Sarnia Sting 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
If the team is planning on making any coaching or ownership changes they need to do it ASAP. The longer you wait the harder it will be to get our draft picks committed and all on the same page. The team is going to have an even harder time selling tickets this year because not many people will have disposable income and if they do they will be thinking long and hard about what and where they spend their money. However there are numerous things the team can do to turn over a new leaf with fans and the rest of Sarnia. They can market it as a new age or new era etc.... I as much as all of you would love to see the PASA packed on a nightly basis. Therefore as a short term loss but long term gain they should give first responder's and Bluewater Health employees season tickets for the upcoming season or at the very least dedicate all suites to them.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
The team may have a real problem selling tickets if there's not a change at the head coaching position. The abysmal defensive play of the team is the responsibility of the head coach and his staff. Can't see the fans lining up to buy tickets to watch that shiteshow again. The team underperformed badly and it looked like the head coach had thrown in the towel.

I agree 100% - i include myself under that category of not renewing my tickets if there isn't a coaching change.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
I agree 100% - i include myself under that category of not renewing my tickets if there isn't a coaching change.
I think we’ll hear more on the coaching situation after the u18 draft on wenseday all I know though is we better hear something before the import draft

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
A strong possibility for sure. From what i heard, the boys all respond well to Legwand. He ran the offence and they did not have any issues scoring goals the last few years. He's very engaged on the bench. I'm sure he is muzzled by Hacther in a lot of the decision making. I'd be ok with giving Legwand a fair chance if he had full control.
Totally agree. I honestly believe this team on paper should compete for the conference. From looking at the rosters the midwest might actually have a bad yr for the first time in what seems like forever.

This team should be deep everywhere. Especially if Namestnikov makes an instant impact. On D they have 7 returnees + Morden. In net they have IMO one of the better goalie tandems in the league. Gaudreau taking a step would be huge.

Two biggest things. They need to draft an impact player in the import draft (hopefully a 2C) & I'd be fine with Legwand as coach but I'd prefer a good veteran coaching staff.

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
Totally agree. I honestly believe this team on paper should compete for the conference. From looking at the rosters the midwest might actually have a bad yr for the first time in what seems like forever.

This team should be deep everywhere. Especially if Namestnikov makes an instant impact. On D they have 7 returnees + Morden. In net they have IMO one of the better goalie tandems in the league. Gaudreau taking a step would be huge.

Two biggest things. They need to draft an impact player in the import draft (hopefully a 2C) & I'd be fine with Legwand as coach but I'd prefer a good veteran coaching staff.
Management should be targeting someone like Samu Salminen. Real good center with great offensive awareness and solid defensive play as well.

Assuming he wants to come over here of course.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Management should be targeting someone like Samu Salminen. Real good center with great offensive awareness and solid defensive play as well.

Assuming he wants to come over here of course.
Be perfect. Really like the player to have some size. Way I see are top-6 is

Roth-Rees-Bitten/Guy
Voit-Import-Perreault.

4 smaller players. So a big C would be very nice. especially on a line with Voit/Perreault.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
What are your thoughts on who the "on the bubble players" are, that are going to have to really fight for a roster spot?

My guarantee's:

On Forward - Rees, Perreault, Bitten, Roth, Voit, Guy, Voit, Namestnikov, O'Donnell, Import, Dann
On Defense - Stratis, Hjorth, Reesor, Kammerer, Nolet, Mast

On the bubble - Hill, Burke, Degurse, Dillingham, Saye, Morden, McIntrye

Out - Mack, Jacko

There really isn't a whole lot of room on that roster. The Defense is basically all but set. Assuming a import comes over, there's only one or two other spots for 5 guys to fight over. I'm wondering if we will see some moves before the season starts.

Reactions: robp1219

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Seems pretty straight forward for Sarnia. Last year's roster had 26 names. You are losing 3 overagers and two more 19 year olds. That brings you down to 21 players. That includes 5 players born 2003.

To get to your 25 man roster you need to add four more names. You have Namestnikov, Morden, McIntyre pencilled in from the 2004 crop. That leaves one spot for an import. If you had a lot of growth from a 2003 born that you want to give a shot to, then maybe McIntyre plays as an affiliate for the year.

The Soo is in a a much tighter spot, even though we also have 21 players returning. Where we differ is we have only had 2 of our 2003 borns on our roster. So we only have 4 spots remaining for any additional 2003 above our top 2 picks last year, plus 2 of our 2004's. We have some 2003 borns that have put in some impressive seasons this year, so it's going to be really tight for us.

Tone

Jan 28, 2019
What are your thoughts on who the "on the bubble players" are, that are going to have to really fight for a roster spot?

My guarantee's:

On Forward - Rees, Perreault, Bitten, Roth, Voit, Guy, Voit, Namestnikov, O'Donnell, Import, Dann

Out - Mack, Jacko

There really isn't a whole lot of room on that roster. The Defense is basically all but set. Assuming a import comes over, there's only one or two other spots for 5 guys to fight over. I'm wondering if we will see some moves before the season starts.
I get that Voit is a good player, but I dont think he warrants taking up 2 spots on the guarantee list. Have you any info on how serious his injury is.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I get that Voit is a good player, but I dont think he warrants taking up 2 spots on the guarantee list. Have you any info on how serious his injury is.

lol - oops. I personally haven't heard anything. We all know how tight lipped the sting are in these situations.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Seems pretty straight forward for Sarnia. Last year's roster had 26 names. You are losing 3 overagers and two more 19 year olds. That brings you down to 21 players. That includes 5 players born 2003.

To get to your 25 man roster you need to add four more names. You have Namestnikov, Morden, McIntyre pencilled in from the 2004 crop. That leaves one spot for an import. If you had a lot of growth from a 2003 born that you want to give a shot to, then maybe McIntyre plays as an affiliate for the year.

The Soo is in a a much tighter spot, even though we also have 21 players returning. Where we differ is we have only had 2 of our 2003 borns on our roster. So we only have 4 spots remaining for any additional 2003 above our top 2 picks last year, plus 2 of our 2004's. We have some 2003 borns that have put in some impressive seasons this year, so it's going to be really tight for us.

I'm looking more at a full time spot, playing in all games or close to.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016

I'm looking more at a full time spot, playing in all games or close to.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

My guarantee's:

Out - Mack, Jacko

I think Hill is safe on forward so much speed and started to produce more. I also think dillingham is safe I think he’s a solid depth defenceman. I think it will be Degurse, McIntyre, saye and burke battling on forward. I think McIntyre will play tier 2 junior A and play big minutes like dann did. I think the battle on defence will be between morden and Nagra, Nagra had a good year in tier 2 junior A and could provide a more developed prospect. While Morden could go log big minutes at the tier 2 level.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Rees, roth, guy, import, voit, Perreault, bitten, Namestnikov, Hill, dann, O’Donnell, Degurse, saye, burke
McIntyre goes to Tier 2 Junior A

reesor, stratis, nolet, hjorth, Kammerer, mast, Dillingham, nagra
Morden goes to Tier 2 junior A

gaudreau, langevin

wouldn’t mind seeing that roster, lot of 19 year olds I think it’s wise the 04’s play a lot of games and big minutes in junior b or tier 2 junior a

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Rees, roth, guy, import, voit, Perreault, bitten, Namestnikov, Hill, dann, O’Donnell, Degurse, saye, burke
McIntyre goes to Tier 2 Junior A

reesor, stratis, nolet, hjorth, Kammerer, mast, Dillingham, nagra
Morden goes to Tier 2 junior A

gaudreau, langevin

wouldn’t mind seeing that roster, lot of 19 year olds I think it’s wise the 04’s play a lot of games and big minutes in junior b or tier 2 junior a
My cuts
Mack
Saye
Burke
Jako
And maybe Hjorth lots of upside offencevly but can’t defend worth sh*t

Additions
Nagra
Namestnikov
Morden
Degurse
Import

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I was told he broke his leg in practice. Which fricken sucks.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

My guarantee's:

Out - Mack, Jacko

My forward unit would be-

Roth-Rees-Bitten
Voit-Import-Perreault
Guy-Namestnikov-Dann
O'Donnell-Hill

That leaves Saye, Burke, DeGurse, McIntyre battling for the 4th line RW spot. I lean DeGurse but Saye/Burke are a year younger. McIntyre probably do what Dann did & play T6 mins a level below.

On D i have the same 6. Be really interesting to see what they do with Morden. Sinclair said he thinks he can make an immediate impact. I'd say Dillingham moved out but they may need him the year after with 4/77/95 all being OAs & Hjorth leaving.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Keegan McArthur

Just curious. He was drafted by the Sting but is listed as from Texas and playing for the Dallas Stars U15 team. How was he eligible for he OHL Draft and not limited to the WHL?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Keegan McArthur

Just curious. He was drafted by the Sting but is listed as from Texas and playing for the Dallas Stars U15 team. How was he eligible for he OHL Draft and not limited to the WHL?
Sarnia Observer says his dad is from Sarnia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad