Sarnia Sting 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Season canceled. Perfect opportunity for the team to be progressive and announce coaching and or ownership changes. Losing some major pieces in the off-season. Do we pick a d-man with our first pick hoping a couple of the guys take a big step forward or take a C? Wouldn't mind trading down a few spots and pick up an extra couple of picks by doing that? Also would love to see Gaudreau with a Assistant patch.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Season canceled. Perfect opportunity for the team to be progressive and announce coaching and or ownership changes. Losing some major pieces in the off-season. Do we pick a d-man with our first pick hoping a couple of the guys take a big step forward or take a C? Wouldn't mind trading down a few spots and pick up an extra couple of picks by doing that? Also would love to see Gaudreau with a Assistant patch.
You can't trade back in round 1.
I'm hoping for a Centre with McGregor moving on & 7 returning D.
Not sure a goalie has ever gotten a letter in the O.
Hopefully sometime next month they make an announcement. Dont wanna drag this out

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
You can't trade back in round 1.
I'm hoping for a Centre with McGregor moving on & 7 returning D.
Not sure a goalie has ever gotten a letter in the O.
Hopefully sometime next month they make an announcement. Dont wanna drag this out
I was implying we trade a second or a 3rd and try to gain more picks. Isn't this the year where we are thin for picks due to the Ang, Pezzetta etc... Trades from a few years ago? Is there a pick database we can look at? We do have 7 D however we need to solidify it. Ownership and or coaching changes before the draft could make it or break it for us.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I was implying we trade a second or a 3rd and try to gain more picks. Isn't this the year where we are thin for picks due to the Ang, Pezzetta etc... Trades from a few years ago? Is there a pick database we can look at? We do have 7 D however we need to solidify it. Ownership and or coaching changes before the draft could make it or break it for us.
For draft picks we have~
All are 2nds except 2023 & 2025
All of are 3rds
No 4ths in 2020, 2021 or 2023
Seven 5ths in next 5 drafts
All of are picks for the remaining rounds

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Poor choice. We don't need another forward. Fimis isn't even the best player on his team either.

Oh, we need another defensemen to add to our 7 we already have for next year? No, don't think so. Use your head. Fimis rated in the top 5 everywhere and was named GTHL player of the year. Not sure your argument has any valid points.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Thinking Pano Fimis should be Sarnia's 1st choice if he is on the board at #3.
That's who i want as well. Unfortunately with Fantilli going USHL the chance Fimis goes 1or2 is pretty high. Id be happy with Ludwinski or Wakely, too.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out with tbe number of high end Americans in this draft. Hope we don't take many unless we are 100% confident they'll show.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Oh, we need another defensemen to add to our 7 we already have for next year? No, don't think so. Use your head. Fimis rated in the top 5 everywhere and was named GTHL player of the year. Not sure your argument has any valid points.
I personally would be fine if we went into next season with the same 7 D under a new coach & system.

Next year is Rees' final year (boy time flies) & we don't have a Centre to step up & take his spot. I like Hill but he won't be a 1C, probably not a 2C either. We need another high-end C.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Its the OHL .... you win by having the best forwards. Would be a tragic mistake if Sarnia took a D man at 3 in the draft.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I disagree, see the D corps of ‘67s, Petes, Firebirds, Knights,
You're missing the point. Of course those team you mentioned have good defences They also have elite offences too. the point is you don't build a good defence by choosing them in the top 3. I know merkley but Peterborough traded him and look how well they're doing.

Reactions: robp1219

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Yep I think the sting should take a forward in both Ohl and import drafts with their high picks in the 1st rounds. I’m also confident in our defenceman heading into next season provided we have a good coach that knows what he is doing and the defence stays reasonably healthy. Also I like the goalie tandem behind the defence.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The OHL draft is easier for me. I think it's C all the way. Import draft on the other hand is difficult. While i want a stud 2C to play behind Rees if there is some stud, top pair Dman it would be awfully tough to pass on.

While I've said multiple times i have some confidence in are D Core it does lack a true horse to play 25+ Mins & still produce.

Be interesting to see if they even have a rookie camp with everything being cancelled. Always something i enjoy going to & checking out the draft class.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
The OHL draft is easier for me. I think it's C all the way. Import draft on the other hand is difficult. While i want a stud 2C to play behind Rees if there is some stud, top pair Dman it would be awfully tough to pass on.

While I've said multiple times i have some confidence in are D Core it does lack a true horse to play 25+ Mins & still produce.

Be interesting to see if they even have a rookie camp with everything being cancelled. Always something i enjoy going to & checking out the draft class.

If anyone on the current roster can eventually get to that level, I think it's Nolet.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If anyone on the current roster can eventually get to that level, I think it's Nolet.
I think Hjorth could be a 50+ PT guy. Nolet will be very interesting to watch. I'm not sure what to expect from him. Skates so well, great passer, solid defender. What a find by Sinclair.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
And Nolet had the best +/- on the team. Was he used on the PK? Sometimes that can inflate your +/-

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

This is tough. Stamkos is obviously a lock. Jon Sim probably on there. Should Konecny be eligible since he was only here 25 games? Kyrou 2nd all-time in points.. Newbury, Letowski, Dibenedetto, Yakupov also great numbers.

On D any of Katic, DeAngelo, Delmore, Wilson. All had fantastic OHL careers.

In net Fazio, Hewitt, Munce all were awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad