OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dislike suburbia. It certainly has it's place for some people, but it absolutely isn't for me.

I do like living in a city more, but I'm fine with suburbia as long as it's closer to urban than rural and it has public transportation. I'd prefer to live in an area like Greenfield, a suburban area that is very close to an urban area.

I know GA does a lot of temporary position so or contracted jobs so just be careful with that because this ain’t the city to be poor in.

The good thing is that it seems like there are a bunch of mechanical engineering jobs available in SD, so I wouldn't be completely ****ed if something like that would happen. I'd have to move for this one, but I know a few people at Diablo Canyon if things got to that point too.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I do like living in a city more, but I'm fine with suburbia as long as it's closer to urban than rural and it has public transportation. I'd prefer to live in an area like Greenfield, a suburban area that is very close to an urban area.

The good thing is that it seems like there are a bunch of mechanical engineering jobs available in SD, so I wouldn't be completely ****ed if something like that would happen. I'd have to move for this one, but I know a few people at Diablo Canyon if things got to that point too.

Check out/keep an eye out on Solar Turbines. They're right by the San Diego airport.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Check out/keep an eye out on Solar Turbines. They're right by the San Diego airport.

Looking at this company, I think they're going to be one of the companies I apply for if I actually go through with this. Doing thermal design/analysis work on power generation components (steam generators, combustion engines, turbines, ect) is pretty much up my alley for what I want to do.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Looking at this company, I think they're going to be one of the companies I apply for if I actually go through with this. Doing thermal design/analysis work on power generation components (steam generators, combustion engines, turbines, ect) is pretty much up my alley for what I want to do.

We supply a bunch of material for ST :)

Reactions: Empoleon8771

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone from here live in downtown Philly?
I was there today and I was just curious about something...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yes. Did mechanical undergrad with a focus in manufacturing. Been doing natural gas pipeline stuff for about 9 (dear lord) years now. Why do you ask?
Just curious. I did some commissioning work years ago with my friends company who's father owned the company (so he gave me a gig) and we worked in Oakland area of Pittsburgh (CMU and the Bill Gates technology center when they were building/upgrading those buildings).

Do you do commissioning work at all?

He now works for Aramark *works from home*, but when they have to be onsite he travels. Mostly they have jobs in NYC (bronx, long island, a few boros), Detroit (the Ford factories), New Orleans, Los Angeles.

Just wondering if you were happy with your current employer and want to let you know that Aramark seems like a decent employer for Electrical/Mechanical Engineers if you ever wanted / had to change employers. They work from home a lot too and travel to be onsight quite frequently usually around the 2-3 days a week area if you were into working from home / traveling to onsight jobs roughly 60/40 (home - onsight, roughly).

He makes 80k I think? Gets over 1,000$ with his weekly paychecks. Just a friendly heads up about an employer - not knowing your situation - maybe it would be an improvement? Just a friendly heads up kinda deal ya know.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Just curious. I did some commissioning work years ago with my friends company who's father owned the company (so he gave me a gig) and we worked in Oakland area of Pittsburgh (CMU and the Bill Gates technology center when they were building/upgrading those buildings).

Do you do commissioning work at all?

He now works for Aramark *works from home*, but when they have to be onsite he travels. Mostly they have jobs in NYC (bronx, long island, a few boros), Detroit (the Ford factories), New Orleans, Los Angeles.

Just wondering if you were happy with your current employer and want to let you know that Aramark seems like a decent employer for Electrical/Mechanical Engineers if you ever wanted / had to change employers. They work from home a lot too and travel to be onsight quite frequently usually around the 2-3 days a week area if you were into working from home / traveling to onsight jobs roughly 60/40 (home - onsight, roughly).

He makes 80k I think? Gets over 1,000$ with his weekly paychecks. Just a friendly heads up about an employer - not knowing your situation - maybe it would be an improvement? Just a friendly heads up kinda deal ya know.

What do you mean by commissioning? Like, getting natural gas facilities up and running? Because I'm about to do that in a few months (we think). We were supposed to have done that by now, but because of reasons, we're a year and a half back. And in the planning stages... again. I've asked about our commissioning plans but have been left in the dark. I think they just want to go from air to gas?

Either way, I think it's known here that I dislike my current job. So thank you much for the heads up. If it IS the same commissioning I think it is, please send me a PM. Even if they don't have job opportunities for me it'd be good to ask them about our commissioning plan.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What do you mean by commissioning? Like, getting natural gas facilities up and running? Because I'm about to do that in a few months (we think). We were supposed to have done that by now, but because of reasons, we're a year and a half back. And in the planning stages... again. I've asked about our commissioning plans but have been left in the dark. I think they just want to go from air to gas?

Either way, I think it's known here that I dislike my current job. So thank you much for the heads up. If it IS the same commissioning I think it is, please send me a PM. Even if they don't have job opportunities for me it'd be good to ask them about our commissioning plan.

Ok, now that the game is over:
Commissioning, not sure the exact job details, but my job when doing commissioning was, I would get the detailed print outs (blue prints? donno, the EE/ME style map print outs, the big'uns) and I would have a job, say I would have to do certain wings or floors of laser pointing air diffusers making sure they were all where they were supposed to be and functioning inbetween their appropriate temperature range. That was just one job I remember specifically I did at CMU in Oakland.

I honestly don't know the official job specifications and what not, but I really enjoyed commissioning projects and would _love_ to find an engineering type of work to do that full-time. Though like I said, I was a shoo-in because I knew my friend whose father owned a small veteran owned engineering firm. I'm not educated or qualified to be an actual EE/ME/commissioner.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

You are welcome. What do you want me to PM you about? Aramark? I'm not sure what type of employee my friend is within the company (well liked, etc) as in whether or not listing him as a reference would help your opportunity to get in the company.

But I do know that there are employee's from Boston, New York State, from all over that he works with and he lives in north eastern PA. So I'm not sure your location would be a hindrance seeing as they work from home and travel onsight like I said.

Couldn't hurt to drop your resume though and I could ask my friend whether or not his referral would be of assisstance.
(he just left for NYC tonight actually so he is gone atm)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Ok, now that the game is over:
Commissioning, not sure the exact job details, but my job when doing commissioning was, I would get the detailed print outs (blue prints? donno, the EE/ME style map print outs, the big'uns) and I would have a job, say I would have to do certain wings or floors of laser pointing air diffusers making sure they were all where they were supposed to be and functioning inbetween their appropriate temperature range. That was just one job I remember specifically I did at CMU in Oakland.

I honestly don't know the official job specifications and what not, but I really enjoyed commissioning projects and would _love_ to find an engineering type of work to do that full-time. Though like I said, I was a shoo-in because I knew my friend whose father owned a small veteran owned engineering firm. I'm not educated or qualified to be an actual EE/ME/commissioner.

Ah, I get it now. There's likely different "commissioning" per product delivered. What you said was kind of what we would need. Just different end product (hopefully... unless you wanted to deliver methane to the CMU students?).

Though, I do think I'm qualified for that work. So please do send a link or contact info over. :)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FYI for anyone who would be interested, Disney+ comes out today with a package of that, ESPN+ and Hulu w/adds for $13. That seems like a great deal, the only reason I'm hesitating is that I don't watch a ton of TV shows but that ESPN+ membership may sway me.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Plus, Verizon wireless is giving Disney+ away for free...I think.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
FYI for anyone who would be interested, Disney+ comes out today with a package of that, ESPN+ and Hulu w/adds for $13. That seems like a great deal, the only reason I'm hesitating is that I don't watch a ton of TV shows but that ESPN+ membership may sway me.

Don't mean to derail your post, but it's frightening when you realize how much of our consumption is produced by just 1 Corporation

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Spotify also has a deal with Hulu. I wonder if I can combine these things after I've already subscribed.

No, you are not:

"CAVEAT: If you have Hulu through Spotify or another unspecified promotion, you are not eligible for the credit/offer"

To add, if you want ad free Hulu, you have to sign up for ad free Hulu first and then apply for this promotion. You can get this package for $19 with ad free instead of $13, but you have to get Hulu ad free first.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
As previously mentioned, I have 2 kids so Walt already has me as his bitch, DPlus is just another leather strap.

So far a lot of users seem to be having connection concerns but I have not experienced that so far. We've used it on our Roku and my Android with no issue. Going to save The Mandalorian until a bit later when I can pay better attention but I may run something as some background noise this morning. Not sure if I'm going to pull up Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers or rewatch Gravity Falls again.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As previously mentioned, I have 2 kids so Walt already has me as his *****, DPlus is just another leather strap.

So far a lot of users seem to be having connection concerns but I have not experienced that so far. We've used it on our Roku and my Android with no issue. Going to save The Mandalorian until a bit later when I can pay better attention but I may run something as some background noise this morning. Not sure if I'm going to pull up Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers or rewatch Gravity Falls again.

You know the answer to that.

giphy.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Does that give you full sports? Or what does ESPN+ do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad