Sarnia Sting 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
A son Thornton’s new gear I think this means he will be with the sting and I think that means langer is gone

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
A son Thornton’s new gear I think this means he will be with the sting and I think that means langer is gone

They might have to carry three goalies up until the trade deadline because of the current health situation.No way I move a goalie & have the trade back fire due to Covid.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
They might have to carry three goalies up until the trade deadline because of the current health situation.No way I move a goalie & have the trade back fire due to Covid.
Also a lot of games might be played in a Short period of time, might help spreading the workload on 3 goalies rather than two

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Also a lot of games might be played in a Short period of time, might help spreading the workload on 3 goalies rather than two
I’ve been doing some thinking that if we don’t have a good start it might be time to move on Rees and here are my thoughts of what I’d like to see us get for him
Trade 1
Rees/langer to the SOO for Mcconell-barker and Jacob Holmes
Trade 2 Rees to Oshawa for Harrison and picks
Trade 3 might be a long shot though Rees to Saginaw for the rights to Fantilli and picks
All these ideas I think could help make us a contender next year and the year after my favourite personally is the SOO I believe Mcconell
barker will be a stud in a year or two and I think Holmes could be a top 2 demand next year

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Rees still in the hunt for a roster spot on Team Canada. Final 9 cuts coming after tonight's final inter-squad game. Rees picked another goal last night.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Well Rees has been cut. I guess being one of team Reds best forwards and the player who showed the most grit and hardest work ethic through the whole camp is not good enough. Shafted.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Well Rees has been cut. I guess being one of team Reds best forwards and the player who showed the most grit and hardest work ethic through the whole camp is not good enough. Shafted.
I know this team is stacked but I really thought he played better than Suzuki in the two games we saw. I also thought he would have fit better in that 14th forward spot. Hopefully he'll just use this as motivation to set the OHL on fire this year. (If we have a season)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I know this team is stacked but I really thought he played better than Suzuki in the two games we saw. I also thought he would have fit better in that 14th forward spot. Hopefully he'll just use this as motivation to set the OHL on fire this year. (If we have a season)
Yes agreed to me Suzuki was the surprise not that he played badly and he's quite the player. I suspect his familiarity with Perfetti helped especially that they lost two weeks of practise. In a short tournament it possibly factored in. As I said on the junior thread I am dissapointed Rees did not make it.Always liked him (in a hateful kind of way) when he played Ottawa.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
As much as I would have loved to see Rees on the team, I agree with him being cut. With all the talent available, the problem with Rees is he does dumb shit from time to time. That is why I think he was cut.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

It's Team Canada at the World Juniors. Every single player has a good work ethic lol. Just because he's on your favourite team, doesn't mean he works harder than every other player. That's just crazy to claim that.

But the bigger thing here is that literally every single forward who made the team is an NHL first round draft pick. Rees is not one. That doesn't mean he's not a good player, but it means this argument has no merit. Not to mention no matter how good Rees is, you don't think its a legitimate concern that at any point he could throw a very dirty hit and put the team down for 5 minutes? He's done that his whole OHL career and Tourigny would know that very well

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
It's Team Canada at the World Juniors. Every single player has a good work ethic lol. Just because he's on your favourite team, doesn't mean he works harder than every other player. That's just crazy to claim that.

But the bigger thing here is that literally every single forward who made the team is an NHL first round draft pick. Rees is not one. That doesn't mean he's not a good player, but it means this argument has no merit. Not to mention no matter how good Rees is, you don't think its a legitimate concern that at any point he could throw a very dirty hit and put the team down for 5 minutes? He's done that his whole OHL career and Tourigny would know that very well
I think the concern with discipline may have been separating factor between him and the 14th forward (presumably Suzuki). Even though he wasn't a first round pick there really didn't seem to be a discrepancy in talent between him and the last forwards that made the team. It's a Jekyll and Hyde situation with him. On the one hand, you could get the player who is physical and is always after the puck. While on the other hand, you could get the player who gets too amped up, throws a dirty hit, and makes you kill off a 5 minute penalty in a critical spot. I think the unpredictability of what's he's going to do kept him off the team not a discrepancy in skill between him and the other forwards that made the team.

Reactions: Texcanuck

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016

It has nothing to do with him being on the Sting. Tourigny said the players who perform best at camp will make the team. That clearly wasn't the case as Rees out performed a number of the players who did make it. Based on the various stats, reports and roster predictions given by hockey minds much greater then yourself, he should have been on it. You've been an anti-Rees advocate here and on twitter, go save it for your own thread.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
It has nothing to do with him being on the Sting. Tourigny said the players who perform best at camp will make the team. That clearly wasn't the case as Rees out performed a number of the players who did make it. Based on the various stats, reports and roster predictions given by hockey minds much greater then yourself, he should have been on it. You've been an anti-Rees advocate here and on twitter, go save it for your own thread.
Ouch

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
And his work ethic has nothing to do with him being on our team, I remember us bashing Ruzicka for being lazy at times and he was on our team lol, we give him praise for his work ethic and motor because that’s what we see and that’s his game not because he’s on our favourite team . He was also praised many times by the TSN analyst at the U18’s and Ivan Hlinka tournament. Which he played very well in both tournaments for Canada.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
And his work ethic has nothing to do with him being on our team, I remember us bashing Ruzicka for being lazy at times and he was on our team lol, we give him praise for his work ethic and motor because that’s what we see and that’s his game not because he’s on our favourite team . He was also praised many times by the TSN analyst at the U18’s and Ivan Hlinka tournament. Which he played very well in both tournaments for Canada.
I tweeted this quote from Craig Button on Rees from the second scrimmage broadcast, it conveys what you're saying perfectly

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
All great comments above. But you also have to take into consideration of his past and his suspensions. As I previously stated, Team Canada doesn't need to take the risk of Rees doing something dumb and taking a major penalty. There is enough talent at the camp that the reward of taking Rees is not greater than the risk.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
All great comments above. But you also have to take into consideration of his past and his suspensions. As I previously stated, Team Canada doesn't need to take the risk of Rees doing something dumb and taking a major penalty. There is enough talent at the camp that the reward of taking Rees is not greater than the risk.

I disagree, the past is the past. Focus on the player you have standing in front of you today, not the one from over a year ago. A lot of maturity and changes to a player and their development can happen in a year.

Reactions: The Howler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Dach is out of World juniors with injury I wonder if they can add a player since the tourney hasn’t started.... Rees lol

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad