OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And from the gamer world (catching up obviously), I am biiiiiiiiiiig fan of games that don't take a **** load of time. These open world games aren't possible when you have a life. Other great games that are playable in a short time:

- Portal (play both... amazing)
- Limbo (awesome)
- Little Nightmares

Stuff like that is amazing.
I miss games having levels like goldeneye and whatnot. Instead of a giant world, give me individual levels. I miss being able to just go replay my favorite levels trying to do better. And them taking like 10-20 minutes.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree only for the sake of time. These 100+ hour games are nuts. I'm glad they are there, but dude a 20 hour game is enough.
especially since most of those 100 hour games are like 70% filler with side quests, gather/crafting, and just plain walking. I like a well made world, but a lot of them are just big for the sake of being big. I only have a life like twice a week, but I still have trouble getting in to those kinds of games at this point. I really do enjoy the best of that bunch, but they are going to be like a once a year type of game for me.

Reactions: shoplifter

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Anyone know if these bobbleheads have any value? Won them from Mulligan's not too long ago and the only information I can find on them is that they seem to have been made for the charity bags at some point.

They have been selling at between around $20-40 each on eBay, as far as my 30 second internet investigation has found.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
And from the gamer world (catching up obviously), I am biiiiiiiiiiig fan of games that don't take a **** load of time. These open world games aren't possible when you have a life. Other great games that are playable in a short time:

- Limbo (awesome)
- Little Nightmares

If you like Limbo, the same developers made 'Inside'. Same kind of great side-scroller and highly recommend if you like Limbo.
Little Nightmares is a great game! It is such a fantastically creepy art style and equally creepy characters!

Yes, games are getting so incredibly long, which does make it increasingly difficult to play and complete them the older ya get. It is frustrating too because there re some incredible games out there and its nearly impossible to play them all.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I miss games having levels like goldeneye and whatnot. Instead of a giant world, give me individual levels. I miss being able to just go replay my favorite levels trying to do better. And them taking like 10-20 minutes.
Yeah. It is crazy developers and publishers think gaming is dead and they need to make games as a service and never ending. UHHH NO. Give me a great single player game for 20 some hours like old school PS1 PS2 days I can enjoy and move on from. Gaming is getting so ridiculous with these poisonous loot-box loon developers.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I've said it 10 trillion times. Batman/Joker are my 2 favorite characters of all time. They are the PERFECT duo. I am so excited for this Joker character. I cannot wait to see it.

What's it actually about?

His origin?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm no DC fan, but I am tentatively excited for the new Joker movie.

My dad who has no interest in the super hero movies (other than GotG) wants to see it.

Re: video games

I've been taking my Switch to WV during the week but haven't really been playing. I'm assuming it's because I don't have a dock there to play on the TV. I'll probably pack up my WiiU and leave it down there. I have so many games on that, including Breath of the Wild, that I need to complete.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My dad who has no interest in the super hero movies (other than GotG) wants to see it.

Re: video games

I've been taking my Switch to WV during the week but haven't really been playing. I'm assuming it's because I don't have a dock there to play on the TV. I'll probably pack up my WiiU and leave it down there. I have so many games on that, including Breath of the Wild, that I need to complete.
I've actually started taking my switch dock with me when I travel :laugh: Kind of defeats the purpose of portability, but I always feel like a schmuck sitting in front of a TV and playing it handheld. It's still smaller and lighter than most of the other consoles.

I've actually been playing through Fire Emblem Awakening on my 3DS lately. Now I have Three Houses sitting here and want to be done with Awakening :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What's it actually about?

His origin?

Yeah. Sort of just a different take on how he turned into the Joker. I know a lot of people love the idea of Joker's origin being a question mark. Ledger did that perfect by telling people different ways every single time how he got his scars. So teh origin story of Joker has been a guess. Taking on the role of doing an origin story is a hefty task but the trailers look to have done so very well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah. Sort of just a different take on how he turned into the Joker. I know a lot of people love the idea of Joker's origin being a question mark. Ledger did that perfect by telling people different ways every single time how he got his scars. So teh origin story of Joker has been a guess. Taking on the role of doing an origin story is a hefty task but the trailers look to have done so very well.
And as far as I know, it's a one-off movie right? Like, it's the story of how someone could become the joker, but it's not setting up any future movies with Phoenix as Joker is it? So it can just be a self contained story.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And as far as I know, it's a one-off movie right? Like, it's the story of how someone could become the joker, but it's not setting up any future movies with Phoenix as Joker is it? So it can just be a self contained story.

