Sarnia Sting 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Dillingham has laid some huge hits out this series on top of being a tank in front of Gaudreau on the PK clearing the crease, blocking shots. The decision between him & Hill will be a tough one! I think Owen MacDonald has had a real strong series for us too. I really like his tools. Not gonna be anything crazy but he's a solid skater, moves it well, great shot blocker & is physical. Might've found another solid player in the U18 draft which many struggle mightily to do.

Up until those penalties I thought Romeo was having a strong game too.. Ive been legitimately happy with all 6 D. Playing physical, not turning it over, getting it out quicker. Ritchie has been a stud these last 2 games. Fleece of the season was getting him for a 7th. Only thing id like is for them to shoot more! Windsor is giving our D a ton of space at the top & Onuska struggled badly fighting thru traffic.

One thing I noticed that sort of showcases how Sarnia played tonight & their growth is after that questionable hit on Sikic, Hill was flying after the guy & was 100% gonna take a penalty, and Namestnikov practically tackled him to stop him from getting to the Spits guy so Sarnia could keep the PP & that ended up being huge as Ritchie scored a PPG 35 seconds later to make it 4-2.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Most didn't expect much. Sarnia only shows up when they are good..which is rare. This win might spark some interest for Thursday. I'm sure some spits fans will be up for it as well.
Yes coming for Thursday
Should be a very good game and all of a sudden a very important game. I told you guys Sarnia was in first two games.

Reactions: Section 103

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Not great but for whatever reason nobody is drawing well.. London had 5K at game one. Kitchener 3500 for games 3 & 4. Flint, Kingston both under 3K for both home games. Ottawa had 1600 last night, Owen Sound had 1900. & Guelph had 2500 tonight.
Inflation baby!

• Haha
Reactions: deeferg

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Smart move since we have two 3rds, two 5ths, two 7ths, two 8ths in this draft & have nothing in next years. Wonder if we see one more maybe with one of our 3rds to try & get a higher pick in next years draft.

also for those wondering where we pick. 6 in the top-100 is pretty solid! Hopefully can find some gems with those two 3rds (if they keep both) & two 5ths. we've been pretty good in those rounds so hopefully keep it going.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Time to see if the boys can make it a series tonight. Have loved their effort in game 2, and 3 but have a feeling we are gonna see Windsor's best game of the series. one would think Gaudreau can only keep Johnston, Cuylle at bay for so long with the amount of great looks they've gotten. especially on the PP. But he is completely dialled in right now.

Will say if they could score early Onuska might start cracking a bit. Didn't look confident at all in that 3rd period Tuesday & was very irritated leaving the ice when it was over. Gotta stay disciplined too even though the PK has been superb you cant be taking 5-6-7 penalties a game like they have been. Hutchison not reffing would help as he wasn't letting them play at all in G3 😂

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well unfortunately the kid line (and Sikic, Namestnikov) are the only ones that kept it going. Dreadful night for line 1 who is trying to be WAY to fancy. Cuylle goal on Voit.

Sure Ben would like the 1st & even the 3rd back but hard to be mad when he's made so many great saves to keep us close

Reactions: The Howler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Gaudreau with 3 extremely weak goals. He gave Cuylle half the net to shoot at. Poor positioning on all 3 goals. Very stoppable.

Filak/MacDonnell/Wainwright is the only line that’s shown up tonight. Ghostly shifts by our top two lines. PP looking back to its expected garbage form.

Gonna need a miracle to come back in this one.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well that'll probably do it. Bizarre game as the 2nd & 3rd were very boring, slow. Windsor didn't dominate (outside of that middle part of the 2nd) & we didn't generate much. Sucks that Gaudreau kept them in every game & had a superb 1st then allowed some stinkers. Had he not we still might be playing in OT but I just cant get to angry at him after how unreal he was playing.

Horrid & I mean horrid night from our top line which also means the PP was awful which it was. ugly. ugly. ugly. Did DeGurse play?? Dann couldn't make a pass, and Voit dude, move the puck. Namestnikov & Sikic were good IMO but still didn't convert. Kid line was awesome. far & away our best line & it wasn't close. All 3 are gonna be such good players for us. MacDonell laid into Renwick in that fight after he acted so tough lol.

Another solid game from our Dmen for the most part. Onto the draft tomorrow then get bounced on Saturday most likely.

Reactions: Dougie Daryl Clark

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Wasn't able to watch the game but even if Gaudreau wasn't great I'm not putting much blame on him. It was bound to happen eventually. Can't carry a team all series. Biggest issue is obviously the lack of even strength scoring. We only have 2 goals at even strength this entire series.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It's been a series much more tightly contested than I anticipated. Obviously, Windsor has still outplayed us but I expected much more one sided games. Games 2 & 4, Sarnia had a legitimate chances to win or at least send it too OT if they could've just converted on some looks.

I definitely thought they'd be more physically imposing on us. So there are a lot of bright spots for the youngest team in the league to be hanging with such a talented, deep team. They've surpassed my expectations in the series. Even with it ending in 5 more than likely.

The play of our rookies (Filak, MacDonell, Wainwright, Namestnikov, MacDonald, Daviault) has been great to see. They haven't been overwhelmed if anything they've brought it to Windsor. Very encouraging for next season & beyond. This is phenomenal experience for them & will only hope their development.

The play of our D has been pretty shocking to be honest. I thought they'd be run out of the building most of this series but they've played pretty stingy, and have been very physical, smart with the puck. Not one guy has had a bad series back there & that is very very encouraging for next season with all eligible to return.

Biggest disappointment by far has been our best guys play. I knew they'd be against it, and wasn't expecting a ton but Voit, Dann, DeGurse, Hill & Sikic (tho he was MUCH better tonight imo), haven't gotten it done whatsoever. Dann needs to be WAY more assertive, Voit needs to know when to be cute & when not to, Hill has played way to perimeter & he maybe more than anyone simply doesn't shoot the puck & Sikic needs to learn to use his body, frame. All things you can work on thankfully but still frustrating because had they played better this could be 2-2.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Wasn't able to watch the game but even if Gaudreau wasn't great I'm not putting much blame on him. It was bound to happen eventually. Can't carry a team all series. Biggest issue is obviously the lack of even strength scoring. We only have 2 goals at even strength this entire series.
After watching the highlights I'm putting a little more blame on him. Ooof those first 3 goals were brutal!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Definitely not the best goals. He completely cheated that the first guy was gonna pass, 2nd was one helluva shot but was off in his positioning, 3rd was terrible. I didn't realize the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals were all directly off turnovers by Voit & Dann. Just a miserable night for our best players, including Gaudreau who finally cracked.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I come in peace with a non-game-related question...

Before the game tonight, I had dinner in the arena restaurant. They had a brew called "Buzz Brew" or something. It was a really impressive Pilsner. Is it JUST at the arena or can it be bought in stores?

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
was really worried that this would happen . Play 1 good game then 3-4 poor efforts in a row. Can this team not adapt to a game by changing up their style of offense even slightly. Every rush, same lame attempt to get the puck over the blueline. I thought Letang after having been in so many situations with so many different coaching philosophies would be a change from Hatcher. I guess I was wrong , the team needs a head coach who wasn't a defenceman but a forward who can teach and preach to the young guys if something isn't working in a game, time for something different offensively to throw the opponent off kilter. Where is Legwand who got all those goals for the Preds?

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I come in peace with a non-game-related question...

Before the game tonight, I had dinner in the arena restaurant. They had a brew called "Buzz Brew" or something. It was a really impressive Pilsner. Is it JUST at the arena or can it be bought in stores?

From my understanding it's a cheap name brand beer that they just renamed for promotional purposes. I remember asking but can't remember the answer I got exactly. I want to say it was either PBR or something very similar.

Reactions: OHLTG

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Personally, I'm ready to put this season behind us. The inconsistency is so frustrating and infuriating to watch any longer. It's literally 1 amazing game followed by 5 absolute stinkers. I fully except Windsor to steam roll us Saturday. Give Anson the net for the last game. Give him at least one playoff game.

For a guy that is potentially playing his last ever OHL home game in his hometown, Degurse sure was invisible last night. That whole top line was a big disappointment. Voit was just bad. Dann ghostly. It's just not acceptable for a line of 16/17 year olds to be our more consistent best line.

Reactions: Dougie Daryl Clark

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021
In the fight for the 3rd OA spot next season, I'd have to say that Hill has been playing his way out of the Hive this playoff series after a real good second half of the season. He has been playing on the outside all series and refuses to shoot or hit. Dillingham has been physical and a good shutdown presence which has been sadly lacking. He had a slow return after his injury but seems to have found his form. Will be a tough decision either way.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
In the fight for the 3rd OA spot next season, I'd have to say that Hill has been playing his way out of the Hive this playoff series after a real good second half of the season. He has been playing on the outside all series and refuses to shoot or hit. Dillingham has been physical and a good shutdown presence which has been sadly lacking. He had a slow return after his injury but seems to have found his form. Will be a tough decision either way.
Yeah after this series I'm kind of leaning toward keeping Dillingham over Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad