than a month if I so please. That thought also has probably resulted in me spending 7+ years in LA without growing any semblance of roots here, but I damn well know I'm never buying a house here. For me to afford a house that I'd want around here I'd have to be a millionaire, and if I had that kind of money the biggest reasons I stay here would fade away and I'd be able to get something even better for cheaper somewhere with a semblance of seasons. Also...I mean...let's be real, setting up roots in the ceaselessly growing, endless sprawl of a natural disaster-happy region without a reasonable water source that's in a near-constant drought just feels irresponsible (and at these costs, a terrible long-term investment).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ever watch Doug and notice how his neighbors are the Dinks, who both have good jobs, no kids, and all of the coolest **** in Bluffington? The name was a little too on the nose for any of us to get it as children :laugh:

But yeah, 'normal' is pretty much my definition of hell and pretty much unobtainable for me regardless. At least having a defective gene that I'd probably pass onto any potential children gives me an easy out on the not wanting kids angle.

Home ownership is a concept I can't wrap my head around yet despite the fact that my dad built his own house in friggin' Upper St. Clair on a single florist's salary when he was nearly a decade younger than I am now. To be fair his American Dreamcrashed when I was an infant, but still. If nothing else I like that renting means that I can up and move in little more than a month if I so please. That thought also has probably resulted in me spending 7+ years in LA without growing any semblance of roots here, but I damn well know I'm never buying a house here. For me to afford a house that I'd want around here I'd have to be a millionaire, and if I had that kind of money the biggest reasons I stay here would fade away and I'd be able to get something even better for cheaper somewhere with a semblance of seasons. Also...I mean...let's be real, setting up roots in the ceaselessly growing, endless sprawl of a natural disaster-happy region without a reasonable water source that's in a near-constant drought just feels irresponsible (and at these costs, a terrible long-term investment).

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't be looking at mechanical engineering jobs in San Diego? :laugh:

I know I said that San Diego would probably be too expensive for me like yesterday, but I realized that money isn't going to be a problem for me if I don't have kids. I can't take any money to the grave, so might as well live in a nicer area I can still afford instead of just saying "that's too expensive". By the time I leave my current company, I'll be 25 with a master's degree, no debt, no obligations and a really good amount of money saved up. I need to stop worrying about finances so much.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I recently wanted to move to San Diego. Weather seems like it'd be way better than this central valley California stuff.

But I don't want to commute 45 miles on the like one freeway down there.

I don't think I can make enough in the city proper.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
By the time I leave my current company, I'll be 25 with a master's degree, no debt, no obligations and a really good amount of money saved up.

source.gif

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't be looking at mechanical engineering jobs in San Diego? :laugh:

At least San Diego isn't near the fault and doesn't already have insufferably hot temperatures. LA is just illogically huge for the geography and resources around here. Cities this huge typically grow out of a resource boom, not because an entire industry wanted to get as far away from Thomas Edison as possible while still being in the country.

Last edited:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Married with 2 kids. I feel personally attacked.

Nah, in all seriousness I am 100% behind the movement to be perfectly okay with SINKs and DINKs becoming more prevalent. We spent far too long with this traditional nuclear family definition of success which has always been horse puck. If a person or couple is not absolutely certain if they want or can handle kids, don't have kids. You may hear it from the boomers (the memetic boomers, not literal) but far too many people have had kids just because they felt like they had to and all it lead to was a rising percentage of ****ed up kids.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@pixiesfanyo do you have any recommendations for good areas of San Diego to look at for rentals? I'm kinda just shooting in the dark here, but I'm not sure which areas are particularly great and which ones are the Homewood of San Diego :laugh:

I saw a job in Poway (plus a few surrounding areas) with General Atomics that I'd try to get, but everything in Poway is so expensive that I would prefer to look elsewhere first. Mira Mesa does seem like a good location option, I'm seeing apartments for like $1350 a month and it's pretty close to a LA Fitness (~10 minute drive) and a General Atomics (~15 minute drive).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@pixiesfanyo do you have any recommendations for good areas of San Diego to look at for rentals? I'm kinda just shooting in the dark here, but I'm not sure which areas are particularly great and which ones are the Homewood of San Diego :laugh:

I saw a job in Poway (plus a few surrounding areas) with General Atomics that I'd try to get, but everything in Poway is so expensive that I would prefer to look elsewhere first.

You sure you'd want to drive that far?

For the 5-days I was there, I stayed in their Little Italy neighborhood. Not sure how expensive rent would be (I'm assuming $1400+ [haaaaa, I just went on craigslist and I'm way off]) but I very much enjoyed it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I saw a job in Poway (plus a few surrounding areas) with General Atomics that I'd try to get, but everything in Poway is so expensive that I would prefer to look elsewhere first. Mira Mesa does seem like a good location option, I'm seeing apartments for like $1350 a month and it's pretty close to a LA Fitness (~10 minute drive) and a General Atomics (~15 minute drive).

Poway is pretty far out so being somewhere like Mira Mesa would be good. Just know that it is suburbia.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You sure you'd want to drive that far?

For the 5-days I was there, I stayed in their Little Italy neighborhood. Not sure how expensive rent would be (I'm assuming $1400+ [haaaaa, I just went on craigslist and I'm way off]) but I very much enjoyed it.

That's one case that I'd pay someone else to move my stuff with no hesitation. Even if moving out there costs a bunch of money, I'd much rather pay someone to move my stuff over that distance.

Poway is pretty far out so being somewhere like Mira Mesa would be good. Just know that it is suburbia.

I don't have any issues with that, it's close enough to SD that I'd be completely fine with that location. The travel time from Mira Mesa to downtown San Diego seems to be about the same as the travel time from Mt. Lebanon to downtown Pittsburgh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's one case that I'd pay someone else to move my stuff with no hesitation. Even if moving out there costs a bunch of money, I'd much rather pay someone to move my stuff over that distance.

I don't have any issues with that, it's close enough to SD that I'd be completely fine with that location. The travel time from Mira Mesa to downtown San Diego seems to be about the same as the travel time from Mt. Lebanon to downtown Pittsburgh.

Yeah, I mean as long as your comfortable driving you’d be fine. They are also putting a rail line in relatively close to there and there is also the Ocean Line or UBER if ya wanna get drunk. Plus if you like craft beer all the breweries (Ballast Point, Alesmith, Green Flash, Mikkeller, etc.) are in that area.

I know GA does a lot of temporary position so or contracted jobs so just be careful with that because this ain’t the city to be poor in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad