Salary Cap: Saros and Fabbro file for Arbitration

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
When did Poile offer this deal? What did Saros request?

We are all ignorant of what the numbers and term being tossed around were ... or when this agreed upon offer was actually made.
Could also have been about the no movement provision which Poile has been hard nosed about. Who knows? It’s done.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Here's hoping they don't get to the hearing. A 1- or 2-year deal for Saros could put us in a vulnerable position. I will be very surprised if Saros is asking for ridiculous money. Like with Fiala... asking for $6.25M and the Wild offering $4M... it'll be something like that, I suspect. If there is a "ridiculous" component in the process right now, I would gamble on it being on the Team side instead of the Player side.

I like the 4 years for $20M for Saros. It is a fair deal for both sides.

A 1 year deal for Fiala for $5.1M. Don't be surprised if the Wild trades him!

Kevin will be unhappy with that term, unless the Wild are promising a future deal at 6 or 7M per year.

Last edited:

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Official announcements always come way after the insider breaks the news.

The team will probably wait until he actually signs the deal. It's probably only agreed to at this point
Based on insider news then Cap Friendly, TSN and the tennessean published the deal. I will say Cap Friendly said incomplete info.(not wrong info; just incomplete). But perhaps the club is under some sort of NHL/NHLPA rule.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Ideally Poile would have just offered this contract 2 months ago, because we all know it's fair and what Saros earned. Instead of offering $3.5M or whatever he might have offered and starting everything off down this path. Just a waste of time on Poile's part is what it was. We aren't in a Cap position where we need to try to ram through any contract bargains on our best players.

You really think if he starts with that offer 2 months ago, Saros agent just says "duh, ok"?

No, he would have assumed Poile was starting below where he was willing to go and waited for the raise.

This was gonna happen this way, so Saros could maximize his return.

The fact that it happend today and not tomorrow or after the hearing tells me Saros instruction to his agent was "get as much as you can but dont poison the well"

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Posted shortly after free agency

Predators working on contracts for Juuse Saros, Mattias Ekholm

"Negotiations have just started," Poile said of Saros. "I couldn't tell you whether it's going to be tomorrow or in three weeks. I don't think it ever serves any purpose (to estimate). Let's just leave it at that."
Poile expressed confidence in signing Saros, along with Forsberg and Ekholm, though negotiations with the latter two have not yet begun

Doesn't mean things haven't been discussed, but apparently the actual negotiations didn't take that long. I'm thinking that at some point they just agreed they would sit down after the season :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
apparently, they didn't start until August, and we don't know why, but it seems it was scheduled that way.
Yeah, that would be weird. Saros was our Best Player last year. He was our MVP. I'm not in a camp that thinks that is necessarily sustainable or anything, but he was. If you think he wasn't, I think you didn't watch our games. He has his warts. But at the same time, he pulled us through. If your "schedule" can't make room for that, esp. given our historic #1/rafters/HOF goalie just retired... uh... some priorities are off. :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah, that would be weird. Saros was our Best Player last year. He was our MVP. I'm not in a camp that thinks that is necessarily sustainable or anything, but he was. If you think he wasn't, I think you didn't watch our games. He has his warts. But at the same time, he pulled us through. If your "schedule" can't make room for that, esp. given our historic #1/rafters/HOF goalie just retired... uh... some priorities are off. :dunno:
Your insistence that Poile do things on your timeline is a little strange not the fact that the player was given a chance to go relax and have a vacation after the season ended.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How do you know Saros didn't tell Poile, "hey, let's work on this contract but I'm going home for a month first"?

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Exactly. And yet, we all knew the number and the term 2 months ago. Even if it's not directly your "opening bid" on either side, they could have hit these numbes 2 months ago.

Why are you picking this hill to die on? The only way this gets done 2 months ago is if Saros agent is incompetent or Polie sets an arbitrary deadline. Otherwise Saros agent has every reason to wait untilnthe last minute for Poile to give more. Who are you even saying was harmed by this not happening 2 months ago? Why does it need to have happened?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

The priorities are fine. Your view of when and how the team and player should manage time off and relaxation is a bit off.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Is this signing not worthy of a thread with an appropriate title? I object to lumping it into the arb thread. But I’m too lazy and incompetent to solve it myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00