I'm not great with how these Marvel/DC things work but I was listening to a little podcast and DCEU (extended universe) is doing the film. 55m budget, which it will f***ing SMASH. But this is 100% supposed to be a one-off and I believe I even read it doesn't mean it's definitively the origin story of the joker.

So definitely a one-off.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

- Limbo (awesome)
- Little Nightmares

Pfft who needs a life when you have Morrowind.

Oh wait. Me, because my computer that runs Morrowind is currently broken :(

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
yeah that's exactly the kind I'm talking about. I love the idea of that game, but there's no way it would ever hold my interest long enough to finish it. I don't have that kind of attention span.

Some of the Trophies would be such a ball-ache to do as well, surely. I've gotten a lot of the Arcade on CTR done but I CBA doing the rest at the moment. I'd probably try again some point.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah like rdr2, I think I've had that game almost year now and I'm still at 35% completion.
That is on my list, but Im not going out of my way to play it. Games like GTA 6 or Cyber Punk 2077 or Witcher 4 (games not even out yet and only CP2077 officially exists - but I would go out of my way to play and finish (certain) those games asap.

I'm re-going at Cities Skylines as oftoday with the newest expamsion -Campus- because I have this weird enjoyment of playing games I already played and are comfortable with,but the games feel new because it hasnt been played in so long.

Who said they were playing Portal, @ColePens?See, now that game is incredible, both 1 and 2 and have an immense desireto play them again because they are just brilliantly designed games that are so creative and origianl, but above all that, they are just so fun and easy to play and enjoy. Well.. I guess if you are puzzle inclined and do not struggle solving each puzzle to the point that the game is not fun, but tediously difficult that the game is no longer fun, but a chore to play rendering them game not at all fun and feels more like a work assignment.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
yeah that's exactly the kind I'm talking about. I love the idea of that game, but there's no way it would ever hold my interest long enough to finish it. I don't have that kind of attention span.
Really? You dont have the attention span to play and finish a game? So Im curious what happens when you turn it on and try to play? Does your mind start losing itself and pulls you away?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Some games I get it though. Like Skyrim’s cool and all and has a ton of stuff to do, but honestly, I haven’t played it for a year because there’s too much to do, and not enough interesting combat or story to keep me hooked.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's not an attention span thing for me.

I just know I'll want to keep playing.

The problem with 100+ hour/open-ended (RPG style especially) games is....they require as much time as your REAL life.

If you play Skyrim, Fallout, RDR, etc, properly, you will need to put your own life on pause and live the life of the game.

It's hard for me to want to start knowing I will have a 14 hour day of gaming ahead, lol. There's always another mission or easter egg to find...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Some games I get it though. Like Skyrim’s cool and all and has a ton of stuff to do, but honestly, I haven’t played it for a year because there’s too much to do, and not enough interesting combat or story to keep me hooked.

It was the worst elder scrolls in those regards.
It would be half as successful without the modding community without a doubt.
For me I lost my saves with probably over 1,000 hours over the years. That means I will never play again to reclaim what Ive lost. Downloading save files doesnt even matter.

MGS V is a sleeper hit for me. The longevity within that game is just incredible. Not a long to finish game, but just so much replay-ability. So fun!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's not an attention span thing for me.

I just know I'll want to keep playing.

The problem with 100+ hour/open-ended (RPG style especially) games is....they require as much time as your REAL life.

If you play Skyrim, Fallout, RDR, etc, properly, you will need to put your own life on pause and live the life of the game.

It's hard for me to want to start knowing I will have a 14 hour day of gaming ahead, lol. There's always another mission or easter egg to find...

There are only a few truly open ended games I can tolerate. For me they NEED Witcher style guidance or structure. Games just end up being a mess when they are truly open.

In my memory GTA 3 started the truly wide-open open ended gameplay and every game there after are trying to mimic that game. Not all games work that way, but developers want that GTA success. It just does not work for a lot of games that use that formula.

EDIT:

Hell, even ZELDA went to open-ended game-play!

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I played Skyrim non-stop for about two weeks then felt like I'd seen the gist of it.

Its why I still hold Morrowind above all such games. There's just so many different parts to it and so much crazy new stuff.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I played Skyrim non-stop for about two weeks then felt like I'd seen the gist of it.

Its why I still hold Morrowind above all such games. There's just so many different parts to it and so much crazy new stuff.

Morrowind: The Last Great ES Game. Before the series went for the casual crowd to maximize sales. Same with Fallout. Bethesda needs a reinvention.

I put so many hours into Skyrim because I was deployed a whole year when that game was released so all I had was Skyrim and Minecraft. Two great time sinks for a deployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad