Salary Cap: Saros and Fabbro file for Arbitration

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Recent highly touted (1st, early 2nd) selections...

2021 - Sebastian Cossa -
2021 - Jesper Wallstedt -
2020 - Iaroslav Askarov -
2019 - Spencer Knight - Debuted D+2
2018 - Olof Lindblom -
2017 - Jake Oettinger - Debuted D+3
2016 - Carter Hart - Debuted D+3
2015 - Ilya Samsonov - Debuted D+5
2015 - MacKenzie Blackwood - Debuted D+4
2014 - Thatcher Demko - Debuted D+4
2014 - Alex Nedeljkovic - Debuted D+3
2013 - Zach Fucale -
2013 - Tristan Jarry - Debuted D+4
2012 - Andrei Vasilevskiy - D+3
2012 - Oscar Dansk - Debuted D+6
2012 - Anthony Stolarz - Debuted D+5
2011 - Magnus Hellberg - Debuted D+3

And I'd say only Knight and Vasilevskiy, perhaps Oettinger had anything close to the hype that Askarov had. If he's the real deal, D+4 is an extremely realistic expectation, probably should be D+3. Also feels like in the last 6-7 years, goalie scouting has gotten much better.
We can only hope you might want to add Hart to you list he has done well but thats 17 names with only Hart and Vasi making a big difference for there teams. Hart carried that team and I dispise the team. Knight is going to get a chance this year may of the rest are flame outs including Jarry and Ottinger there just not good enough to make the difference.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We can only hope you might want to add Hart to you list he has done well but thats 17 names with only Hart and Vasi making a big difference for there teams. Hart carried that team and I dispise the team. Knight is going to get a chance this year may of the rest are flame outs including Jarry and Ottinger there just not good enough to make the difference.

What a weird take.

#1 Hart is on the list... but I wouldn't even include him in the successes here, he really struggled badly last season and if he doesn't get his head right soon, he'll be the next headstone in the notorious Flyers goalie graveyard.

#2 writing off Oettinger when he's just beginning and looking okay with room to grow.

#3 calling the rest flameouts when Blackwood is a decent starter (on a bad team), Nedeljkovic literally just beat the Preds in the first round and has impressed Yzerman enough to swing big on him, then there's Thatcher Demko who just earned the starters spot and looks like one of the best young goalies in the league. Samsonov is a #1 with room to grow, and Jarry is an okay starter (25-9-3 .909)

So you look at the list and decide there are only two successes there, when in reality there are only four failures and those are all 8+ years ago and Askarov was scouted as being better than all of them. But I'm certain that despite any success Askarov has with the Preds you will be around to tell us why he's a bust and will never win a Cup.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What a weird take.

#1 Hart is on the list... but I wouldn't even include him in the successes here, he really struggled badly last season and if he doesn't get his head right soon, he'll be the next headstone in the notorious Flyers goalie graveyard.

#2 writing off Oettinger when he's just beginning and looking okay with room to grow.

#3 calling the rest flameouts when Blackwood is a decent starter (on a bad team), Nedeljkovic literally just beat the Preds in the first round and has impressed Yzerman enough to swing big on him, then there's Thatcher Demko who just earned the starters spot and looks like one of the best young goalies in the league. Samsonov is a #1 with room to grow, and Jarry is an okay starter (25-9-3 .909)

So you look at the list and decide there are only two successes there, when in reality there are only four failures and those are all 8+ years ago and Askarov was scouted as being better than all of them. But I'm certain that despite any success Askarov has with the Preds you will be around to tell us why he's a bust and will never win a Cup.

"And I'd say only Knight and Vasilevskiy, perhaps Oettinger had anything close to the hype that Askarov had." These were your words. And you think Hart has not had just as much hype?????

And yes Those you mention are OK starters but when was the last time the Preds excelled with a ok starter? Saros is a ok starter he has started 10 playoff games and won 3 he has played in 17 playoff games. Just because players are younger most give them far too much upside

Blackwood is 3 years in but still has a GAG of 2.83
Oettinger played in 29 games starting 24 of them and won but 11 games yes his GAA was good but his save% .911 is not what the Stars needed to get them over the hump.
Demko won almost half his games but Vancouver has still went out and got Spencer Knight
Jarry is a average goaltender on a team that has older forwards and a D that are not as good as they were two or three years ago.

The point is teams can not compete for the Cup withouta top 5 goalie look at the history
21 Vasi- Price
20 Vasi- Kuhdobin
19 Binnington- Rask
18 Holtby-MAF
17 MAF-Murry-Peekka
16 Murry- Jones

Binnington is the weakest of the bunch and got hot one year just like Johnathan Quick did. But the rest of those goalies listed have been better than average goaltenders even Murry. I do not accept average any more that has been the Predators problem for years Great goaltending great defense and average forwards. Now they are average to below across the board. This is not going to be a fun year to be a Pred fan heck the next few years are going to be a struggle. The central at one time was the best division in the league and now Colorado, Dallas, Jets are the top three by a good margin and the rest is a toss up The Yotes will be the weak sister followed by the Wild then there are the Hawks, Blues and Preds putting us third from the bottom in the division.

Goaltending is critical in Nashville and just like those average goaltenders mentioned before we have no proof Saro's will be more than average. he was less than average the first half of last year and ran into a streak of the weakest teams in the division and brough the team back to playoff contention. That will not happen with the schedule this year you can not expect to drub on Detroit, Chicage and Dallas to make a comeback this time. Saros better have his big boy drawers on.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What a weird take.

I can't even see the post you are responding to, and already I can tell it's a likeable response! :handclap:

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Saros has all the leverage. Poile will wait until the last second but will pretty much have to cave unless Saros is asking for ridiculous money or term

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Here's hoping they don't get to the hearing. A 1- or 2-year deal for Saros could put us in a vulnerable position. I will be very surprised if Saros is asking for ridiculous money. Like with Fiala... asking for $6.25M and the Wild offering $4M... it'll be something like that, I suspect. If there is a "ridiculous" component in the process right now, I would gamble on it being on the Team side instead of the Player side.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
about what was expected. A fair deal all around. Even if Askarov is ready to take over earlier than expected, this shouldn't be a hard contract to move unless there's a NTC of some kind

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
about what was expected. A fair deal all around. Even if Askarov is ready to take over earlier than expected, this shouldn't be a hard contract to move unless there's a NTC of some kind
Term is ok. But dollars based on potential not performance. But if he’s truly a #1 goalie, it’s fair.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
AAV is about what we expected... I'm not a fan of 4 years with him only proving starter status over 25 games last season but it is what it is.

Hope last season wasn't lightning in a bottle. Goaltending for the most part is voodoo and BS.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I like it. Unless he hits a freefall, 5 mil for a starting goalie in his prime is good. Four years is great term as well. Askarov will need about 3 of that term before being ready, I'd think.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is exactly what we all wanted. A bit frustrating that it took so long, but this is what we should be paying him. Shouldn't have needed the arbitration hammer to get here IMHO.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This is exactly what we all wanted. A bit frustrating that it took so long, but this is what we should be paying him. Shouldn't have needed the arbitration hammer to get here IMHO.

Dont be silly. All the arb filing didnwas makensure it happened now and not next month. I'm sure Saros agent held out until this close just hoping Poile would up the offer. What did he have to lose?

Fair deal btw. This is "set for life" money in the event it's the last contract he ever gets and its doable for the Preds to live with/eat if he craps out or if Askarov comes along sooner than expected.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
How come everybody knows about this deal like TSN, the tennessean, Cap Friendly, Canadian media sources, etc BUT the Preds web site has not yet announced it? I mean sometimes they have a strange operation.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dont be silly. All the arb filing didnwas makensure it happened now and not next month. I'm sure Saros agent held out until this close just hoping Poile would up the offer. What did he have to lose?

Fair deal btw. This is "set for life" money in the event it's the last contract he ever gets and its doable for the Preds to live with/eat if he craps out or if Askarov comes along sooner than expected.
Ideally Poile would have just offered this contract 2 months ago, because we all know it's fair and what Saros earned. Instead of offering $3.5M or whatever he might have offered and starting everything off down this path. Just a waste of time on Poile's part is what it was. We aren't in a Cap position where we need to try to ram through any contract bargains on our best players.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
How come everybody knows about this deal like TSN, the tennessean, Cap Friendly, Canadian media sources, etc BUT the Preds web site has not yet announced it? I mean sometimes they have a strange operation.

Official announcements always come way after the insider breaks the news.

The team will probably wait until he actually signs the deal. It's probably only agreed to at this point

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Ideally Poile would have just offered this contract 2 months ago, because we all know it's fair and what Saros earned. Instead of offering $3.5M or whatever he might have offered and starting everything off down this path. Just a waste of time on Poile's part is what it was. We aren't in a Cap position where we need to try to ram through any contract bargains on our best players.

When did Poile offer this deal? What did Saros request?

We are all ignorant of what the numbers and term being tossed around were ... or when this agreed upon offer was actually made.

Reactions: PredsHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad