Sarnia Sting 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

The Saginaw Spirit announced on Thursday they are selecting Michael Misa, a 2007-born centre for the Mississauga Senators granted exceptional player status, with the first overall pick. Multiple sources tell The Examiner the top six picks appear to be locked in now.

The Erie Otters are expected to draft Misa's left winger Malcolm Spence second overall. The Sudbury Wolves are expected to choose Navan Grads centre Nathan Villeneuve at No. 3. The Niagara IceDogs are projected to pick Toronto Marlies defence man Sam Dickinson at No. 4 and the Sarnia Sting are said to be taking Martone at five.

Reactions: davewheeler

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021
I’d rather trade lalkin over vogelsburg and McIntyre because he’s much smaller than both of those guys. Vogelsburg is faster and bigger and if he gets heavier in the off-season he could be a good 4th liner. McIntyre just needs to get more physical on a nightly basis. Both could be effective grinders on the 4th line that are more than capable of potting goals and chipping in offensively here and there. Also if you have guys like lalkin, harper as your 4th line/extra what happens when two bigger forwards get injured or suspended for a good period of time (which could very well happen) we will be in the same spot we are in now with a very small forward group. That’s why I’d rather have vogelsburg, McIntyre and degelas as 4th line/extras. I just don’t see the point in occupying the 11,12,13 spot with guys that are 5’7/5’8 (we have enough of those guys upfront Dann, Voit, namestnikov, Mcdonell, wainwright) much rather have bigger guys in those spots.
McIntyre will be a top player in this league. It's hard for a 17 year old to be that big and look like a smooth skater until he grows into his body. He never got a chance to play in the top nine for whatever reason. He clearly didn't have a good year but when you are on the 4th line playing 6 minutes a night, what exactly are you going to show? He will end up as a better version than Sikic-- I would almost guarantee that. I have no idea why everyone says he needs to be more physical. I would bet he lead the forwards in hits this year and he gets 1/3 of the ice time.
If they do trade him, it will be a deal that Seca will end up regretting in the long run.
I have no idea why the coaches didn't give Lalkin any opportunities either. I agree that he is small, and the team doesn't need anymore of that type of player, but he got the same treatment as McIntyre. 4th line and never above. Wainwright comes in and didn't look great as a 4th line winger, they move him to centre and all of a sudden he is in the top 9. Why did he get that opportunity over Lalkin and Vogelsberg?

Reactions: YAhockeyfan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From my understanding it's a cheap name brand beer that they just renamed for promotional purposes. I remember asking but can't remember the answer I got exactly. I want to say it was either PBR or something very similar.

On one hand, it's weird to promote a beer like that... but, on the other hand, I'm glad it might be available in stores.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I like the pick, big guy 6’3 180 (going to get heavier/stronger), fast skater, great shot (heard he has one of the best release in the entire draft), good puck skills, really high hockey IQ that can play a 200ft game. I like how they said he can play any game you want whether it’s a skilled/finesse game or a tough tight checking playoff type game.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I hope we can pick Parker Von Richter in the third. Big solid defenceman, that can skate good and move the puck.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Doherty had 21 goals, 14 assists in 26 games for Ajax. He also finished 4th in the on ice testing at the OHL combine. Here's a clip of him facing 1st overall pick Misa in a race (?) lol. Looks speedy & sounds like he has a real good shot to go with nice hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogie Junior

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Would of been nice to get local boy Josh glavin with our second 3rd rounder I hope he has a good career in Saginaw!

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Would of been nice to get local boy Josh glavin with our second 3rd rounder I hope he has a good career in Saginaw!
Have a feeling they were probably gonna take him with the pick they just had if saginaw didn't take him. Like the sounds of Campbell tho!

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
More on Sean Doherty

Attachments

• 34B39A92-008E-4782-9D9E-A222CB7C9DB0.png
    34B39A92-008E-4782-9D9E-A222CB7C9DB0.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Ogie Junior

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
From hockey prospect:

CAMPBELL, CARSON
RD – Quinte Red Devils (ETA) 6’0”160
Carson is a simple 2-way defenseman that can either move the puck offensively or can play more or a defensive role. He has good size and intelligence to his game. He keeps the game simple; Carson shows impressive awareness and vision and posses the ability to make a strong first pass out of the zone. In the defensive zone Carson shows good positional awareness along with the ability to anticipate with effectiveness, both combined with an active and effective stick allows him to defend with success. His transition game is good, showing good mobility and showing good gaps and an ability to angle opposing puck carriers into low percentage areas. Speeding up his decision making with the puck, improving his puck skills more would add another layer to his game to make him more of a threat offensively as well. Carson had a strong OHL Cup for Quinte this year and showed he can be a versatile defenseman at the next level.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I like what I hear for our day one! A do it all, power forward in Martone who should score a lot of goals in this league. Doherty, a super speedy, skilled C with a good shot that improved as the season went on, and Campbell sounds like a real solid 2way type of guy that has some untapped potential offensively from the backend

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Here is Recruit Scouting's top 60 for the OHL draft this year. I figured I'd take a look at the top players still available tomorrow:

28. D Justin Huynh (Mississauga Senators)
33. F Ethan Toms (Quinte Red Devils)
35. F Parker Forlin (Niagara North Stars)
42. F Hunter McKnight (Brockville Braves)
43. F Tate Vader (Huron-Perth Lakers)
46. F Tyron Fevry (Toronto Red Wings)
47. D Nathan Schaap (North Central Predators)
48. F Josh Lepain (Windsor Jr. Spitfires)
49. F Braydon McCallum (Brantford 99ers)
50. F Cole Davis (York-Simcoe Express)
53. F Jack Dean (Markham Majors)
54. D Roarke Gilmour (Kemptville 73's)
55. F Dean Letourneau (Renfrew Wolves)
56. F Daniel Vasic (York-Simcoe Express)

Honuarable Mentions:

F Thomas Dickey (Carelton Place Canadians U18)
F Anthony Giacalone (Markham Majors)
F Carson Hall (Markham Majors)
F Nolan Newton (Sudbury Nickel Capitals U16)
F Caton Ryan (Carleton Place Canadians U18)
D Matthew Virgilio (St. Andrew's College) ----- Virgilio is committed to the NCAA (University of Michigan)

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

They seem beyond thrilled with Martone. Hard not to be with what he could become. Be nice to get a true dominant power forward. Feel like we haven't had many of those since Matty Martin left.

I've been watching some Doherty & I am a big fan.. That kid has wheeeeeeeels for days to go along with a nice set of hands & an OHL ready wrist shot. He's gonna score some goals. Needs to work on play away from puck but ill worry about that later with the skills he has lol

Campbell looks real solid too. He's very quick footed. Really stands out that it takes him 0 time to get up to top speed, make guys miss. Plays with an edge too. Might need a yr just to fill out, get stronger but he's got real solid upside.

Very happy with the first 3 picks. They need to add size which they did (6'3", 5'11" & 6'0" not crazy but solid especially Martone), and they needed scoring ability/skill & they got a ton of that in Martone & Doherty who both can rip the puck & have very good puck skills. See what they do tomorrow in the rest, hoping they grab a goalie in one of the earlier rounds (4-5-6)

Last edited:

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019

They seem beyond thrilled with Martone. Hard not to be with what he could become. Be nice to get a true dominant power forward. Feel like we haven't had many of those since Matty Martin left.

I've been watching some Doherty & I am a big fan.. That kid has wheeeeeeeels for days to go along with a nice set of hands & an OHL ready wrist shot. He's gonna score some goals. Needs to work on play away from puck but ill worry about that later with the skills he has lol

Campbell looks real solid too. He's very quick footed. Really stands out that it takes him 0 time to get up to top speed, make guys miss. Plays with an edge too. Might need a yr just to fill out, get stronger but he's got real solid upside.

Very happy with the first 3 picks. They need to add size which they did (6'3", 5'11" & 6'0" not crazy but solid especially Martone), and they needed scoring ability/skill & they got a ton of that in Martone & Doherty who both can rip the puck & have very good puck skills. See what they do tomorrow in the rest, hoping they grab a goalie in one of the earlier rounds (4-5-6)

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
Great pick up Martone. His dad was a stud in the OHL for the Petes (Captain and made Mem Cup). If plays like his dad, will be a force.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Carson Hall, 6'1 C Sarnia's 4th Round (68th overall) pick. Hockey prospect had him ranked 53rd.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Carson Hall-

A big, two-way centreman, Carson Hall was amongst the FOW % leaders in the OHL cup. Hall has an extremely high compete level, and couples it with his ability to win faceoffs to generate high amounts of offense. Hall also packs a very powerful and quick shot, which when coupled with his speed, allows him to be a truly lethal offensive threat. Hall is very defensively aware as well, which helps him fall back to help the defensemen in their own zone, making him someone who compares a lot to Patrice Bergeron. Hall is a very good hearted and dedicated player, and is always the first to answer the call when one of his teammates needs help both on or off the ice. With the 2022 OHL draft coming up, Hall is looking to work more on keeping his feet moving at all times, while also being more confident in his stickhandling ability, and his play with the puck in general. Hall is excited for the draft, and feels like he will be able to adapt his style of play to the next level. Hall could take a year or two before stepping into the OHL, where he could then develop into a proper middle 6 centre, who can come in during crunch time to win crucial faceoffs when it matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad