OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Morrowind: The Last Great ES Game. Before the series went for the casual crowd to maximize sales. Same with Fallout. Bethesda needs a reinvention.

I put so many hours into Skyrim because I was deployed a whole year when that game was released so all I had was Skyrim and Minecraft. Two great time sinks for a deployment.

I found an oral history from the developers of Morrowind the other day. Sounded like an absolutely mental time - nobody sure what they were doing, company maybe going bust, very little oversight. So the just went for it and threw everything at it. One of the concept artists would sometimes draw two pieces for an idea if he thought he wouldn't get it past people - one absolutely mental one which he'd show first, then a little later he'd show them the second which contained what he actually wanted.

Guessing its a lot more formal now. And, aye, a lot more directed to an accessible experience.

Reactions: shoplifter

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Really? You dont have the attention span to play and finish a game? So Im curious what happens when you turn it on and try to play? Does your mind start losing itself and pulls you away?
It depends on the game. Good games will always have me interested in the next thing I'm going to do. If they don't, I'll likely stop playing the game pretty quickly. The thought of doing 100 side quests with boring travel across a giant world and a bad combat system doesn't interest me. So I'll start a game like Skyrim or Fallout 3/4 because the idea of it sounds great. But to answer your question, when it's time to turn it on that next time, I'll realize I don't want to do the next thing I need to do so I simply don't turn it on. I'll play Rocket League or League of Legends instead. And all of this filler type stuff is made worse by me being a completionist. If you give me a side quest, I'm not skipping it. But I'm also not going to keep doing boring side quests. So I just quit playing the game all-together instead.

Now take Zelda Breath of the Wild. I loved every second of playing that game. The difference is that traveling around the world was an enjoyable experience itself. I'm loving Prey too. It's an open world, but the world is small enough and well designed that I'm always interested in the next place I'm going. Everything is put in the world carefully so it never feels like I'm playing filler content even for the side quests. I'm actually interested in the things I'm doing.

So I'm not all-together against open world games, but they need to be very well made to keep my interest. On the other hand, something like Celeste is just non-stop fun gameplay from one level to the next. I love that style because it doesn't waste my time doing things I don't like. It doesn't need to be a ton of action. I remember playing Tenchu Stealth Assassins over and over. You could just turn it on and replay a level trying for a better run. It was a slow paced game, but none of it was filler.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I found an oral history from the developers of Morrowind the other day. Sounded like an absolutely mental time - nobody sure what they were doing, company maybe going bust, very little oversight. So the just went for it and threw everything at it. One of the concept artists would sometimes draw two pieces for an idea if he thought he wouldn't get it past people - one absolutely mental one which he'd show first, then a little later he'd show them the second which contained what he actually wanted.

Guessing its a lot more formal now. And, aye, a lot more directed to an accessible experience.

Explains the gigantic mushroom backgrounds, lol.
I'll forever remember the rat that would kill me at the beginning of the game and having to run away. The boneheaded wizard who falls from the sky (at the beginning) cuz of his flying spell, lol.
And the knight that was around level 50 guarding the bridge that resembeled the black knight from Holy Grail, 'NONE SHALL PASS', 'what?', 'NONE SHALL PASS', lol.
3 harrowing experiences in the first few minutes of the game.

Reactions: Peat

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm going to watch The Secret Life of Pets 2 today and I don't give a **** what you all think :D
Its a rainy holiday, yay, Im delighted!

That means the knuckle-heads wont mow and weed-whack all day long in subsequent order so its just one long loud mowing noise all day. I swear Id run for Mayor with a mandate that I would ban sub-sequential yard work on weekends. I would impose a ban of yard work outside of noon to six or noon to four pm.
I say it every year and it still drives me crazy. The idiots wait til a neighbor finishes mowing before they start so its just constant loud mowing sounds the _entire_ day light on weekends and it ruins the tranquility of the weekends. DO IT AT THE SAME TIME YOU HEATHENS!

I have to look forward to rainy weekends like today to emjoy peace and quite.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My nose is so log jammed with unblowable substance. It is to the point i Cant breath out my nose and cant blow it and it is so bad its giving me panic attacks. I just started getting these things with feelings of intense dread where I get really scared, its the most crazy f***ing feelimg and I DO NOT like it at all.

It is to the point I had to go to the doctors and I only go there once a decade in worst case scenarios. So I got lorazepam (ativan) they work well, but they also cause time-traveling where hours go by and I can't recall a damn thing. I only have `12 more and don't want more becaues of the time-travel, anyone on anything for panic style anxiety that works good?

Can pm me if don't wish to openly discuss personal stuff like that, but I don't mind saying it openly, I have no shameas it can actually be a terrifying feeling. I never understood how people felt that got them (attacks) now I know and feel bad for people who live their whole lives with that feeling of dread.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Explains the gigantic mushroom backgrounds, lol.
I'll forever remember the rat that would kill me at the beginning of the game and having to run away. The boneheaded wizard who falls from the sky (at the beginning) cuz of his flying spell, lol.
And the knight that was around level 50 guarding the bridge that resembeled the black knight from Holy Grail, 'NONE SHALL PASS', 'what?', 'NONE SHALL PASS', lol.
3 harrowing experiences in the first few minutes of the game.

I don't think I even found that knight. I still remember the first time one of those flying things attacked me - I was all "WHAT IS HAPPENING".

Re that wizard - easier to quote directly:

"I was messing with the physics system, and I was cracking myself up because I could script a guy standing on this invisible platform up in the air, and within a certain range I could make it disappear, and he would fall to the ground and die. We’d been working a lot, so I may have just been very tired at the time, but I was laughing hysterically about it. It was just making me insanely happy doing this stupid thing over and over and over again.
So eventually I spent a couple hours just working on that guy, and throwing a couple scrolls in his pocket to explain how he had gotten up that high, and I threw maybe a note in his pocket as well."

And this one from Ken Rolston kinda echoes what you've been saying - "in many ways, I think Morrowind is to Moby Dick as Oblivion is to the movie Titanic."

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't think I even found that knight. I still remember the first time one of those flying things attacked me - I was all "WHAT IS HAPPENING".

Re that wizard - easier to quote directly:

"I was messing with the physics system, and I was cracking myself up because I could script a guy standing on this invisible platform up in the air, and within a certain range I could make it disappear, and he would fall to the ground and die. We’d been working a lot, so I may have just been very tired at the time, but I was laughing hysterically about it. It was just making me insanely happy doing this stupid thing over and over and over again.
So eventually I spent a couple hours just working on that guy, and throwing a couple scrolls in his pocket to explain how he had gotten up that high, and I threw maybe a note in his pocket as well."

And this one from Ken Rolston kinda echoes what you've been saying - "in many ways, I think Morrowind is to Moby Dick as Oblivion is to the movie Titanic."
Too funny. Where you find that stuff? Behind the scenes or making of stuff?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Its a rainy holiday, yay, Im delighted!

That means the knuckle-heads wont mow and weed-whack all day long in subsequent order so its just one long loud mowing noise all day. I swear Id run for Mayor with a mandate that I would ban sub-sequential yard work on weekends. I would impose a ban of yard work outside of noon to six or noon to four pm.
I say it every year and it still drives me crazy. The idiots wait til a neighbor finishes mowing before they start so its just constant loud mowing sounds the _entire_ day light on weekends and it ruins the tranquility of the weekends. DO IT AT THE SAME TIME YOU HEATHENS!

I have to look forward to rainy weekends like today to emjoy peace and quite.
:laugh:

I was complaining about the same thing this Summer. It's like they secretly plan out a mowing order so that there's only a 15 minute gap, just long enough for you to get your hopes up. It feels like a comedy skit some times. You wait through 4 grass cuttings, you pour a drink, go outside with a book or something to relax, and then someone's kid starts screaming bloody murder and carrys on for the next hour. :laugh:

Especially on holidays. Maybe some of us would like to relax outside without the constant droning of lawn equipment. It's like, hey buddy relax I promise you that no one cares if your grass grows for a couple of days.

You also have the guys who are obsessed and will cut constantly just to put the lines in the grass. It has gotten to the point where if I go outside and there's no noise then it feels foreign and I begin to get concerned.

I should probably just move to the country.:help:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Well if we're all bragging, I'll be driving my car at Laguna Seca tomorrow. Vrrrroooom. Lol.
20190902_115915.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That sounds awesome man. Care to discuss?

Afters years of struggling with health problems in a completely and hopelessly broken system I finally got the help I so desperately needed for so long and I reached a fork in the road where my options were either a.) accept that I'm going to be treated like a parasite for the rest of my life because I can't work a normal job and accept that I must do what I must to maintain the level of care that I'm getting despite the toll that it takes on my mental health and remain in perpetual unemployment or b.) find a shot and take it in the hopes that it works out well enough that I can create a way for me to survive without being a shut-in while realizing that I could lose my health care and not make enough to pay for a similar level of care.

I'm taking my shot. I'm tired of being a negative person, I'm tired of being angry, I'm sick of my back fusing together in an absurdly painful manner being treated like some sort of character flaw, and I'm tired of being called lazy by people with no f***ing understand of how chronic illnesses work, nevermind having multiple chronic pain-causing autoimmune disorders that literally mean that nobody hates me more than my own body does. If I fail at least I'll go down in a blaze of glory first. If I succeed I hope I can inspire others and raise awareness about invisible illnesses and chronic conditions.

Without going into a dissertation about what is wrong with me I'll just jump into the more fun side: what I'll be doing. I've always loved travel and when I recognized that I desperately needed to get away for a while for my own mental health I started searching for advice for traveling with my worsening ailments and I found almost nothing. The advice I found was either geared towards the elderly or fully disabled. I did a ton of research and most of what I found was so difficult to find or surprising that it could not only help someone like me, but anyone who wants to travel but doesn't have the time or patience to do an absurd amount of research. Travel is a real-time logic puzzle in the sense that so much of it is about how you respond to the unexpected or unfamiliar. You have to be able to think on your feet in order to get the most out of travel and that's something I've not only done well in the past, but the best memories I have of my travel history (I'm starting off with 38 states, 4 provinces, and 15-17 countries I've been to) almost all come from completely unexpected situations, and I think I know how to work this all together in a way that can relieve a lot of the stresses that people experience while traveling. I'm a unilingual introvert with health problems that make it difficult to leave the house, but I've only ever felt comfortable in my own skin while traveling and connecting with others. My favorite memories almost all involve unexpected side-effects of travel, be it the amazing weekend I had in Québec City with a Dutch girl and Aussie mate who I met in the last hostel I'll likely ever stay at, the time I climbed a mountain in Andorra because I would have done anything to get away from my travel partner at the time, learning the Prague streetcar system so I could sit amongst the visitors fan section during a hockey game with 4 people who had never seen hockey before in their lives, or running from a Finnish sauna and doing snow angels in meter-deep snow to close out the only good year of the first 31 of my life. Finding that balance of planning and spontaneity is the difference between travel being a life-affirming experience and being a miserable headache. I was in free fall mode for years just waiting to hit rock bottom and I finally reached that point where I completely ran out of f***s to give. There's so much I want to experience that I've been told I never will because of my problems and I say to hell with that.

This trip of mine is a really weird Frankenstein's monster of a vacation thanks to it not starting out as anything bigger than self-care at first. In my initial research I came across the existence of repositioning cruises and found one that was both an incredible deal and had a near-perfect itinerary for me. I'm terrified of water and suffer from a bit of vertigo...but this is all about conquering fears for me. I'm going on a 16 night transpacific cruise departing from Vancouver that'll end up in Yokohama (Tokyo) with stops in Sitka (AK), Otaru, & Hakodate (both in Hokkaidō, Japan). Since I'm already going to be in Japan, my health has improved under new treatments, and I saw a chance to turn this into something bigger I decided that I'd double-up on massive journeys and spend a couple weeks in Japan, too. I can't imagine doing another trip this big, the logistics of it are a nightmare and I'm going to have to have a couple shots with me that require being maintained within a narrow temperature range, but...10+ hour flights aren't exactly easy for someone with my conditions (most people with my back problem just outright refuse to fly) so I'm going to try to cram in as much as I possibly can while acknowledging that I'm going to have days where my body isn't going to allow me to leave my room.

I adore train travel, so the Shinkansen has been on my bucket list since middle school. I got a JR Rail Pass and will be setting up shop in a couple cities and using that to take day trips. Not a ton of my Japan trip is planned out, but I have a solid years' worth of ideas that'll allow me to be flexible. The part that is planned is ending in Hokkaidō so I can appreciate the changing of seasons for the first time since 2011 and spend a couple days in an onsen town where the water is supposedly therapeutic for people with my issues.

I don't speak Japanese, the only person I know in Japan hasn't used their social media in 6 years, I'm going solo, and I won't even be on my own in Japan until my 19th day of solo travel. I can't deny that I'm nervous beyond belief, I'm going all-in with a pair of 7s, but the upside so greatly dwarfs the downside that I have to try. I hit rock bottom and ran out of f***s to give, which is the only way anyone could possibly justify going on a 35 day-long trip without proper funding. This is my gambit. My one remaining shot. I've suffered too much for too long to go down without a fight.

Anyway, that was way too long of a response...
9.4 -> Flying to Vancouver
9.6 - > Cruise begins
9.9 -> Sitka, Alaska
9.18 -> Otaru
9.19 -> Hakodate
9.21 -> Tokyo
??? -> Osaka/Kyoto/whatever my body lets me do
10.4 -> Noboribetsu
10.6 -> Sapporo
10.8 -> Fly home

Gonna use that absurdly long time on the open ocean to learn how to do a lot of the technical side of things and hopefully begin breaking out of my shell. Oh, and I guess I never explicitly said that I'm starting a travel vlog/blog. I don't know when it'll fully launch, but at the very least I'll have to start using social media to post pictures as I go on (@fragiletraveler on Instagram).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
well that's all exciting and terrifying and everything else really. I definitely take my relatively good health for granted. As someone who has never done much traveling that sounds like the general style of traveling I'd like. Having a strict plan every day doesn't sound fun to me, but meeting people and just letting life happen at these places would be great. That said, I've never really tried it. I've never prioritized saving money for travel over just doing smaller things that I enjoy. But that means I've never left the country, and I've never taken more than a weekend vacation that wasn't to visit and stay with family. Hell, even weekends have all been to places like New Jersey or Ohio for a specific purpose. We planned a 5 day trip to the keys a couple years ago but it got cancelled thanks to a hurricane. I honestly can't even wrap my head around the idea of traveling for a month. Good on you for going for it, I wish you the best.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Afters years of struggling with health problems in a completely and hopelessly broken system I finally got the help I so desperately needed for so long and I reached a fork in the road where my options were either a.) accept that I'm going to be treated like a parasite for the rest of my life because I can't work a normal job and accept that I must do what I must to maintain the level of care that I'm getting despite the toll that it takes on my mental health and remain in perpetual unemployment or b.) find a shot and take it in the hopes that it works out well enough that I can create a way for me to survive without being a shut-in while realizing that I could lose my health care and not make enough to pay for a similar level of care.

I'm taking my shot. I'm tired of being a negative person, I'm tired of being angry, I'm sick of my back fusing together in an absurdly painful manner being treated like some sort of character flaw, and I'm tired of being called lazy by people with no ****ing understand of how chronic illnesses work, nevermind having multiple chronic pain-causing autoimmune disorders that literally mean that nobody hates me more than my own body does. If I fail at least I'll go down in a blaze of glory first. If I succeed I hope I can inspire others and raise awareness about invisible illnesses and chronic conditions.

Without going into a dissertation about what is wrong with me I'll just jump into the more fun side: what I'll be doing. I've always loved travel and when I recognized that I desperately needed to get away for a while for my own mental health I started searching for advice for traveling with my worsening ailments and I found almost nothing. The advice I found was either geared towards the elderly or fully disabled. I did a ton of research and most of what I found was so difficult to find or surprising that it could not only help someone like me, but anyone who wants to travel but doesn't have the time or patience to do an absurd amount of research. Travel is a real-time logic puzzle in the sense that so much of it is about how you respond to the unexpected or unfamiliar. You have to be able to think on your feet in order to get the most out of travel and that's something I've not only done well in the past, but the best memories I have of my travel history (I'm starting off with 38 states, 4 provinces, and 15-17 countries I've been to) almost all come from completely unexpected situations, and I think I know how to work this all together in a way that can relieve a lot of the stresses that people experience while traveling. I'm a unilingual introvert with health problems that make it difficult to leave the house, but I've only ever felt comfortable in my own skin while traveling and connecting with others. My favorite memories almost all involve unexpected side-effects of travel, be it the amazing weekend I had in Québec City with a Dutch girl and Aussie mate who I met in the last hostel I'll likely ever stay at, the time I climbed a mountain in Andorra because I would have done anything to get away from my travel partner at the time, learning the Prague streetcar system so I could sit amongst the visitors fan section during a hockey game with 4 people who had never seen hockey before in their lives, or running from a Finnish sauna and doing snow angels in meter-deep snow to close out the only good year of the first 31 of my life. Finding that balance of planning and spontaneity is the difference between travel being a life-affirming experience and being a miserable headache. I was in free fall mode for years just waiting to hit rock bottom and I finally reached that point where I completely ran out of ****s to give. There's so much I want to experience that I've been told I never will because of my problems and I say to hell with that.

This trip of mine is a really weird Frankenstein's monster of a vacation thanks to it not starting out as anything bigger than self-care at first. In my initial research I came across the existence of repositioning cruises and found one that was both an incredible deal and had a near-perfect itinerary for me. I'm terrified of water and suffer from a bit of vertigo...but this is all about conquering fears for me. I'm going on a 16 night transpacific cruise departing from Vancouver that'll end up in Yokohama (Tokyo) with stops in Sitka (AK), Otaru, & Hakodate (both in Hokkaidō, Japan). Since I'm already going to be in Japan, my health has improved under new treatments, and I saw a chance to turn this into something bigger I decided that I'd double-up on massive journeys and spend a couple weeks in Japan, too. I can't imagine doing another trip this big, the logistics of it are a nightmare and I'm going to have to have a couple shots with me that require being maintained within a narrow temperature range, but...10+ hour flights aren't exactly easy for someone with my conditions (most people with my back problem just outright refuse to fly) so I'm going to try to cram in as much as I possibly can while acknowledging that I'm going to have days where my body isn't going to allow me to leave my room.

I adore train travel, so the Shinkansen has been on my bucket list since middle school. I got a JR Rail Pass and will be setting up shop in a couple cities and using that to take day trips. Not a ton of my Japan trip is planned out, but I have a solid years' worth of ideas that'll allow me to be flexible. The part that is planned is ending in Hokkaidō so I can appreciate the changing of seasons for the first time since 2011 and spend a couple days in an onsen town where the water is supposedly therapeutic for people with my issues.

I don't speak Japanese, the only person I know in Japan hasn't used their social media in 6 years, I'm going solo, and I won't even be on my own in Japan until my 19th day of solo travel. I can't deny that I'm nervous beyond belief, I'm going all-in with a pair of 7s, but the upside so greatly dwarfs the downside that I have to try. I hit rock bottom and ran out of ****s to give, which is the only way anyone could possibly justify going on a 35 day-long trip without proper funding. This is my gambit. My one remaining shot. I've suffered too much for too long to go down without a fight.

Anyway, that was way too long of a response...
9.4 -> Flying to Vancouver
9.6 - > Cruise begins
9.9 -> Sitka, Alaska
9.18 -> Otaru
9.19 -> Hakodate
9.21 -> Tokyo
??? -> Osaka/Kyoto/whatever my body lets me do
10.4 -> Noboribetsu
10.6 -> Sapporo
10.8 -> Fly home

Gonna use that absurdly long time on the open ocean to learn how to do a lot of the technical side of things and hopefully begin breaking out of my shell. Oh, and I guess I never explicitly said that I'm starting a travel vlog/blog. I don't know when it'll fully launch, but at the very least I'll have to start using social media to post pictures as I go on (@fragiletraveler on Instagram).
Wow, that is a post and a half Big :heart:

I wish you nothing but a fantastic, healthy and fulfilling holiday :D

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Really? You dont have the attention span to play and finish a game? So Im curious what happens when you turn it on and try to play? Does your mind start losing itself and pulls you away?
I turn into Pixies and start getting erections to Jack Johnson images. It's alarming.

I don't know why I pick on Pixies. I actually have no issues with the dude.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I turn into Pixies and start getting erections to Jack Johnson images. It's alarming.

I don't know why I pick on Pixies. I actually have no issues with the dude.

Kind of difficult to truly dislike a poster and avatar not really actually knowing them. Although I do attract towards posters views and discussions over others at times.
When I first joined here I was under threat of ban daily because I'd always take the less popular opinion and end up fighting everyone off like a pack of hyena's.

My typing has been jacked because i have to use my right ring finger to type, my index and middle are injured I may appear stinko at times - i am not - I gave up drinking for awhile. Probably when fall / winter season too cold to go outside depression season7 kicks in the drinking will start up again.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->