GDT: Sat Feb 6 Pens vs Isles 7PMest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Don't disagree, really. But I just feel like his situation is vastly different than some plug like JJ. I think he has the most important thing to turn it around which is talent. And the type of talent that could very realistically integrate well with this roster.

But yeah I mean dude's contract is yucky and <3 teh Horny etc. etc. I definitely get it.

It’s tough. It’s easy to say he’s talented but if he lacks the mind to utilize that talent it gets pointless pretty quickly. I think the fact that he’s never cracked 27 points or, I believe, been on pace to tells you something about him. All those tools and that’s what he’s done with them. Even if you just want him as a puck mover you need the decision making to be there. The deciding factor will likely be what they can get out of his brain more than talent.

Ironically, not unlike a young JJ his tools and usage might prop him up but you don’t have a good player if his IQ isn’t there. Talent really is only worth so much.

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Matheson’s play aside, if we could get out of his contract I would make some big sacrifices. Like watching a weekend Zoom conference between @Gurglesons & @Soggy Biscuit discussing Kessel and Deangelo.

tenor.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ha to be fair I'm guilty at times, too.

Full disclosure -- dude could very well turn out to be a slug with a turd contract to boot. But I can't tell based on like one game. Sure he's played plenty of NHL games but not here. It DOES matter. Particularly when the player in question has more than a little talent.

Up to the coaching staff now to put him in best positions to succeed and build confidence.

*unintentionally cringes*

when your argument boils down to relying on our coaching staff, you might as well not post it...lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It’s tough. It’s easy to say he’s talented but if he lacks the mind to utilize that talent it gets pointless pretty quickly. I think the fact that he’s never cracked 27 points or, I believe, been on pace to tells you something about him. All those tools and that’s what he’s done with them. Even if you just want him as a puck mover you need the decision making to be there. The deciding factor will likely be what they can get out of his brain more than talent.

Ironically, not unlike a young JJ his tools and usage might prop him up but you don’t have a good player if his IQ isn’t there. Talent really is only worth so much.

Brains are certainly the talent "interpreter" to what actually happens out on the ice, no doubt. I guess I'm just hopeful that he can pull a Niskanen or whatever. Who hit 35 points one time before being a Penguin when the word on him was "bust" or "low IQ" or whatever.

Obviously not everyone can be Matt Niskanen but the difference between 27 points as a best season over 300ish NHL games and 35 points as a best season over 270ish NHL games is rather negligible. I'm just saying it's not impossible that's all. At least more possible than many are painting it in what I would call a laugher of a sample size.

All the other bad feelings regarding this player like JR, the trade itself, Hornqvist and his start, the contract, etc are just noise, for now.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Brains are certainly the talent "interpreter" to what actually happens out on the ice, no doubt. I guess I'm just hopeful that he can pull a Niskanen or whatever. Who hit 35 points one time before being a Penguin when the word on him was "bust" or "low IQ" or whatever.

Obviously not everyone can be Matt Niskanen but the difference between 27 points as a best season over 300ish NHL games and 35 points as a best season over 270ish NHL games is rather negligible. I'm just saying it's not impossible that's all. At least more possible than many are painting it in what I would call a laugher of a sample size.

All the other bad feelings regarding this player like JR, the trade itself, Hornqvist and his start, the contract, etc are just noise, for now.

I agree and think Niskanen and Schultz are perfect examples of Defensman with good skills and upside that their first team gave up on. People said Schultz was the worst defensman in the NHL when we got him and Niskanen we had been forced to take and a negative asset. Schultz had some very good season's with us before injuries messed him up and Niskanen had a great career. I still have hope for Matheson and believe his physical tools are even better than those comparisons. Matheson is one of the fastest defensman in the NHL and has above average shot, puck skills, size, and plays with a physical edge. That is a lot to work with. Always said it was a boom or bust trade but those are the types that you can really win big with.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree and think Niskanen and Schultz are perfect examples of Defensman with good skills and upside that their first team gave up on. People said Schultz was the worst defensman in the NHL when we got him. Schultz had some very good season's with us before injuries messed him up. I still have hope for Matheson and believe his physical tools are even better than those comparisons. Matheson is one of the fastest defensman in the NHL and has above average shot, puck skills, size, and plays with a physical edge. That is a lot to work with. Always said it was a boom or bust trade but those are the types that you can really win big with.

Ha... the only comparison I would caution you against there is Schultz seeing as how he's off to a respectable start in Washington (last I checked). Indicating maybe that was a Penguin thing.

I hate to sorta contradict myself right off the cut but the elephant in the room here is the team itself and the coaching. Matheson needs attention to get his game on track and those are the people in charge of giving it. I don't have much faith there these days.

But I agree that his overall skillset is very interesting and has a good chance of gelling here regardless of coaching. On paper he brings the exact kinds of things that should fit like a glove on this team's blueline.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Ha... the only comparison I would caution you against there is Schultz seeing as how he's off to a respectable start in Washington (last I checked). Indicating maybe that was a Penguin thing.

I hate to sorta contradict myself right off the cut but the elephant in the room here is the team itself and the coaching. Matheson needs attention to get his game on track and those are the people in charge of giving it. I don't have much faith there these days.

But I agree that his overall skillset is very interesting and has a good chance of gelling here regardless of coaching. On paper he brings the exact kinds of things that should fit like a glove on this team's blueline.

Like I said Schultz went from a team that called him the worst defensman in the league and had some very good years before injuries hampered him. Sorry I don't think it was coaching that made him suck the last two years. In that same time period the Pens took rookie defensman in Pettersson and Marino and made both productive top 4 defensman in their rookie years. So it wasn't coaching and I guess mostly injuries for Schultz who has somehow looked good this year after being our worst defensman last year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
After having said all that re: MM -- I must admit that I feel a bit like a person trying to rationalize something kinda gnarly. Like the guy that picks the short straw and has to talk himself into the idea that digging a shit ditch is totally cool and builds character or something.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
View attachment 393232

After nearly a week of inevitable game postponements, the Pens get back to...uh..business as usual against the Islanders!

I have it on good word that PIT have a working PP now. So that will make for a fun night!!!!

:pens 5-4-1 vs 3-4-2 :isles

Lines:

I have also been told that top men are working on the decisions regarding the line up.

Who?

Top.

Men.

Or Sullivan. Or Allvin. Or a random dartboard in a dank corner of the Pens offices. I dunno. Who makes lineup decisions anymore?

Isles look like they kinda suck-ish, again, like their dark days.

So. Buckle up, baby!

Let's
Go
Pens!

ScornfulAdorableJenny-size_restricted.gif

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
After having said all that re: MM -- I must admit that I feel a bit like a person trying to rationalize something kinda gnarly. Like the guy that picks the short straw and has to talk himself into the idea that digging a shit ditch is totally cool and builds character or something.

Not me, I saw right from the bat that this was a boom or bust type deal. I don't feel any different after only 2 games in which the team was terrible and not ready for the season. It wasn't like anyone else was playing good besides the 3rd line in those games. The Dumoulin-Letang pairing was much worse than Matheson in those games. Didn't they give up like 5 goals? I always said this deal will be judged solely off of Matheson and if we can pull a Niskanen/Schultz type resurrection. If Matheson does that same transformation as those two this is a major win for the Pens adding a 26 year old top 4 defensman that is a great skater and turns his game around like Niskanen and Schultz did. If that happened this is a steal for a mid 30's winger that was slow and not being used in our top 6 and wasn't productive playing in the playoffs with McCann and Marleau. Boom or bust so let's hope for the boom.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If Matheson ends up a scratched Dman, I see him moving to wing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 60 points

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Matheson ends up a scratched Dman, I see him moving to wing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 60 points

I'm always down for this idea and wish it would happen more often.

Riiks was totally functional as a winger last year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Really? We’ve only had Jake and Phil hit that in 6 seasons.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if we lose, we just better not lose in regulation...we can’t afford any more of these 4 point swing games, especially with so many other teams in the division playing 3 point games
Honestly, I think we need a clean win in regulation. Jarry seems to do well against the Isles and he'll undoubtedly need to be at or near the top of his game in order for us to secure the two points this fine evening.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Juicy Rickolah, too

Maybe Eeyore Moron and Shteve Mackinna too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad