GDT: Sat Feb 6 Pens vs Isles 7PMest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Isles have had time off also. And they've lost five in a row. They're due. Hope not, but I wouldn't bet on the Pens tonight. Hope I'm wrong.

if we lose, we just better not lose in regulation...we can’t afford any more of these 4 point swing games, especially with so many other teams in the division playing 3 point games

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I hope this time off helped this team get their head out of their ass.

Scared it does the exact opposite but will see. Definitely feel a little better knowing Letang, Marino, and Matheson are going to play. If I had to see those scrubs on the 3rd pairing give up half the goals again I might of had to turn off the game.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Mercifully I have to work for this one.

Hopefully Matheson plays well.

That is my biggest hope also. If Matheson starts playing well this team is going to be very strong on defense. His skating can really change a game unfortunately so can his turnovers. If we get that part fixed up I really do think he can be a huge asset. Big boom or bust trade and I am still holding out hope for it being the boom.:cheers:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That is my biggest hope also. If Matheson starts playing well this team is going to be very strong on defense. His skating can really change a game unfortunately so can his turnovers. If we get that part fixed up I really do think he can be a huge asset. Big boom or bust trade and I am still holding out hope for it being the boom.:cheers:

I mean they are more or less kinda stuck with him, now. And his skillset has an intriguingly high celling... meaning if he can even fulfill like 70% of it he'll still be a very good player, here.

So we might as well hope he figures it out. Or at least mostly figures it out. I'm not sure why we're all so sure he won't. I mean... aside from being coached by Todd Reirden and Dan B... er... Mike Sullivan, of course.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I know his contract blows and his past is mixed performance-wise but I really do think it's weird we've basically decided that MM is irredeemably awful in a game and a half.

That is just the negative half of us. The rest see his talent and know he has a chance and more than "so your saying there is a chance". Honestly with Matheson's skating and other skills he could actually be worth his contract just by getting his turnovers under control. Matheson has better skating, puck handling, and shot than players like Pettersson and Dumoulin. The man needs some work but the talent is obviously their. Big difference between a Matheson and JJ.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That is just the negative half of us. The rest see his talent and know he has a chance and more than "so your saying there is a chance". Honestly with Matheson's skating and other skills he could actually be worth his contract just by getting his turnovers under control. Matheson has better skating, puck handling, and shot than players like Pettersson and Dumoulin. The man needs some work but the talent is obviously their. Big difference between a Matheson and JJ.

That's just the thing... I AM usually the other negative half lol

Reactions: Tom Hanks

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think O'Connor will get his first goal tonight.

I am always routing for the young guys because that is what we need to happen for a 2016 type turnaround. Halfway through 2016 we get a new coach and play the young guys and a trade or two and the team took off. If players like POJ and O'Connor prove ready to help out and someone like Matheson takes off in a new environment then this team can be a very strong contender.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Isles and Pens in the same situation, both kind of underachieving, both with almost a week off, both with shitty power play spent four days practicing, what gives?

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I know his contract blows and his past is mixed performance-wise but I really do think it's weird we've basically decided that MM is irredeemably awful in a game and a half.

Personally, I haven’t. I just think it was an incredibly risky contract to acquire and his start here has sucked because he had one bad game to start and then got hurt during his second. What he hasn’t done is prove anything positive in his time here. Now POJ looks great and the GM who traded for Matheson has fled. If he doesn’t improve and they lose someone better in expansion or to make room on the left for a near immovable contract it’s going to be an issue.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Personally, I haven’t. I just think it was an incredibly risky contract to acquire and his start here has sucked because he had one bad game to start and then got hurt during his second. What he hasn’t done is prove anything positive in his time here. Now POJ looks great and the GM who traded for Matheson has fled. If he doesn’t improve and they lose someone better in expansion or to make room on the left for a near immovable contract it’s going to be an issue.

Don't disagree, really. But I just feel like his situation is vastly different than some plug like JJ. I think he has the most important thing to turn it around which is talent. And the type of talent that could very realistically integrate well with this roster.

But yeah I mean dude's contract is yucky and <3 teh Horny etc. etc. I definitely get it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's what this board does best: jump to horribly negative conclusions based on small or no sample sizes

Ha to be fair I'm guilty at times, too.

Full disclosure -- dude could very well turn out to be a slug with a turd contract to boot. But I can't tell based on like one game. Sure he's played plenty of NHL games but not here. It DOES matter. Particularly when the player in question has more than a little talent.

Up to the coaching staff now to put him in best positions to succeed and build confidence.

*unintentionally cringes*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad