Sarnia Sting 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It’s nice knowing our entire roster except Degurse and 1 OA will be back next season. The guys on this roster especially the younger guys will be alot stronger and abit faster next season. Sooo much more experienced and the roster will be older. Then you add Martone who’s a big complete player, and hopefully a skilled big import and this team should be very good. Letang will be in his second year with the club and with these players so the standard and expectations should be set from the start of the season.
Bang on. I don't imagine many rosters in the O will be deeper than Sarnia's. The bottom-6 will have guys like Filak, MacDonell, Wainwright, Martone. Then you have McIntyre, Vogelsberg, Harper, Degelas, Lalkin, Doherty, Hall battling for those other 2 spots. Thats some serious depth. especially if Martone is an impact rookie which most expect he is.

Defence will be really interesting. They have a ton of guys so some will have to move. Malyavin is the biggest decision. He's only 17 & has a ton of potential. But where does he fit? There is a guaranteed 5 (if Dillingham is 3rd OA) with Mast, Ritchie, Daviault, Dillingham, Romeo. Then MacDonald has showed a lot of promise. Owen Thomas has had a fantastic year & has some crazy upside being 6'5" with legit skills, skating. Eveleigh will push for a spot, then u have Campbell, Green, Omeri from this class.

I genuinely don't know what they should do. If Thomas wants to play for us how do you not sign him with his upside.. But he isn't coming here to be a 7th D but then Malyavin isn't staying to be the 7th D.. MacDonald has shown he can play consistent OHL minutes. Great problem to have but damn will it be a tough decision. What do u guys wanna see them do on D cause I am torn.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I give Sarnia credit, they don't give up and play hard. I felt they were definitely fortunate to somehow win this game though. The Spits hit 6 posts, doubled Sarnia in shots and tripled them in Grade A scoring chances. I feel if the Spits play the same way and dominate most of the play they will win game 6 by several goals. Regardless, Sarnia definitely plays hard and deserves accolades for not giving up and having probably the best goalie in the OHL.
We hit 4 posts in game one. We were due for some puck luck :)
one thing though & i've seen your page saying this is WSR has to do a better job getting in Gaudreau's way. Much like Dipietro years back if he can see it he will save it 9/10 times. Hopefully is another great game tomorrow.

Reactions: The Howler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Bang on. I don't imagine many rosters in the O will be deeper than Sarnia's. The bottom-6 will have guys like Filak, MacDonell, Wainwright, Martone. Then you have McIntyre, Vogelsberg, Harper, Degelas, Lalkin, Doherty, Hall battling for those other 2 spots. Thats some serious depth. especially if Martone is an impact rookie which most expect he is.

Defence will be really interesting. They have a ton of guys so some will have to move. Malyavin is the biggest decision. He's only 17 & has a ton of potential. But where does he fit? There is a guaranteed 5 (if Dillingham is 3rd OA) with Mast, Ritchie, Daviault, Dillingham, Romeo. Then MacDonald has showed a lot of promise. Owen Thomas has had a fantastic year & has some crazy upside being 6'5" with legit skills, skating. Eveleigh will push for a spot, then u have Campbell, Green, Omeri from this class.

I genuinely don't know what they should do. If Thomas wants to play for us how do you not sign him with his upside.. But he isn't coming here to be a 7th D but then Malyavin isn't staying to be the 7th D.. MacDonald has shown he can play consistent OHL minutes. Great problem to have but damn will it be a tough decision. What do u guys wanna see them do on D cause I am torn.
Ya we have a great problems, I think Romeo is going to be a good shutdown defenceman next season. I think the coaches got him from thinking he’s a offensive defenceman and are getting him to play defence first hockey. I think he will add weight and strength to his huge frame and he could be a unit next season provided he continues to play physical shutdown defence first hockey.
Post automatically merged:

Also when the american prospects see our potential for next season they also might be interested in coming over and helping make this team a top contender (helps that the sting are building a brand new dressing, room, player lounge, weight room) (Moldenhauer, Perreault). If that happens we Weill definitely need to trade players which will get us much needed draft picks in return. We will be getting draft picks for Thornton and on of the OA’s aswell which will help recoup the cupboard.

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Lines for tonight:

MacDonell-Hill-Dann
DeGurse-Filak-Sikic
Namestnikov-Wainwright-Voit
Lalkin-Vogelsberg-McIntyre

Ritchie-Dillingham
MacDonald-Mast
Romeo-Daviault

Gaudreau

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Can’t generate nothing against the bigger faster spits. Don’t know how the spits didn’t get a penalty after their 2nd goal the guy clearly stepped into Degurse behind the net after the whistle, the replay showed it.

Reactions: YAhockeyfan

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021
Ya we have a great problems, I think Romeo is going to be a good shutdown defenceman next season. I think the coaches got him from thinking he’s a offensive defenceman and are getting him to play defence first hockey. I think he will add weight and strength to his huge frame and he could be a unit next season provided he continues to play physical shutdown defence first hockey.
Post automatically merged:

Also when the american prospects see our potential for next season they also might be interested in coming over and helping make this team a top contender (helps that the sting are building a brand new dressing, room, player lounge, weight room) (Moldenhauer, Perreault). If that happens we Weill definitely need to trade players which will get us much needed draft picks in return. We will be getting draft picks for Thornton and on of the OA’s aswell which will help recoup the cupboard.
The Sting have a good young core. They are not great on the back end, at least not to go deep in the playoffs.
If they end up keeping the older core to make a run, I would move Namestikov (good return if he gets drafted to the NHL). Just don't see him being as dominant as I thought he would be. I would move any or all of McIntyre, Lalkin, Vogelsberg, Pryce, MacDonald and either Hill/Burke- depending on who they decide to keep as an OA. That makes room for Moldenhauer, Perreault and an import pick for next year.
Also, they have to trade Thornton which should bring back a very good player.

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021

They need to improve badly on the backend. Honestly, I think they are the worst pick moving D I have seen, which was only the west conference. I'd keep Malyavin as he has some serious upside. He is a top 4 D yet they never trusted him and he was hurt a lot. Daveault will be better next year, and with Ritchie, Dilly and Romeo coming back a year older they will be better.
Not sure why you think Filak, MacDonnell and Wainwright will be in the bottom six considering all of them have been top six at times in the playoffs. It doesn't usually work that way in OHL where guys move down the depth chart as they get older. Although I do agree Wainwright should be bottom 6 as I have no idea why he has been higher in the lineup the past 2 months. He would be a great 4th line C.

deeferg

Oct 17, 2019
Well, that was a joke of a call. Sure looked like the whistle wasn't blown. Too bad, might have made these last 4 minutes super close.

Reactions: YAhockeyfan

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Hutchinson doing what he does best, completely ruining hockey games. That’s a goal. There’s absolutely zero argument that would justify it not being one. The puck was in the net Two seconds before he blew the whistle. Absolute garbage by a piece of shit official. Clown league. Brutal way to end it for Sarnia.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Hutchinson doing what he does best, completely ruining hockey games. That’s a goal. There’s absolutely zero argument that would justify it not being one. The puck was in the net Two seconds before he blew the whistle. Absolute garbage by a piece of shit official. Clown league. Brutal way to end it for Sarnia.
From a Windsor perspective it was a goal.
Sting got hosed.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Did Sarnia deserve to win tonight? Nope.

Now the we established that, Ryan Hutchison is a f*cking embarrassment to this league. Every SINGLE time he officiates something egregiously bad happens. In no world was that a no goal. As clear as it gets. He's lucky people didn't litter the ice which only happens when he comes to town.

Unreal way to end the year. I'd pay to never have him ref a game of ours again. what a joke.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I’ll give full props to Sarnia for making this a lot closer of a series then I imagined. They gave Windsor all they could handle. I’m not sure if Windsor was just not playing good for most of this series or if we actually played good. It’s hard to ignore how severely we were outshot and out chanced. I’ll be ok with the playoff experience for these young guys early on once I see how this Martone kid is….lol. Congrats Windsor, long wait so I get it..spits will need to step it up tho. Realistically they should have walked all over us. Even with Gaudreau.

One big event left for this team to officially close out the season coming up. Just gotta hit a home run in the import draft and things would be looking good heading into the summer.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
it's hard to even form an opinion on that game after that garbage. That 1st period was bizarre as both teams were more or less going through the motions. 2nd was better. 3rd WSR wasn't allowing much than those last 5 mins we really pushed. PP was absolutely horrific.

Very winnable game. Wasn't nearly enough traffic in front of Onuska all game. So many routine saves. Gaudreau was sensational once again. was the best player in the series & it wasn't close. Thought Filak was a beast tonight. Kid just gets how to play. Look out for him next year. Honestly thought Romeo had a helluva game & series to be honest. give me that Romeo all year & im happy, and retract my previous remarks about him/trade.

If Dann doesn't shoot more next year I will go insane. Has WAY to good of a shot to pass up so many looks. He gave a great effort tonight though & got our "only" goal.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Probably the best underdog series ive seen a Sting team have. Windsor is stacked & they made it a war all series. Gave them nothing. Obviously Gaudreau was unreal but I thought our defence had a helluva series. Felt like we really watched them grow, mature just as the series went on.

Never wanna get my excitement to high for this franchise as we know how it always ends but I have pretty high hopes for next years team which will be backstopped by the best goalie in the league. Hit a home run with that import pick & let's have a season to remember hopefully. great chatting with u guys all once again! was nice after the year off. Even if we don't see eye to eye I still enjoy it because we are talking Sting. have a great summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad