OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's probably not the biggest deal, especially on an electric. But I do the exact same thing FWIW.

Many years ago somebody told me that you want your electric to sound great unplugged, too. And I guess I took all that a little too seriously.
I’ve been mostly playing unplugged since I bought it since scales and picking exercises don’t need amped up.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I always practice unplugged, too. Actually I probably spend more time without the guitar plugged in than the other way around, come to think of it. It also keeps ya a little more honest.

Those studios have a nicer sound unplugged than most LPs, too. My first real guitar was a 95 LP Studio Lite I still have. Kind of a weird model as far as specs go but an amazing player. I've always had a huge soft spot for Studio models ever since.

The one in question is on the left. The other is my '16 Traditional T... which by crazy ass Gibson branding is essentially a Standard with some 50s specs here and there.

View media item 5921

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've always wanted to learn to play. I'm a lefty so for one, I tried to go to this place, long and mcquaid or whatever it's called. No one helped me. I don't even know what a left handed guitar looks like or what I should get to learn and grow with but not some cheap ass one.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always wanted to learn to play. I'm a lefty so for one, I tried to go to this place, long and mcquaid or whatever it's called. No one helped me. I don't even know what a left handed guitar looks like or what I should get to learn and grow with but not some cheap ass one.

Years ago trying to get a nice lefty was pretty difficult. You can string a righty upside down (like Hendrix and others) but this provides some awkwardness when it comes to control layouts and such. You also have to make some changes to the hardware like the bridge/saddles and the nut. And besides, when lefties are so much more common now (and not jacked up in price), why improvise? Here, this will give you an idea or two, hopefully:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c595--Left_handed_Electric_Guitars

I really dig that Tidepool Players Strat. That Epi LP and SG are slick, too. There is something about an upside down SG that seems so wrong but so right. The only thing that kinda sucks is it seems a bit more rare to try out lefty models in guitar shops. And I more or less always recommend actually picking the guitar up and trying it first. But Sweetwater (and other outlets online) are reputable and generally make doing business easy and painless. Sweetwater, in particular, has always been good to me.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh dang, I see them now. The pics weren't showing up on mobile. Good score, Jacob! (And nice Lesters, Willy!) I'd probably take them to P 'n' S if you're in the north, (otherwise Backstage or Southside should suit you fine just again because I've dealt with them since the mid 90s and they're always reliably good. I just hate putzing with truss rods and fret dressings because it's so... annoying. I'd rather pay someone else to sort that stuff out. I can deal with the electronics on my own. :laugh:

That said, I've only had one Gibby/Epiphone ever, and that was a temperamental Gibson Firebird V which had absolutely terrible pickups, so I sold it when I relocated to Europe. I'm now a strictly Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar dude, which are pretty forgiving as far as setups go.

Anyone remember Johnny B. Goode's in McKees rocks? That was my absolute favorite music store in my teenage years. I think they got flooded out in the early 2000s though and they went out of business. I bought a wonderful silverface late 60s Princeton Reverb there for like $150 that I stupidly sold because I wanted some solid state Crate amp (it had 200 watts!!!11!) for my then-punk band. :laugh: I'm an idiot.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Years ago trying to get a nice lefty was pretty difficult. You can string a righty upside down (like Hendrix and others) but this provides some awkwardness when it comes to control layouts and such. You also have to make some changes to the hardware like the bridge/saddles and the nut. And besides, when lefties are so much more common now (and not jacked up in price), why improvise? Here, this will give you an idea or two, hopefully:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c595--Left_handed_Electric_Guitars

I really dig that Tidepool Players Strat. That Epi LP and SG are slick, too. There is something about an upside down SG that seems so wrong but so right. The only thing that kinda sucks is it seems a bit more rare to try out lefty models in guitar shops. And I more or less always recommend actually picking the guitar up and trying it first. But Sweetwater (and other outlets online) are reputable and generally make doing business easy and painless. Sweetwater, in particular, has always been good to me.

Personally, I'd look into the lower-priced Epiphone and Squier budget lines. Those are some really really good guitars for not a lot of coin, perfect to learn on, because you can keep using them (I know a lot of professional touring musicians who use them), and they're legitimately better than a lot of "vintage" guitars from a playing perspective. Those Classic Vibe Squiers are great, and the Epiphone G-400/Les Paul standards are really quite good.

And I say this as a dude who loves vintage equipment.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, @Honour Over Glory, what kind of music do you want to play? That might help narrow down some options for your guitar search. I know we say you can play all kinds of music on any guitar, but there's some guitars that work better than others for some things-- Danelectros are great for retro/indie stuff, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to make them useful for metal, for example.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I was going to lay some good-natured teasing on all you wacky guitarists and your pickups and whatnot but then I realized that I could probably spend an hour easily trying to pick out what type of cymbal to add.

The answer is inevitably a China.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I was going to lay some good-natured teasing on all you wacky guitarists and your pickups and whatnot but then I realized that I could probably spend an hour easily trying to pick out what type of cymbal to add.

The answer is inevitably a China.

My drum machine is made in Sweden, actually. :naughty:

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh dang, I see them now. The pics weren't showing up on mobile. Good score, Jacob! (And nice Lesters, Willy!) I'd probably take them to P 'n' S if you're in the north, (otherwise Backstage or Southside should suit you fine just again because I've dealt with them since the mid 90s and they're always reliably good. I just hate putzing with truss rods and fret dressings because it's so... annoying. I'd rather pay someone else to sort that stuff out. I can deal with the electronics on my own. :laugh:

See I'm the other way around. I have lots of confidence about the setup stuff like truss rods, checking the neck, bridge/tailpiece, etc. But on electronics I'm dumb as a brick.

That said, I've only had one Gibby/Epiphone ever, and that was a temperamental Gibson Firebird V which had absolutely terrible pickups, so I sold it when I relocated to Europe. I'm now a strictly Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar dude, which are pretty forgiving as far as setups go.

I always dug how the Firebirds looked but never warmed up to those mini humbuckers, either. Now... maybe one with P90s... hmm....

And ALL Gibsons are temperamental. Ha.

Anyone remember Johnny B. Goode's in McKees rocks? That was my absolute favorite music store in my teenage years. I think they got flooded out in the early 2000s though and they went out of business. I bought a wonderful silverface late 60s Princeton Reverb there for like $150 that I stupidly sold because I wanted some solid state Crate amp (it had 200 watts!!!11!) for my then-punk band. :laugh: I'm an idiot.

All of my older band friends went there back in the day. It was like the larger version of Nick's Music from around here about the same timeframe.

And that literally hurts to read about that Princeton. Probably my favorite all-arounder amp.

Personally, I'd look into the lower-priced Epiphone and Squier budget lines. Those are some really really good guitars for not a lot of coin, perfect to learn on, because you can keep using them (I know a lot of professional touring musicians who use them), and they're legitimately better than a lot of "vintage" guitars from a playing perspective. Those Classic Vibe Squiers are great, and the Epiphone G-400/Les Paul standards are really quite good.

And I say this as a dude who loves vintage equipment.

That would be my first suggestion to almost anyone getting in on guitars, too. Particularly the Squier CV line. Holy shit those guitars are incredible. Like... not even "for the money" -- just incredible. I have a CV strat and a CV tele. I've played the tele in dozens of shows with zero issues. The strat is just as good I just don't really vibe with strats. I swear they sound just as nice as USA made Fenders or at least I can't tell the difference. I got both gently used for 400 TOTAL. And I play them all the time. I had long term plans to buy both a Fender tele and strat but I see no reason to spend the cash, now.

Oh and I saw at least one very nice BSB lefty CV tele on that Sweetwater link above.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, @BlindWillyMcHurt, if I hadn't had my Fenders (one MIJ 66RI Jazzmaster, and a beat up 2001 AVRI Jaguar that I restored over several years) for most of my musical life, I'd look real hard at those CV Squiers. As is, I'm pretty comfortable having just one main guitar and a back-up.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Damned automation putting good, hard-working percussionists out of business. Sure, you can rely on a machine to get a impeccably timed and sufficient meter but where's the HUMANITY?! Can a machine sulk about never getting their proper recognition in the hierarchy? Can a machine complain about wanting HIS chance at writing a song and then coming back with a boring dirge with poor allegory?! Can a machine hang with the bassist while the guitar lead and vocalist are off partying with fans? No. No it cannot.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Damned automation putting good, hard-working percussionists out of business. Sure, you can rely on a machine to get a impeccably timed and sufficient meter but where's the HUMANITY?! Can a machine sulk about never getting their proper recognition in the hierarchy? Can a machine complain about wanting HIS chance at writing a song and then coming back with a boring dirge with poor allegory?! Can a machine hang with the bassist while the guitar lead and vocalist are off partying with fans? No. No it cannot.

Yeah, but can you do bleeps and boops? :laugh:

I'd actually love to get a real drummer for this new project, but pickings are slimmer in Prague than elsewhere.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Nice. Elektron, I assume?

Honestly, @BlindWillyMcHurt, if I hadn't had my Fenders (one MIJ 66RI Jazzmaster, and a beat up 2001 AVRI Jaguar that I restored over several years) for most of my musical life, I'd look real hard at those CV Squiers. As is, I'm pretty comfortable having just one main guitar and a back-up.

Holy shit... that MIJ Jazz is an all-time keeper. Don't ever let that thing get away. Everyone who loves their Fender offsets swears by those things. Honestly I should probably look into a Jazzy, the more I think about it. Have never gone down that road. And like we are saying... with Squier upping their game so much, it's a good time to try.

I'm mostly a one guitar guy, too. A big reason I have so many electrics is the sheer amount of people I have come up to my little studio. I just like having options laying around that aren't bank-breaking but still nice players.

I know you are joking but nothing comes close to a real drummer. I have a few fun little drum machines but those are for a whole different kind of feel. The guy I usually play with is a wonderful cuckoo bird of a person, as most drummers are. He has a Roland electronic kit and a bunch of acoustic drums sort of mashed together in the same kit and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play with.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Yeah, but can you do bleeps and boops? :laugh:

Damn straight. Programmable drum pad on a stand behind the hi-hat. Easy peezy.

I actually haven't been a part of a band in a fairly long time. Got an offer recently to join a local polka band but unfortunately I've outgrown my lederhosen.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Teenage Engineering, actually. I've been fiddling around with their cheap-ass, but surprisingly robust drum machines lately. I'm still trying to find a good deal on an Elektron, but the prices never seem to come down on those f***ers.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Damn straight. Programmable drum pad on a stand behind the hi-hat. Easy peezy.

I actually haven't been a part of a band in a fairly long time. Got an offer recently to join a local polka band but unfortunately I've outgrown my lederhosen.

A true Slav polkas naked.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Teenage Engineering, actually. I've been fiddling around with their cheap-ass, but surprisingly robust drum machines lately. I'm still trying to find a good deal on an Elektron, but the prices never seem to come down on those ****ers.

Oh nice! Just as good. TO makes terrific, super creative stuff. A lot of people say the OP-1 is one of the best overall synths ever created. I have a PO33 (sampler) I really dig. Carry it around everywhere and make little lines on the fly using "found" samples with the built in mic. Honestly the thing sounds great. But I seem to run into issues syncing up more than 3 of 'em.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh nice! Just as good. TO makes terrific, super creative stuff. A lot of people say the OP-1 is one of the best overall synths ever created. I have a PO33 (sampler) I really dig. Carry it around everywhere and make little lines on the fly using "found" samples with the built in mic. Honestly the thing sounds great. But I seem to run into issues syncing up more than 3 of 'em.

Yeah, the U/X is simply terrible. I hate hate hate the internal sequencer, but at least it works. That said, they're probably the best cheap drum machines on the market now, given the Volca's similar syncing issues and lack of song mode.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I have some Volcas but more or less keep them in an isolated loop with other Volcas and my Minilogue so I dunno how well they get along with other gear. I've heard badly.

I keep circling back to some of Arturia's drum machine offerings but... I dunno... some of the demos make aspects of the overall kit sound kinda crappy.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I've always wanted to play guitar. All this talk just brought it up again. Any suggestions on best way to get started?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always wanted to play guitar. All this talk just brought it up again. Any suggestions on best way to get started?

Ha... I could probably talk about this all day so be careful what you ask for.

Man... these days with so many online resources and ability to get a ton for your money due to overseas manufacturing getting so much better... there really has never been a more opportune time to get into playing an instrument. I'm not much of a teacher and it's been so long since I started playing that it's all so reflexive now but I'd say one of the things that really changed me were concentrating hard on my rhythm and getting my right hand (or left if you are lefty) super, super solid. Practice with a metronome or a click... slowly at first and work your way up. Keep your guitar out and accessible and practice for even short stints on a day-to-day as opposed to pushing it all into a big power binge on the weekends or something. Don't hesitate learning songs you like... even if they are hard. It will teach you a lot and you will feel so much more accomplished afterward. And never, ever, ever give up. You are going to suck. Unless you are some sort of freaky musical prodigy... you are going to suck. But you won't always suck... you just have to keep pushing. It sounds fundamental but it's the thing that sinks people the fastest. The first few months can be so, so frustrating. But even small progress is progress and it absolutely all builds. There WILL be a eureka moment... you just have to steel yourself to get to it.

So many people tell me "I just can't do it -- I'm just not talented/smart/fast/good enough." Horseshit. EVERYONE can do this. Believe that.

As for gear... absolutely try to get to a good musical shop even if you have to travel a bit and try out a bunch of options. Some people say you have to start on an acoustic. I say that's a load of shit unless you WANT to play an acoustic. A lot of people say you should only spend a minimal amount of money on your first guitar. Again... horseshit. The last thing I'd ever want somebody just starting out doing is fighting with their piece of shit guitar every step of the way along with having to learn the material. If you have the means and feel inspired by that 1000 dollar guitar you picked up at the shop... buy it! It's all about what moves you. What makes you WANT to pick it up and play. That's half the battle. That said... like HSL and I were talking about above... a good place to start are mid to upper tier Epiphones and the Classic Vibe series by Squier. They are pro grade guitars at very reasonable prices and you are much, much more unlikely to get a lemon that you are constantly have to fight to get what you want out of it.

Acoustics are a little more straightforward. Just play a variety until you find one that is comfortable in your hands. I'm much less educated on acoustics (I only have a couple) but good brands to check out are Epiphone, Seagull and Yamaha -- they all make terrific acoustics that won't break the bank. The big hitters in that category are Gibson, Martin and Taylor. Along with some other smaller run boutique-ish brands, of course. But again... same applies... get what is comfortable and inspires you to play.

When it comes to electric guitars, if that is the route you want, you will absolutely need a decent amp, as well. At least to take full advantage of the whole experience. Everyone gets all caught up in "tonewoods" and other such nonsense with electric guitars but the main three components to a nice tone are the fingers, the pickups and the amp. That's it. This magic voodoo people talk about when it comes to this kind of wood being better than that kind of wood is largely navel gazing. It only makes a difference in appearance, IMO. So picking an amp will be a whole other thing. My personal opinion is that tube driven amps are still the nicest sounding but again... these days stuff is all so much nicer and more authentic on the solid state and modeling side that it just comes down to budget and preference. Here are a handful of suggestions tube and non-tube. Bear in mind that if the ability to play silently is a need you will want an amp with a headphone jack.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Crush35RTOR--orange-crush-35rt-35-watt-1x10-inch-combo-amp

Solid state. Straightforward rocker.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10C--yamaha-thr10c-10-watt-2x3-classic-modeling-combo

Solid state. More tailored towards modeling. More of a straight practice amp but still love these things for all applications. Just a useful piece of gear in general.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ior-iv-15-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-black

All tube (except rectifier) classic Fender tone in an affordable package. A go-to for many and I can see why. Multiple versions available. Dead simple and sounds great.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...1x12-inch-tube-combo-with-alnico-blue-speaker

In many ways similar to above but voiced instead for that chimey classic Vox tone. For all your Beatles-esque needs. I own one myself and have nothing but great things to say about it.

I hope some of that helps. Again... I know it sounds corny but for real... don't give up and keep pushing through. You'll be rewarded.

Reactions: Pens1566

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, @Honour Over Glory, what kind of music do you want to play? That might help narrow down some options for your guitar search. I know we say you can play all kinds of music on any guitar, but there's some guitars that work better than others for some things-- Danelectros are great for retro/indie stuff, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to make them useful for metal, for example.
I'm a big fan of The Heavy, Muse, Queen's of the stone age, Foo Fighters, etc.

So mostly rock etc. Does that help with narrowing it down and I appreciate the help, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad