News Article: Sather on Mcdonagh "I'd never seen him play"

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
And he didn't. Completely useless signing that took $4M/per off the cap and took up a roster spot. And just as easy as it is for you to say "what if" a great playoff. I can "what if" Price didn't go into God mode all season and we finished at the bottom? That Briere signing would look even worse.

Would all that be Briere's fault? A year ago we didn't have the power of Hindsight like we do now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A historical refresher:

- Gainey tried to acquire Mats Sundin, and failed twice. First he failed to acquire him at the 2008 trade deadline for I forget which package, then he traded Grabovski for the negotiating rights to Sundin and Sundin chose to go to Vancouver.
- Gainey tried to acquire Vincent Lecavalier. He offered a package at the time of Plekanec, Higgins, Gorges, Subban and three 1st rounders, I think the 1st round picks were 2009, 2011, and 2013. The Lightning would have ended up with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nathan MacKinnon.
- In the 2009 NHL entry draft, Gainey went drunk on drafting centres. An unprecedented five of the eight draft picks were centres, including Louis Leblanc in the 1st round, Joonas Nattinen in the 3rd round, Gabriel Dumont in the 5th round, Dustin Walsh in the 6th round, and Mike Cichy in the 7th round, all busts.
- In the summer of 2009, Gainey went drunk acquiring "project players" who could maybe one day become NHL centres. He got Detroit castoff Mikael Johansson and undrafted centre Andreas Engvist.

So it makes sense that Gainey would overpay for Scott Gomez. He was in an emotionally psychotic zone where he was compelled to do whatever it takes to acquire a centre.

Once Pierre Gauthier took over, things calmed down mostly. The only major centre acquisitions was that of Lars Eller.

Don't know if this is true because Grabovski was traded for Pateryn. Doubt he offered up that much for Lecavalier. Gainey made an offer but giving up that much is Pejorative Slured

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
For those of you saying move on... forget about it. The hockey world is not going to let us forget this trade until McD retires or moves on from NY. That's how it is so get used to it.
The "hockey world" has moved on a looong time ago. Amateurs linger aimlessly about the past; professionals deal with the hand they got. Not only in hockey, but in anything else.

(Some) fans haven't moved on. That I (or you) should acknowledge their insecurities is a personnal decision.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Don't know if this is true because Grabovski was traded for Pateryn. Doubt he offered up that much for Lecavalier. Gainey made an offer but giving up that much is Pejorative Slured

Pretty sure that proposal is what TB wanted for Lecavaliaer, not what we offered them.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The "hockey world" has moved on a looong time ago. Amateurs linger aimlessly about the past; professionals deal with the hand they got. Not only in hockey, but in anything else.

(Some) fans haven't moved on. That I (or you) should acknowledge their insecurities is a personnal decision.
Yup.

See you in the next McD thread that should pop up oh... next time we play the Rangers. :)

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Yup.

See you in the next McD thread that should pop up oh... next time we play the Rangers. :)

If people are still *****ing about Chelios after we won a cup..

and if people are *****ing about the Iginla for Nieuwendyk trade Gainey made...

You can be sure that people will ***** about the McDo trade for a generation.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
There is no defending the Briere signing. That was a terrible decision. Bergy is odd in the sense that he'll nickel and dime certain players (which I don't have a problem with) but will pay through the nose for others. My issue is he nickel and dimed the wrong player.

What would this place look like if he nickel and dimed Price? He didn't. IMO, you don't nickel and dime your best players and that's exactly what he did with PK. I understand it's a negotiation, but that doesn't mean you try to fleece your star players.

You nickel and dime UFAs and low end players.

Yeah except Bergevin didn't "Nickel and Dime" Subban. Subban wanted a long term contract in the range 6 million dollars per year, and MB wasn't ready to cash in on Subban at the time. Instead, Bergevin wanted the bridge deal of 2 million in 2012-2013, and 3.75 million in 2013-2014. It's not like Subban was asking for 6 million over 2 years, and Bergevin refused and took Subban unsigned past training camp because he would rather save $250,000. That would have been "nickel and diming". MB was a rookie GM coming to a new organization, and I don't blame him for not handing out that contract to a young Subban. It would have saved us millions of dollars and of course looking back I would have rather signed him long term, but I don't hold it against MB at all. He was playing it safe, and did his job.

What the situation actually was, was two negotiating sides being very far apart on their proposals, and one side giving in to the others offer in order to play hockey. There was none of this "nickel and diming" you're talking about. Both sides wanted completely different things, and MB's side won the negotiation because he had more leverage.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah except Bergevin didn't "Nickel and Dime" Subban. Subban wanted a long term contract in the range 6 million dollars per year, and MB wasn't ready to cash in on Subban at the time. Instead, Bergevin wanted the bridge deal of 2 million in 2012-2013, and 3.75 million in 2013-2014. It's not like Subban was asking for 6 million over 2 years, and Bergevin refused and took Subban unsigned past training camp because he would rather save $250,000. That would have been "nickel and diming". MB was a rookie GM coming to a new organization, and I don't blame him for not handing out that contract to a young Subban. It would have saved us millions of dollars and of course looking back I would have rather signed him long term, but I don't hold it against MB at all. He was playing it safe, and did his job.

What the situation actually was, was two negotiating sides being very far apart on their proposals, and one side giving in to the others offer in order to play hockey. There was none of this "nickel and diming" you're talking about. Both sides wanted completely different things, and MB's side won the negotiation because he had more leverage.
Put this in the Subban thread.

Also, you're wrong about the "nickel and diming" thing...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Gauthier must have been a spy to destroy the Habs. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Neither GMs probably knew the player and he's just thrown away like that in a trade. Hell it's probably Goat that suggested McDo.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Why? It didn't happen? See, I just took it for what it was. I said that Gauthier got us a 1st rounder. Which is also not true...but you didn't mention it. End-result is that for the 1st rounder and 4th he got us....we traded a 1st and 2nd. So the reality is that for the swap cost us a 2nd rounder. I'm fine with that if it made us got a great player. I'm not saying he shouldn't. Just saying that people talk about Gauthier's and his picks as if he never gave them and only received it. Remove that Tinordi move if you want. It's still not as clear cut as Gauthier got everything and never gave away anything.

The fact you can't tell the difference shows how biased you are.

If you want to be pedantic, which you do, realize that not all second rounders are equal. I'll take a 35th overall over a 52nd overall.

Why don't you take the harmonic sums?

Tinordi trade,
22nd, 113th for 27th, 57th, the harmonic sums suggest both are equal to an 18th overall in value (18.32 and 18.41), it's a wash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad