Salary Cap: Saros and Fabbro file for Arbitration

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
On the bright side, they are shielded from any RFA offer sheets (like that ever happens or was any risk). And they'll definitely end up with contracts and be playing for us, one way or the other.

And Fabbro will still be RFA at the end of whatever award he got, if it went that far.

Fabbro didn't have the greatest season overall, I thought he started really strong, but clearly the injury affected him and he finished out of the lineup. The Jake Bean contract with Columbus (3x$2.33M) is probably a fair ask for Fabbro.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
On the bright side, they are shielded from any RFA offer sheets (like that ever happens or was any risk). And they'll definitely end up with contracts and be playing for us, one way or the other.

And Fabbro will still be RFA at the end of whatever award he got, if it went that far.

Fabbro didn't have the greatest season overall, I thought he started really strong, but clearly the injury affected him and he finished out of the lineup. The Jake Bean contract with Columbus (3x$2.33M) is probably a fair ask for Fabbro.
Yeah, it was definitely a tale of two seasons for him. I'm sure Poile is negotiating from the viewpoint of after the injury and Fabbro's agent is using the performance of before the injury.

Not to mention Fabbro probably wants to have enough term to get beyond his RFA period where Poile wants another shot at an RFA contract.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It also forces a deadline. People avoid work till there is a deadline.

Also will the judges use Pre-pandemic numbers or post?

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Poile almost always lets RFAs file, especially if they had a rollercoaster year like Fabbro. I imagine we will have something done before it finishes up

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Poile almost always lets RFAs file, especially if they had a rollercoaster year like Fabbro. I imagine we will have something done before it finishes up

Poile absolutely cannot let Saros get to arbitration and get only a 1 year deal because he would be UFA. Saros has major leverage, especially with Ingram being a question mark. Poile probably wants 3.5 x 3 years and Saros probably is asking for 5x5. With Saros holding the advantage I think it ends up closer to Saros number. Either 4 yrs at 4.5 or 5 years at 4

Last edited:

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
if we are rebuilding we should trade Saros and wait for Askarov to arrive .

I think we could
probably get at least a decent prospect / 1st round pick and maybe a decent roster player for him as well

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The team has publicly stated that Askarov is the future hope of the franchise and you guys are weirded out that the current young goalie doesn't like the sound of that and wants to maximize his pay

If I was Saros I'd milk NSH out of everything before leaving, they're not invested in me in the long run so why bother playing for them because even with a deep run the other guy will just come up and eventually snatch the position away

Reactions: lakai17

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The team has publicly stated that Askarov is the future hope of the franchise and you guys are weirded out that the current young goalie doesn't like the sound of that and wants to maximize his pay

If I was Saros I'd milk NSH out of everything before leaving, they're not invested in me in the long run so why bother playing for them because even with a deep run the other guy will just come up and eventually snatch the position away

Dont be so dramatic. Every team drafts prospects that they expect to eventually compete. Saros will get a good payday and a chance to prove that the net should be his for as long as he can keep it.

Reactions: predhead1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
why do we need Fabbro? He is demonstrably mediocre .

Can someone actually
articulate why he should have a roster spot over Allard , Farrance, Davies etc etc ??

I mean Allard has only got 1 NHl and looked fairly lost.

Farrance and Davies are LHD and having Fabbro doesn't block them from getting to the NHL.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not against trading Fabbro. I just don't think he's hurting anyone else by being there. Farrance/Davies should be able to outwork Boro/Harpur and get into the 3rd pairing. Honestly if you put Farrance/Fabbro back together like they were in college for a bit I think it'd become a really strong pairing in time.

Reactions: SouthNash

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
With the Preds cap space and the track record of both Saros and Fabbro, I think it's most likely that reasonable deals get signed before the hearings even take place. If they do go to arbitration I can't see either player receiving an award that the Preds would walk away from, they just don't have a strong enough case to be made for a crazy payday.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
why do we need Fabbro? He is demonstrably mediocre .

Can someone actually
articulate why he should have a roster spot over Allard , Farrance, Davies etc etc ??
If you had to could you teach a kid how to play hockey or more specifically how to play defense? Do you understand the reads, nuances, and tricks of the trade?

I don't ask that to be snarky, I ask because Fabbro has all of the little details instictualy. He doesn't think about it he's just doing it.
His skating and reads while defending a rush.
His defense around the front of the net. Knowing when to be physical and when to tie up sticks.
His ability to stop possession and pin players to the wall even though he isn't a 6'4" defensemen.
His composure with the puck and ability to find the right read to a forward that gets the puck out of the Dzone or into the Ozone.

Sure he's had his growing pains and has made passing mistakes but what Dman doesn't? People are too hyper focused on him while ignoring the same shit from veterans.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I think Saros will get a deal without arbitration but Fabbro best be careful about his asking price. He’s moderately good and expendable. But I think both selected arbitration as a holding place just in case.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Saros has a say in that. Play well and you don't need to worry about it. Saros didn't get the job from Rinne because he was young, he got it because he outperformed him.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Saros has a say in that. Play well and you don't need to worry about it. Saros didn't get the job from Rinne because he was young, he got it because he outperformed him.

I hate to say it but you are right in that PR play has diminished since the 2018 season with 2020 being bad. JS has been an average or slightly better than that until 2021 where his stats rivaled Rinne's Vezina year. He just starts out so slow and bad. This past season in his first 9 games he was 3-4 and had some terrible losses, granite some were to good teams but you have to play good teams and have to beat good teams to be a good team but the Preds were not a good team early in the season. I am just not sold on him as a #1 for the next 5-6 years while we wait for Askarov to become the #1.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I am optimistic about Saros avoiding his bad start this time... because finally there were some structural adjustements in how he played. They were relatively small tweaks, but the goaltending coach finally got him doing some things a little bit differently and I don't see any reason why he would ever change back after the success he had. He's a bit further out, he's jumping on loose pucks with more alacrity, he has his upper torso more vertical in the butterfly, and his hands a little bit more up and out to cover the gaps. Now he takes those tweaks with what he already had in terms of great lateral movement and reflexes, and I think there's genuine reason to hope that the bad starts are a thing of the past. He's a more technically sound goaltender for his size now.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I am optimistic about Saros avoiding his bad start this time... because finally there were some structural adjustements in how he played. They were relatively small tweaks, but the goaltending coach finally got him doing some things a little bit differently and I don't see any reason why he would ever change back after the success he had. He's a bit further out, he's jumping on loose pucks with more alacrity, he has his upper torso more vertical in the butterfly, and his hands a little bit more up and out to cover the gaps. Now he takes those tweaks with what he already had in terms of great lateral movement and reflexes, and I think there's genuine reason to hope that the bad starts are a thing of the past. He's a more technically sound goaltender for his size now.
Add all of that to the fact that he'll go into camp as the top guy and get all the attention from the coaches there is good reason to be optimistic.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Askarov is 4 years away from being a backup, probably 6 from being a starter.
Saros needs to continue to compete and improve his consistency.
To be fair goalies are starting younger and younger now and succeeding. 6 years? I highly doubt it in this day and age.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Bookmark this post
I'm hoping after the next 2 years in KHL and 1 in AHL he'll be ready for the NHL. He'd only be 22 at that point so who knows but I think he was drafted with the intention to be competing for NHL time in no more than 4 years. Much different expectations than a player like Pekka had put on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad